What features do you think will be included in iOS 7? You can be featured in blog post!!!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
***I know similar threads regarding this topic exist but this one is a bit different as your post here may appear in a blog post on the front page.***

What features would you like to see in iOS 7? Please keep the features you mention realistic and as descriptive as possible as your posts may appear in an upcoming blog post.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: What features do you think will be included in iOS 7?

I'd like to see ongoing improvements in Maps... Do Not Disturb allow for using 3rd party clock/'nightstand' type apps and have DnD still do its thing... the ability to do what iBlacklist does for jailbroken devices in the stock iOS... and I'd like the wifi functions play nicer with wifi hotspots that require a web site to authenticate.

mariobros27772

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I have been posting this a lot lately, but Facebook Chat integration in Messages, similar to OS X. In fact, make OS X and iOS look even more alike. Also, quick settings in iOS.

anon5715870

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I'd like to see the Spotlight screen turned into a user-configurable widget screen. That screen is totally wasted for me and I do like some of the widgets I have on my bargain Android phone.

Also, for the love of God, let me disable Newsstand!

Blueberryin

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I would really like to see a quick iMessage reply option sort of like the "Tap to Tweet" and "Tap to Post" for Twitter and Facebook. Most, if not all, of my texts only require a quick reply which does not require me to fully go into the messaging app. Would be helpful.

geoffjphoto

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

I would like to see the ability to hide permanent apps like Newstand and compass.

Roshizzle731

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

Since they're probably not going to change the way the OS looks I would really like a function to delete documents and data to free up space easier without having to delete and redownload the app. And faster/easier access to wifi and bluetooth settings would be really nice.

rgsteele

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to receive some kind of feedback if I submit a problem report in Apple Maps. As of now, there is no acknowledgement of receipt of your report, whether it's being worked on or anything. I've submitted a number of updates to the map in my area but have seen no results. For all I know, these problem reports could be going straight into the trash.

I hope we'll see some sort of integration between Siri and third-party apps. Imagine being able to use commands like "Look up John Smith on Facebook" or "Search Urbanspoon for a good Italian restaurant". In a somewhat related vein, I'd also like to have the option to change the default application for things like email, web browsing and maps.

It would be great to be able to have separate "security zones" for personal and work data. Right now, if you add your work email to your device using ActiveSync, the whole device is subject to your employer's device security policies. For example, you may be required to use a passcode with specific complexity requirements, and they might also block the installation of apps like Dropbox if they are concerned about data theft. Not only that, your IT department can send a command to wipe your whole device if they believe it was lost or stolen, or you get fired, or they're feeling spiteful, or... With multiple security zones, you could have a separate area with your work email and data, protected with its own password. If IT sends a wipe command, it would only erase the data in the "work" zone. (Yes, I'm asking Apple to copy BlackBerry Balance.)

cmcduffie69

May 3, 2012
Visit site

Simply put...I would like Siri to be available for offline use. If the program could tell if it was not connected to the network, it would only default for searches such as contacts and appointments, as well as jotting down a note, reminder, or calendar appointment. That would be the most useful for me.

Irelandjnr

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Up-to-date app icons (not ‘live’) for weather, clock and calendar apps; default, and third party.

A dedicated dictionary app.

A dedicated weather app on iPad.

A dedicated calculator app on iPad.

Quick access to brightness on iPhone.

Quick reply for texts.

Scrollable folders (one big gaming folder, woo!)

More reliable iMessage sending and syncing infrastructure.

Clear all button in NC.

Per-app password (on/off option).

OS settings Siri commands (e.g. “turn off WiFi and Bluetooth”).

B&W edit option in photos app.

Ability to copy part of a text message.

Ability to cancel outgoing text before progress bar reaches the end.

Ability to cancel a-yet-to-read “Delivered” iMessage.

App direct-dev feedback: users can get help or provide bug or product feedback directly to the developer via their app page. Users messages appear for the developer in iTunes Connect and responses from the developer appear to the user as push notifications.

Silent glyph in status bar to inform the user their iPhone switch is set to silent.

System auto-merges iMessage convos for same person.

Mail icon read count badge updates automatically for e-mails which are read on another device. Currently you need to open the iOS Mail app to update the icon to get rid of the unread badge number, which is totally inconvenient.

A rethinking of some fundamentals. And I don’t mean the home screen. What The Verge calls dated with regards the consistent home screen layout for the last 6 releases of iOS I call good design. It’s simple, obvious, reliable and predictable. Toddlers to OAPs who’ve never used it before ‘get it’ in 10 seconds. It works incredibly well while looking the same. And therein lies Apple’s genius. So clever you don’t notice it. And you shouldn’t.

Since iOS 1.0 they’ve added to the home screen, multiple home screens, wallpapers, the ability to download, rearrange and delete apps, the ability to create, name, rename and dissolve folders, and the ability to search your whole phone. That’s no mean feat given that it appears as if the UI is invisible. It’s like they’ve added nothing. The Verge and the other vocal minority take all of this for granted. They wouldn’t admit this, but they are basically looking for a wizz-bang addition. And yet it’s that type of thinking that messes up a thing like a home screen. They are not looking for what’s really important: good design. They’d say they are, but they aren’t.

Could the home screen be improved? Of course. ‘How’ is the question. It’s not totally obvious. Flashing icons like Windows Phone are not the answer. And widgets are a joke. A lock screen is a lock screen is a lock screen is a lock screen. A weather app icon that updates hourly with the current weather and temperature would be an elegant solution to the request for slapped on widgets. It would be simple, seamless, and unobtrusive. And by keeping such a feature to a specific subset of apps (weather, clock and calendar apps) it ensures that millions of developers don’t get the opportunity of abusing it and ruining the perfect elegance of the iOS home screen. As many of them now try to do with regards their use of notifications.

Apple could easily add features all over the place on iOS, but I’m glad they add them systematically and thoughtfully. I’ve used Android for a few minutes at a time here and there, and that’s all it takes to realise just how right Apple nailed a lot of the basics. You take it for granted until you see it poorly executed. And that’s my list.

CORYK333

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

Wow, at first I honestly thought a few of the 1st/smaller requests you made were nitpicking & I said, here we go again with the same trivial requests.....BUT after finishing it, that was an excellent, well thought out post. Loved the detailed paragraph about design & Apples overall "smoothness" when it comes to adding things people (mostly tech sites) take for granted bc they aren't "WOW" additions, just additions that make the OS work a lot better for users. You get my interwebz award for the day (tips my cap)

Xytal

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site

There are several things I'd love to see adjusted for iOS 7:

1. I'd like to see a quick settings panel (either in notification center or in the multitasking bar).
  2. I'd like to see some change to the way notification center works. I'd like to see the animation be different (the springboard slides down instead of it being a shade). I'd like to see notifications be actionalable. Side them away, quick reply, etc. All notification is is a catch all for notifications... which is sad, as it could be so much more. =\
  3. I'd love to see a chat head like interface for iMessages. It doesn't have to be chat heads (unless Facebook and Apple are working on bring that to the system, and I won't lie, it'd be spiffy to iMessage, SMS, or Facebook Message without having to do anything), but iOS needs some kind of quick reply feature throughout the OS. And if they can do this, maybe they'll do it with other things like e-mail.
  4. Offline Siri. Plain and simple, iOS needs this. Basic things like e-mail and messaging needs to be done on the phone and I should have to send out to the server unless I am asking for information that isn't on the phone. Siri, when she works fast, is great for messaging in the car... but when she is slow to respond? Ugh, kill me now.
  5. Possible a file system type app, or APIs, to allow programs to communicate with each other. This could be extended to allow more powerful apps that run outside of their sandbox. But the latter part there is most likely not going to happen.
  6. More multitasking APIs to allow more powerful apps. An example would be a background task API for e-mail programs, and one for turn-by-turn directions, etc.

I think thats it, for the moment. Honestly, my biggest one, is a better messaging system (with offline Siri being a close second). The messaging system became an even bigger deal when chat heads was released.

Tanner Carter

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site

For the love of PETE! PLEASE, can we look into having a direct way to attach media (photos, videos, cloud storage options such as Dropbox, Box, etc...) FROM THE EMAIL app itself? As a business traveler, nothing is worse when slinging emails that might actually require a reply with attachment, or (gasp) multiple attachments. The fact that Android, and even Blackberry makes this basic feature, and iPhone's feature rich sets do not is baffling.

Other than that, Maps improvement, call blocking (number specific, not JUST turning call blocking for ALL calls on or off).

If I had these simple improvements, I could convince my company without a DOUBT that iPhone was the way to STAY as they re-evaluate our handsets this summer. My boss is all excited about the Q10, and while it's a nice, capable device, I like what I like...

C'mon, Apple Dev folks. Let's do this!

zma15

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

-More use of the Notification bar. I would like to enter it first, and then have the option to enter the menu of apps.
-quick settings
-more multitasking
-different feel to the phone
-widgets(?)
-center for messages. the ability to connect whats-app, Facebook messenger to imessages.

pottsee1

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site

iOS7 brainstorming

We're no where near the new version and most likely nothing we're talking about will happen. However, if I can catch the eye of anyone (especially Apple) that might consider these options for the next iteration...

Vertical Scrolling
Everyone is familiar with the multi-page interface. It would be interesting to see what vertical scrolling might add. I could have an extended page for games, one for utilities, news and so on.
Hidden UUID
The ability to provide custom advertising to me as a user should be 100% opt-in. Apple should respect their customer's privacy first and eliminate access to the UUID completely. Apps that wish to track individuals should clearly state what is going to be done. "Opt-in always wins, opt-out raises doubt" (yeah I just made that up)
Don't call it iRadio
An iTunes streaming service sounds fantastic. But Apple should not stop only at music. Movies, magazines, podcasts, books should also be included. Dubbing the service iRadio, as it currently is being tagged, immediately limits the potential for the program by implying that it is only a music based service. (Amazon Prime will offer more than Apple if they limit the feature to music alone.)
Don't call it iRadio pt.2
Wish list items should be immediately available to users who register for the new streaming service. I've piled up a decent wish list in iTunes so far. Having that ready would certainly satisfy the service's instant gratification aspect. Plus, if the service gets announced before it actually launches users could start prepping their song selections before it is available.
Photo Albums
I like creating albums to organize my photos in iOS. It makes it much easier to view specific events. However, I must enter the album before adding more photos to it. If I just took a picture of my dog I want to be able to add it to the album the first time I view the pic in the main Camera Roll. Add a button to the "Share" options named "Add to Album".
Disk Utility
OSX has a feature to repair permissions and in at least a basic sense correct issues with the operating system. I often wonder how this might help the mobile operating system. I know iOS is the "most advanced" mobile operating system there is but a little preventative maintenance when an app crashes could be great.
I got my finger in the pic again
For those of us that like using the volume up feature when holding the phone like a traditional camera… move the location of the camera lens to the opposite side of the phone. Even placed in the middle would be a help.
Siri Slideshow
Continued/improved integration for Siri would be greatly beneficial. For example: "Play a photo slideshow of the album birthday."
Should have been in iOS (1.0)
If I shoot a video with the camera, put it under "Videos", not "Photos". I'm constantly amazed by this oversight. (If it's an iTunes thing for rented movies keep them in iTunes.)
Corporate Enterprise
This area still offers a huge opportunity to Apple. Offering updates like physically segregated memory locations, physical bluetooth and wifi on/off buttons, call & text blocking, would be a huge bonus for professionals that want greater control over their data. I would expect corporate types to accept larger price tags on phones with these additional features. A large phone would offer additional space (wink wink).
Daily DND
The do not disturb feature is great. I would like to see it expanded to allow for daily settings. For example, I use it at work to prevent anyone other than my favorite contacts from bothering me. However, in order to schedule that I have to have it enabled every day of the week, including the weekend when I'm not concerned about limiting calls.
I have too many apps
The more apps you have the harder it becomes to find them using the main user interface. An app launcher that could be enabled in the notification center would be a huge help. Users would simply slide down to open notifications and the select "Launch App". This pulls up an alphabetical list of all apps on the device. Users then scroll to the app they want to open, tap and go. Four simple gestures is better than scrolling through eight screens. (1.Swipe to open notifications 2.Tap to open list 3.Scroll to desired app 4.Tap to open)
Settings as Icons
I would like an option to enable settings as its own folder in the user interface. As more and more settings are added to the system these shortcuts would offer easier access to greater control.
More wallpapers
I find it interesting that the only way I was able to get a solid color for a background was to add the image myself. Black iPhones look rockin' with a black background.
Bed Time
It seems like everyone is asking for a night mode that display a dimly lit clock. It may not be necessary to reinvent the alarm-clock wheel but insomniacs everywhere need something to stare at from their pillow.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Make messages app more like messages for Mac. The ability to add other services like yahoo and Facebook. Then I could get rid of IM+.

The ability to show nicknames over the full name when someone calls, or when creating emails/texts/iMessages. The way I currently handle this is to create an additional contact card with only the nickname as the first name and unite it with the contact card with the full details. Bit of a hassle. I'd rather see "mamma" calling versus her full name.

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

I have too many apps
The more apps you have the harder it becomes to find them using the main user interface. An app launcher that could be enabled in the notification center would be a huge help. Users would simply slide down to open notifications and the select "Launch App". This pulls up an alphabetical list of all apps on the device. Users then scroll to the app they want to open, tap and go. Four simple gestures is better than scrolling through eight screens. (1.Swipe to open notifications 2.Tap to open list 3.Scroll to desired app 4.Tap to open)

I sincerely doubt we would see this. You have similar functionality in fewer steps with spotlight search. Swipe right, type the first few characters of the app name. Launch. It takes less than a second for me to go from home page to launching apps. And getting to spotlight is a simpler gesture than dragging down notification center.

CSI Guy

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

Better contact management features like follow up reminders for contacts. Say I meet with a client and need to contact him or her at a later date, have a reminder to email, call or meet with contact at a later time as a follow up.

ngc

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

The ability to:
- Send attachments in the native Mail app... Photos, documents, etc...
- Different sounds to each email account
- Make iMessage more visually friendly (avatars could be a good start)
- Make the Weather app show the current temp at least (not widgets, just the weather)
- The ability to hide or delete certain apps (newstand, stocks, etc)
- I would like to see when someone calls the company field in the Contacts app of that person

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR