Thoughts on a revamped UI for iOS 7???

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
All these live icons and widgets I keep hearing about is only going to hog the battery.

The current home screen layout is good enough. What iOS needs is a better app switcher and for lock screen notifications to remain even after unlock if the app wasn't opened or the notification cleared. A file manager for documents would be welcome as well.

Other than that some UI tweaks here and there will suffice like moving notification centre to where spotlight search is (who actually uses spotlight) and the current notification centre gesture be reserved for system toggles.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I think a little change to the UI would be good. I like it how it is now but at the same time a little update to the os wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Tapatalking

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't care about widgets, but the live icon battery hog argument is stupid. A weather icon that checks in every now and then isn't going to decrease your battery from 7 hours (random number) to 5. Game icons don't need to be live. People are usually around chargers anyways. Bottom line...battery hog claims for small UI tweaks is flat out dumb.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about widgets, but the live icon battery hog argument is stupid. A weather icon that checks in every now and then isn't going to decrease your battery from 7 hours (random number) to 5. Game icons don't need to be live. People are usually around chargers anyways. Bottom line...battery hog claims for small UI tweaks is flat out dumb.

A live weather icon makes no sense at this point because a simple swipe from the top gives you detailed info about the weather. This whole live icon talk is silly at best because the icon is so small that detail will be limited.

And yes, live icons will have a negative effect on the battery. Maybe not earth shattering but it's additional processes running in the background.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
A live weather icon makes no sense at this point because a simple swipe from the top gives you detailed info about the weather. This whole live icon talk is silly at best because the icon is so small that detail will be limited.

And yes, live icons will have a negative effect on the battery. Maybe not earth shattering but it's additional processes running in the background.

I've actually come across several iOS users who weren't aware of the notification center or stopped using it because it's rather unintuitive (which it is in some ways). Anyways, the weather icon was an example. As far as additional processes and battery drainage...big damn deal. The majority of iPhone users have a way to get their phones charged on short notice. You want to advance the OS? Expect some losses...battery always being the first thing.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Or you know they could make the battery bigger. I mean it doesn't have to be super thin, add another 1 mm and make the battery larger. iPhone battery is already tiny as it is.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
You do know that there are other platforms offering what you want. I know these threads are merely chit chat but it seems like you will be better off switching to a platform already offering this.

About increasing the size of the battery... Not going to do to much good. Just have a look at the various Android users complaining about battery life.

I think Apple can utilise the lock screen and spotlight for info at a glance. As far as I'm concerned live icons is just plain down stupid and would more than likely drive me away from an otherwise gorgeous experience.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
You do know that there are other platforms offering what you want. I know these threads are merely chit chat but it seems like you will be better off switching to a platform already offering this.

About increasing the size of the battery... Not going to do to much good. Just have a look at the various Android users complaining about battery life.

Look at the various iPhone users complaining about the battery as well. It goes both ways here. I am not saying I am looking at switching platforms. This is a chit chat thread and I will voice my opinion. Get used to it. kthxbye

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Look at the various iPhone users complaining about the battery as well. It goes both ways here. I am not saying I am looking at switching platforms. This is a chit chat thread and I will voice my opinion. Get used to it. kthxbye

I have no problem with chit chat but when you start your initial argument with "It does need to be updated." Then it comes across like the OS is not good enough. If that is the case then it's time to move on to a OS that does all these wonderful things.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have no problem with chit chat but when you start your initial argument with "It does need to be updated." Then it comes across like the OS is not good enough. If that is the case then it's time to move on to a OS that does all these wonderful things.

Waaaah. No one said it wasn't good enough, but the reality is simple. Yes it works, but it DOES need to be updated, not just a garbage iOS 5 to 6 type update. Think more of 2 to 3. That was a leap in usability. Apple needs to really get their act together from an iOS standpoint. They are just doing incremental updates and only adding silly things, while laying groundwork for future things (passbook). File system access would be great for a document type repository for attachments.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I think Apple can utilise the lock screen and spotlight for info at a glance. As far as I'm concerned live icons is just plain down stupid and would more than likely drive me away from an otherwise gorgeous experience.

Except look at phones like the note or razr maxx which are only slightly thicker than e iPhone yet have a battery more than 2x that of the iPhone. Larger battery would help, saying it won't do anything is crazy.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Except look at phones like the note or razr maxx which are only slightly thicker than e iPhone yet have a battery more than 2x that of the iPhone. Larger battery would help, saying it won't do anything is crazy.

You have to look at it in context. Both the Note and the Razr Maxx have far larger footprints. How are you going to fit batteries that size in the iPhone 5?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You have to look at it in context. Both the Note and the Razr Maxx have far larger footprints. How are you going to fit batteries that size in the iPhone 5?

Look a the actual battery and you will see it isn't much larger that it couldn't fit in iPhone size. Especially the notes battery it's not like the battery takes up even a majority of the phone. I mean if you are ok with subpar battery life then ok.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Look a the actual battery and you will see it isn't much larger that it couldn't fit in iPhone size. Especially the notes battery it's not like the battery takes up even a majority of the phone. I mean if you are ok with subpar battery life then ok.

This is getting crazy... Don't you think that Apple would have put in 3300 mAh if they could? Or are they persisting with the 1400 mAh battery out of spite?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This is getting crazy... Don't you think that Apple would have put in 3300 mAh if they could? Or are they persisting with the 1400 mAh battery out of spite?

If anyone can do it apple would be the one. Plus I never said they need a battery that large for IOS a 2000mah battery would probably be plenty but I'm sure they could stick a larger battery in the relative same size as the current iPhone. Even if they had to make it a mm or so thicker

Ben Swanson

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure hoping they tone down some of the harsher skeuomorphic design elements. I don't mind some skeuomorphism, as it can be a nice way to make it more obvious how to use touch interfaces (by providing context from the real world) while adding visual flair, but some of the current design just goes too far. I'm thinking of game center as the worst offender here. So many ugly "natural" textures and wood elements that look like they were pulled straight out of 1998. And I'd like to see the textile background in notification center toned down as well. It's cool that they want to show off the retina display with detailed textures, but it all becomes too distracting from the content that actually matters... subtlety is good

greeniemax

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I love iPhone but I use Nexus 4 too, just because iOS is boring, been using it for 6 years now and I need a change on UI. Change something make it different add widgets on other screen before search.

I really don't want to see same old UI again, Android is good it's almost there with Quad core CPU and 1.5GHz clock speed, but still it's not up to mark, it's sluggish and slow when you are inside an app.

Please Apple change it or 7th edition will be really boring.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I love iPhone but I use Nexus 4 too, just because iOS is boring, been using it for 6 years now and I need a change on UI. Change something make it different add widgets on other screen before search.

I really don't want to see same old UI again, Android is good it's almost there with Quad core CPU and 1.5GHz clock speed, but still it's not up to mark, it's sluggish and slow when you are inside an app.

Please Apple change it or 7th edition will be really boring.

Not even widgets but how about the ability to be able to place an app anywhere on the screen rather than in the next slot on the grid. I mean little things like that would be a nice addition and wouldnt take away from the core "it just works" idea

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It's going to remain a screen with rows of icons. Apple may add in more function to the icons, but the overall design won't, and doesn't need to, change. I think that the native apps will all see some shifts away from skeumorphism to a more digitized look. But overall, no drastic changes in function. I think they have some big new features and apps planned for iOS 7, though.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR