How often do you clear the multitasking?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I clear it every time I exit an app, unless I need to have Safari and the App store and Youtube open at the same time. I usually clear it all the time, except in that situation :)

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.3

Never touched multitasking pane once. Only switched between apps via Zephyr.
Obviously to get this kind of battery life I had to disable a lot of syncs, this was more of an experiment than anything. LTE and wifi was always enabled and obviously I used wifi at home/work.

88 hours standby:
IMG_0561.PNG

As you see there really isn't much, if any, battery life benefit from closing apps.

With full syncs I got ~48 hours per charge, same as my 5s on 7.1.2
I don't find any difference in battery life between 5 and 5s to be honest. I simply wish I could put 6.1.3 on my 5s =P it's a snappier OS.

I agree that devices slow down when they are kissing the RAM ceiling constantly. Recently I've been using CCToggles to kill all apps except for the ones I specify. I excluded all my messaging and social apps which sync, those are never killed by the command.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Only specific apps for specific reasons. The iPhone manages RAM rather well. It's best to leave the background apps be for the most part. When an app gets closed, it takes more resources to start it back up than if you just leave it alone. There are a few exceptions that are last resorts to solve issues.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Only specific apps for specific reasons. The iPhone manages RAM rather well. It's best to leave the background apps be for the most part. When an app gets closed, it takes more resources to start it back up than if you just leave it alone. There are a few exceptions that are last resorts to solve issues.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Hmmm...good to know. What apps are the best to leave open in the background? I usually just clear everything out when I finish.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I typically clear them once or twice a day. There's really only about 4 or 5 apps I even open throughout the day. :) Interesting to see other peoples theories as well though.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

xStagGx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I do it every time I stop using an app. Bad habit from android, tho - becouse from one hand I know that iOS has good ram/battery management, but in other hand I'm afraid that if I would not do so, it would affect battery life ;/ I have 150 apps, so I wouldn't mind having them all on multitasking....

UPDATE:
Well, yesterday I stopped clearing the multitasking window. At night I turned on Irplane node on, and after 10hrs phone drained 11% battery. - about 12 apps were in multitasking. Usually, when I was clearing multitasking, phone didn't drained even a single percent.

Seems like cleaning MT window each time I stop using an app is best choise for battery life.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What you need to do, is turn off Background App Refresh for all apps. Turn off Auto Updates for App Store. They update during the night. Turn off location services for Facebook and Twitter. I go to bed with 100% charge. I wake up with between 97% and 100% charge. I do not delete the background apps. The iPhone manages RAM very well. Starting the apps back up takes more battery than just leaving them be.

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
What you need to do, is turn off Background App Refresh for all apps. Turn off Auto Updates for App Store. They update during the night. Turn off location services for Facebook and Twitter. I go to bed with 100% charge. I wake up with between 97% and 100% charge. I do not delete the background apps. The iPhone manages RAM very well. Starting the apps back up takes more battery than just leaving them be.

For some reason Skype icon badges don't work with Background App Refresh Disabled. It will still show the notification on lockscreen and in the notification centre, but the icon badge only works when Background App Refresh is enabled for this app. I turned the option off for all other apps and would love to do so for Skype as well, but I can't find a workaround for this..

Still on Skype version 5.1.260 as the latest has terrible user reviews (two stars average).
Apologies for being slightly offtopic.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For some reason Skype icon badges don't work with Background App Refresh Disabled. It will still show the notification on lockscreen and in the notification centre, but the icon badge only works when Background App Refresh is enabled for this app. I turned the option off for all other apps and would love to do so for Skype as well, but I can't find a workaround for this..

Still on Skype version 5.1.260 as the latest has terrible user reviews (two stars average).
Apologies for being slightly offtopic.
That's odd. Try turning background app refresh off for Skype. Then delete Skype by making the apps wiggle and tap the x. Then reinstall Skype. Check to make sure refresh is off. See what happens. Notifications and background app refresh should not be dependent on one another. I never heard of that with any app.

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Did so last night, no luck. If I enter skype and exit real quick, it will then show the app badge. I've turned off background app refresh completely anyway as I forgot of the added benefit that it disables geofencing =)

Last edited:

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I clear everything whenever I know I won't be touching the phone for a while. Like before bed for example.

I will also immediately clear apps that uses GPS or games.

Other than that I just leave it be since iOS handles those pretty well. And I have background app refresh set up the way I like it already so I know there won't be any apps running in the background when they aren't supposed to.

nomoregames

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I think skype is almost always running in the background, cuz when is it in the multitasking even i dont use the phone the usage is growing, i quited the app from the multitasking and it goes back to normal, someone else?

veritas_vincit

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Once every day and then I reboot the device (both iPhone and iPad). This helps conserve more battery power during the day.

Sent from my iOS device using iMore Forums

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Rarely, if ever. I leave background app refresh on for most apps (unless they're something power-hungry like Skype or Facebook). I always have Facebook Paper, Safari, and iMore Forums open. Other apps I open and close as I need.

As a rule, to conserve battery life, if there's an app that I use constantly all day, it stays in the MT all day, and lesser-used apps I jettison if I spend an hour without switching to them.

I never really "clear" my MT window. Always leave some apps open.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Soon as I'm finished doing whatever it is I'm using em for. Usually I'll have 4-5 open at once. Battery sees normal use still to me

Tapatalk'n On The 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal