How often do you clear the multitasking?

nomoregames

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I used to have 2-3 apps and always immediately to close them from the multitasking but i read that this is using more battery when killing the apps and then again launching them ..

What do you think??

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
iOS will do it automatic to free up resources.

I only clear the tray when I need to restart my device which is very very seldom

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The misnomer is that is uses more battery by keeping apps you have used during the day so called open.
First of all they go dormant in 10 mins and there is no harm but in both my phone and iPad I shut everything down at the end of the night but that is just me and I do turn off both devices at the end of the night.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Since I read clearing multitasking causes more battery drain, I only clear it when I'm gonna restart my device. I finally started enjoying the speed of my phone from the day I keep them open.

Last edited:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When ever I'm not using a app, I don't like my multitasking cards cluttered with apps I haven't used for a day...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I was always use to leaving apps open in webOS with only 256MBs of ram and I found it seemed to run smoother that way

Fully opening an app instead of waking it from a dormant state will drain resources. I have four large games open for over a week along with a half dozen apps and my battery life as well as system resources are in order

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I leave those apps I use often down in the multi task tray.
But I clear everything out before going to bed.
Good Luck

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Like once a month.. Maybe usually I don't do anything to maintain my iphone. I just use it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

nomoregames

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Does someone had problems with the battery usage?
For example: u didn't clear the multi tasking and some app made the usage much higher while running in background,but u was rarely using it..

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Does someone had problems with the battery usage?
For example: u didn't clear the multi tasking and some app made the usage much higher while running in background,but u was rarely using it..

Well in some instances like if your running maps or a jog app they are using resources and battery but not to the point where you should be really concerned

Davingtons

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I very rarely close an application down. I don't see the need to close apps down as iOS handles this for me so I've not notices any drain on resources etc.

The only time I would close one is if something has gone wrong with the app.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The multitasking was created for some purposes, abilities to switch between open apps, and of course ability to kill app. In the past I have done some experiments on my iPhone, at that time running ios 6 to monitor how the iPhone 4S was handling the ram memory with load of apps opened and I realized that the more apps were open in the background the more less free ram the iPhone was left with, while this is good for quick app relaunching, the device was struggling to handle some more heavy apps live iMovie or Keynote likes apps, the struggle was noticeable as the app would take time before giving go to user to interact with, of course iPhone 4S is 500Mb of ram but the apps are built in consideration to that. But when there was nothing in the multitask, iMovie would lunch quicker and work faster.
An app which struggle to free some ram in order to operate properly is likely to drain power. The app that was not in the multitasking and is just lunch will also drain some power, but the things is I don't very often heavy apps to want to have a lot of free ram for the app to run quicker rather than the app first freeing memory before loading completely, so I've decided to not mind about opened apps in the multitasking and have them ready for next use. Also I made sure to disable the background app refresh so they do not just eat up memory, but also keep the CPU busy by refreshing every so often causing my battery to drain more faster. Since then, I was set and things just work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
An Apple genius once told me there's no reason to clear the recently used apps list, he made it sound like it's almost detrimental to do so. I still do about once a week with a reboot. Maybe this is just a placebo effect, but it works for me. I just wish there was a button to kill all apps at once like on Android ...