Can't save videos sent in iMessage

maflo5

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I click on the icon in the lower left but all that comes up is to send it in Message or Mail or open in Dropbox or Evernote. No option to save to Camera Roll like I can for photos. Am I missing something? This started when I upgraded to iOS 7.1 on my iPhone 4.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
First welcome to iMore

Are you referring to .gifs or actual videos sent to you I don't have any videos to test in any of my iMessages but the moving pictures save just fine under save image

Try sending your self the video and then you can save it

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

maflo5

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replying! I mean actual videos. I'm trying to save a video that my wife sent me of our son. She took it on her iphone. And I can't figure out how to iMessage myself.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have videos sentto me taken with iPhone sent via iMessage and I have them saved as videos they are called under camera roll under photostream.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The save video option isn't there! Any ideas why not?
View attachment 102543

No, no ideas! But what have you tried to fix this so far? Try these steps:
1. Do a hard reset
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.
Don't work?
2. Reset All Settings
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.
Don't work?
3. You may need to restore your phone as new. Not from a back up.

In the mean time, you can email the video to yourself and save it from there.

blehhhh

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I click on the icon in the lower left but all that comes up is to send it in Message or Mail or open in Dropbox or Evernote. No option to save to Camera Roll like I can for photos. Am I missing something? This started when I upgraded to iOS 7.1 on my iPhone 4.

Hi there. Don't press the arrow. :) the arrow is a forward button for you to send the video to other people. Instead press and hold the video and a tab will come up that says "copy, save or more" press save. 👌🏻