iOS 7.1: WiFi 5Ghz Dropping

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I just updated my iPhone 5 and iPad Air to 7.1 and now when using 5ghz wifi it drops all the time! This is most prevalent when Facetiming.

Using an Asus RT-AC66U router. Rebooted it, rebooted both devices and reset network settings on the iPad.

Everything worked fine before 7.1 on both devices and I know it's not the router!

Anyone else notice connection dropping when connected to 5Ghz Wifi after the update?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My i-devices are connected to my Wi-Fi network via the 5 MHz frequency and after installing both to iOS 7.1 OTA, they still connect without a problem. Try changing the channel on the router. Heck, reboot all of the device a second or even a third time.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the airport extreme ac and my iPhone 5S and Apple TV (both updated via OTA) connect fine to my 5 ghz wireless N connection but I have a separate name for my 5 ghz network so I know if mine drops. I did have a huge issue with packet loss on my 5S using 5 ghz but I'm currently doing a clean install of iOS 7.1 so I'll see if that improves.

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Let me clarify; there's no issues connecting or even staying connected but something will happen momentarily to cause it to renew its DHCP lease with the router and interrupt anything going on for about 15 seconds. Very annoying when your on FaceTime. I never lose the wifi icon.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let me clarify; there's no issues connecting or even staying connected but something will happen momentarily to cause it to renew its DHCP lease with the router and interrupt anything going on for about 15 seconds. Very annoying when your on FaceTime. I never lose the wifi icon.

I have mine setup so IP addresses are assigned to each one of my device's MAC address. The only thing I can suggest is to increase the lease time to 24 hours.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After restoring my 5S hasn't had any problems with 5 ghz wireless N connectivity. I did isolate my packet loss to a problem with my ISP though.

I suggest assigning an IP address to your device's MAC address and set the lease to 24 hours and see if your issue comes back over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

GusHerb94

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So after rebooting bunches of times, and even doing a firmware update on my router I thought I had the bug squashed, but after awhile this evening it's back! Every time wifi on the iPad itself has locked up, then it would drop (lose the icon), then reconnect. I tried setting DHCP to static on the iPad and routers end and that has nothing to do with the issue.

Once again this never happened before 7.1!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So after rebooting bunches of times, and even doing a firmware update on my router I thought I had the bug squashed, but after awhile this evening it's back! Every time wifi on the iPad itself has locked up, then it would drop (lose the icon), then reconnect. I tried setting DHCP to static on the iPad and routers end and that has nothing to do with the issue.

Once again this never happened before 7.1!

Backup your device and then perform a clean install of iOS 7.1 and then set it up as a new device instead of from a backup to see if the problem gets fixed.

AKA

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my RT-N66U...drops signal with both of our ip5S's. The iPad 3 stays connected just fine which is odd...? I have the latest firmware installed and it has been rebooted as well. Nothing seemed to fix the bug.

I just switched over to the 2.4ghz signal and it is rock solid connection, hasnt dropped once and I am getting speeds of 32 Mb/s down with 5-6 Mb/s up with no range issues.

GusHerb94

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Backup your device and then perform a clean install of iOS 7.1 and then set it up as a new device instead of from a backup to see if the problem gets fixed.

If it starts doing it again tonight I will do just that. I restored it from backup last night we'll see if that makes any difference. Historically, for me, restoring as new has never fixed any bugs like this that I've had.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It might be your router. I was having problems last night trying to download IOS 7.1 and I kept getting an error that my WIFI connection had reset. I didn't check it on 2.4 GHz though. I was using my iMac and iTunes. I did some research today and the dropping of the 5.0GHz connection seems to a problem of some users of the RT-AC66U.

So far tonight I have had any dropped connections on my iPad Air which I updated to ios 7.2 tonight all though I was having problems with my iMac and slow download speed. I ended up going back to a hardware connection on my iMac and restarted the update process several times. It only took 30 minutes once I got a good connection.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

GusHerb94

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The issue isn't completely gone but it's far less frequent after restoring my devices (only lost connection once last night). If it kicks up again I'll just switch to 2.4 Ghz I guess.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2