Yahoo ending weather support?

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know anything about Apple and/or Yahoo ending support for hourly forecasts on iOS 6? While I understand and can accept this as a reality of using obsolete software, I wanted to check if this was potentially an isolated issue. As of 3 PM today, all of my iOS 6 devices no longer display hourly forecasts for any city through both the official app and Siri. On the 3.5" iPhones, the entire "hourly" function disappeared. This seems rather odd, although not unprecedented, since most integrated web services continue to work on older versions of iOS when new versions are released. So far, other weather information is unaffected.

Update: All weather functions in Siri no longer work.

Update 4.15: It's all working again. What a strange outage.

Attachments

• photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    708.1 KB · Views: 16
  • photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    442.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
With all due respect, I can't tell if you're serious. Yahoo's app dev. team's use of the default Xcode presets is not particularly indicative of precise lower-level backend support for services such as weather. Of note, the non-hourly data continues to work fine in the weather app on iOS 6, 4, and 3 (probably all versions), just not in Siri. I don't have any iOS devices on versions outside of those for any further testing.

b_park

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Created an account to reply to this...
I went to check my weather tonight via Siri (iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4) and was shocked by the error she kicked back, it worked fine this morning. I thought I was experiencing some strange bug until I checked on my 4S and 3GS (both running iOS 6) with the same issue.
I was able to confirm on my iPhone 1st gen on 3.1.3 the daily forecast still works.

It makes me rather sad this OS is losing so much support however... I had a 6+ which I returned because I couldn't stand the new OS (horrible design and tons of bugs).

This doesn't solve the Siri issue, and it has a poor design, but thankfully the Yahoo Weather app can still be installed on iOS 6 and still functions if you select to download the "last compatible version."

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Sounds exactly like a post I would write haha.

I can accept failing web services in order to keep iOS 6, but as you said, that doesn't really take away the sting as more dominoes fall. I might file some bug reports with Apple just for the fun of it.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect, I can't tell if you're serious. Yahoo's app dev. team's use of the default Xcode presets is not particularly indicative of precise lower-level backend support for services such as weather. Of note, the non-hourly data continues to work fine in the weather app on iOS 6, 4, and 3 (probably all versions), just not in Siri. I don't have any iOS devices on versions outside of those for any further testing.

Most of us here don't know didly squat about Xcode presets. Your opening post said nothing about Siri as your only issue. Your opening title asked, "Yahoo Ending Weather Support?". You seemed confused about it. So a very fine gentleman, just me D, showed you the image that clearly shows the Yahoo weather not supporting iOS 6. Have a nice day, sir!

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I see, thank you for the clarification. Apologies for the confusion, I should have specified that I was only referring to the first-party, native Weather.app and Siri, which are fed backend information from Yahoo.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As I never use the stock app, I was curious. So I went to it and opened it up. I'm using a 6s with iOS 9.3.1. It appears as if the information on this app is coming from the Weather Channel.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As I never use the stock app, I was curious. So I went to it and opened it up. I'm using a 6s with iOS 9.3.1. It appears as if the information on this app is coming from the Weather Channel.

It does. Yahoo used to do it. But Yahoo gets theirs from the Weather Channel too.

LasPecas

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
it doesn`t work on ios 7 either so the pic with the app store info is totally wrong! Yahoo changed weather API and kicked us all out. Please complain at Yahoo and Apple

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Strangely enough, data from the first-party Weather.app and through Siri both began functioning again sometime yesterday evening. Who knows for how long or why it was down in the first place, but that's nice.