Keeping Notifications in Check

DMBAdict04

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
All,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup the Notifications settings on my iPhone. I've had the iPhone 5 since its release and I've dealt with the overwhelming amount of notifications.

Lately, I find them to be distracting. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on the best settings for each app. I know this boils down to personal preference but I figured some of you might have some tips.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My approach is pretty simple. If it’s something that I need to deal with immediately, it get's an alert. If it’s something that I need to know about, it gets a banner. If it’s something that I don’t need to be bothered with, it gets nothing. Things like text messages, phone calls and calendar items get alerts complete with sound alerts. Twitter DMs, email messages, ESPN Score Center are examples of things that get banners with NO sound alert. Everything else (including games) get no alerts or sounds at all.

Most things get NO alert tone. The exceptions are text messages, phone calls and calendar items.

Almost everything on the ALERT or BANNER list get SHOW ON NOTIFICATION CENTER and SHOW ON LOCKSCREEN settings. And almost all communication apps (phone calls, VM, text messages, emails, etc) get icon badging. Facebook comes and goes for badging as I feel the need...

As you say, it’s mostly a personal preference... but that’s how I roll...

DMBAdict04

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, that's actually a huge help! Just looking at my list of apps in Notifications settings is overwhelming but once I sort through it, I'm sure I'll be much happier.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My approach is pretty simple. If it’s something that I need to deal with immediately, it get's an alert. If it’s something that I need to know about, it gets a banner. If it’s something that I don’t need to be bothered with, it gets nothing. Things like text messages, phone calls and calendar items get alerts complete with sound alerts. Twitter DMs, email messages, ESPN Score Center are examples of things that get banners with NO sound alert. Everything else (including games) get no alerts or sounds at all.

Most things get NO alert tone. The exceptions are text messages, phone calls and calendar items.

Almost everything on the ALERT or BANNER list get SHOW ON NOTIFICATION CENTER and SHOW ON LOCKSCREEN settings. And almost all communication apps (phone calls, VM, text messages, emails, etc) get icon badging. Facebook comes and goes for badging as I feel the need...

This is spot-on, my friend, and is exactly how I do it. As for ESPN, I will be altering the notifications a bit like I do when college football season is in session. I usually set scoring drive alerts for The U if I'm unable to watch them play. Thankfully, it's customizable.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

Good post Fausty,

Good Luck

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Fausty and D. I have 3 levels of priority for notifications. I just cranked up notifications on theScore, now that football season is here.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711