Staying on 6.1 After Factory Reset and Activation

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to sell my mom's iPhone 4S and it is still on 6.1, which can be jail broken and some people like having that option so I want it to stay on 6.1. However, I need to factory reset it and activate it again and I want to make sure I keep it on 6.1 through the activation.

Last time I did this if I remember correctly, I did the factory reset, then I started the activation. I chose set up as a new phone. When it came to turning on WiFi, I had unplugged my router so there was no wifi network to connect to when it got to the point in the activation to connect to a network. I chose activate over cellular data. I completed the activation process and I was still on 6.1.

Once I turn on the WiFi, will the phone automatically download 6.1.3?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You may get a notification of an update, but it 'should not' auto-download it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I had not done it as set up a new phone and rather restored from iTunes or iCloud backup, then would it have automatically done it?
If you had connected the device to iTunes and then selected to restore, iTunes would have downloaded and installed a fresh copy of iOS 6.1.3 onto your device. I'm not certain what would have happened if you had opted to restore via iCloud. I'd like to think it would have merely restored your last iCloud backup, but I'm not certain of that.

shaolinfinest

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If you had connected the device to iTunes and then selected to restore, iTunes would have downloaded and installed a fresh copy of iOS 6.1.3 onto your device. I'm not certain what would have happened if you had opted to restore via iCloud. I'd like to think it would have merely restored your last iCloud backup, but I'm not certain of that.

I was going to respond with this right here, If you restore on phone it will not update it but if you click restore on iTunes it forces the auto update.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was going to respond with this right here, If you restore on phone it will not update it but if you click restore on iTunes it forces the auto update.

Update: After re-reading information via the Apple website HERE, it is my understanding that an update may download to your device if connected to Wi-Fi, however, the user still has to initiate the installation of the update.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Update: After re-reading information via the Apple website HERE, it is my understanding that an update may download to your device if connected to Wi-Fi, however, the user still has to initiate the installation of the update.

This was my experience. If the phone was on WiFi, the update automatically downloaded but I had to click to allow it to install.

shaolinfinest

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If you restore on phone means restoring from iCloud, yes?

Well if you go to settings > general > scroll towards the bottom and select rest. Erase the whole phone and it will still be on the iOS you want it to be. If you go through the setup and select restore from iCloud, it will still be on the iOS you prefer.