Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    RevJar's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.
  2. #2  
    bahandi's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    If you haven't rebooted by now, do so. iPhones need battery pulls too to set things right sometimes.
  3. #3  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,956 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by RevJar View Post
    So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.
    Restore as new via iTunes.
  4. #4  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    12,920 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Restore as new via iTunes.
    Now for some reason I have got great battery life. Oh! wait a minute I did not update because the 2 bug fixes as I posted in the Sticky does not phase me. No need for me to update until there is a real reason to and my battery life on 6.1.2 is just fine.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace


  5. #5  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,956 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    Now for some reason I have got great battery life. Oh! wait a minute I did not update because the 2 bug fixes as I posted in the Sticky does not phase me. No need for me to update until there is a real reason to and my battery life on 6.1.2 is just fine.
    If there's an update to the operating system, I'm updating, but I'm one of the people who haven't had any issues with battery life.
    Karenkcoulter likes this.
  6. #6  
    plantemichel's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    73 Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Same for me I'm on my iPhone 4S running 6.1.3 so far so good 😜
  7. #7  
    hydrogen3's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    789 Posts
    Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by bahandi View Post
    If you haven't rebooted by now, do so. iPhones need battery pulls too to set things right sometimes.
    Battery pulls?
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
    carrickfergus likes this.
  8. #8  
    bahandi's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen3 View Post
    Battery pulls?
    Yup. That's essentially what the battery pull on a BlackBerry was, a reboot. I realized that when I had to reboot my iPhone for the first of many times.
  9. #9  
    Tanbam's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by RevJar View Post
    So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.
    Anyone who does the OTA update is asking for trouble. Nothing is better for an OS than partial, diff updates, especially when the OS is set up like this one with lots of randomization.

    If you want to upgrade your phone, do it the right way and use iTunes to perform a complete update. Even better if you set it up as new and don't restore any of your old OS's leftovers.

    Of course, if keeping a history of all of your text messages is worth more than having a battery that lasts more than a couple of hours, then just keep doing what you're doing...
  10. #10  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    I was holding out on 6.1.1 because I had amazing battery life, better than any phone I had before. I finally made the update, and my battery has gone to crap. Been up and using for 2 hours, I'm at 82%. In the same situation before the upgrade, I'd be no less than 90%.


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
  11. #11  
    hydrogen3's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    789 Posts
    Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanbam View Post
    Anyone who does the OTA update is asking for trouble. Nothing is better for an OS than partial, diff updates, especially when the OS is set up like this one with lots of randomization.

    If you want to upgrade your phone, do it the right way and use iTunes to perform a complete update. Even better if you set it up as new and don't restore any of your old OS's leftovers.

    Of course, if keeping a history of all of your text messages is worth more than having a battery that lasts more than a couple of hours, then just keep doing what you're doing...
    Why is a OTA update asking for trouble?
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
  12. #12  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen3 View Post
    Why is a OTA update asking for trouble?
    Realistically, it's not. There are some here who believe any update should be a full and clean install. That's simply their opinion. OTA updates are safe, easy, and rarely cause issues.


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    Thanked by:
    hydrogen3 (03-21-2013)
    Karenkcoulter and bahandi like this.
  13. #13  
    pr1nce's Avatar


    Posts
    11,336 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,952 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.2

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    I'll be updating to iOS 6.1.3 later today. I always update OTA and have never had a problem. Battery life is good too.
  14. #14  
    hydrogen3's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    789 Posts
    Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Thanks my friends. I thought so just wanted to make sure.
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
  15. #15  
    john_v's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,254 Global Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    This might sound really dumb, but did anyone having faster battery drain think to check the screen brightness setting? I just updated this afternoon, and noticed that it set my screen brightness to max and turned the auto sensor off. I know for a fact I had it set to half brightness with the auto sensor on.
    ----------------------------------------
    This space available for rent
    ----------------------------------------
  16. #16  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    4,083 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,601 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    No battery issues here. Same as before update.

    iPhone via iTunes

    iPad via OTA
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


  17. #17  

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Battery has been good here, since update.
    Taz323
    Moderator


    Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
  18. #18  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    This might sound really dumb, but did anyone having faster battery drain think to check the screen brightness setting? I just updated this afternoon, and noticed that it set my screen brightness to max and turned the auto sensor off. I know for a fact I had it set to half brightness with the auto sensor on.
    Nope. That's not it. Brightness is just as low as always. I really don't know what the issue is.


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
  19. #19  
    projectman's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    This might sound really dumb, but did anyone having faster battery drain think to check the screen brightness setting? I just updated this afternoon, and noticed that it set my screen brightness to max and turned the auto sensor off. I know for a fact I had it set to half brightness with the auto sensor on.
    I experienced the same thing. But for me, the first impression was unbelievable long-lasting battery life as I went for about 2 hrs with it at 100%. Kinda figured there was a problem on that one. But later it began to go down and then it went down really fast. I then took a look at my brightness settings and found them to be nearly pegged out. I have seen that happen on other updates as well. After resetting the brightness I think it is safe to say I am experiencing improved battery life. But that could be my imagination. Time will tell...or something like that.
  20. #20  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    640 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    It's only been a few days yet so I don't want to say anything definitive about battery life, it takes at least a few days to a week for battery life to settle and it will suffer after updating the OS, but I am noticing lesser battery life as of now. I'll post a more accurate and true comment on it next week after the OS has really settled.


    Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!
    BLiNK likes this.
  21. #21  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    My phone was at 20% today by 1PM. It hasn't gotten that low any earlier than 6 or 7 PM before I updated. I'm hoping it'll come back up...


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
  22. #22  
    john_v's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,254 Global Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    I did the upgrade early this afternoon and it was dropping really fast. After I figured out that the brightness was cranked and set it back, battery seems to be back to normal.
    ----------------------------------------
    This space available for rent
    ----------------------------------------
  23. #23  
    Tanbam's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by jclisenby View Post
    Realistically, it's not. There are some here who believe any update should be a full and clean install. That's simply their opinion. OTA updates are safe, easy, and rarely cause issues.


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    Why would you assume that simply updating only files that change as being as good of a way to update an operating system? There is much more likelihood to run into random troubles that way then by installing the entire OS.

    Your last statement could also read, "OTA updates are safe, easy, but sometimes cause issues" and still be correct.

    My phone is important to me, so if I'm going to do something major like an OS upgrade, I'm going to do it the "right" way.

    How many time so you see an App Store app update have a disclaimer about some users reporting crashes or other unwanted behavior after updating an app that are fixed by deleting the app and reinstalling? Is the full iOS immune to these kinds of issues?
    BLiNK likes this.
  24. #24  
    Timhewitt's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanbam View Post
    Why would you assume that simply updating only files that change as being as good of a way to update an operating system? There is much more likelihood to run into random troubles that way then by installing the entire OS.
    There is no truth to this claim, just idle speculation.
    jclisenby likes this.
  25. #25  
    Chri5123's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts

    Default Re: 6.1.3 crippling my battery

    Quote Originally Posted by RevJar View Post
    So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.
    Try recharging right up to 100% and seeing if it happens again. My battery since the upgrade is fine - I think although your post made me a bit paranoid I will keep an eye on it. I am on the iPad 2.

    Step By Step Video Tutorials For The iPad >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Battery is not holding up anyone have suggestions?
    By DrJB in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 07:47 AM
  2. Just Jailbreaking is Draining My Battery?
    By brooktay000 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 01:33 PM
  4. Question on my Battery!
    By EnterpriseGlobe in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 05:15 AM
  5. Eating my battery alive!!!
    By patcom8 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions