difference between upgrade and restore

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I want to fresh install my OS. If lets say there is new OS and when I check for upgrade, it asks for upgrade. What would be the difference between upgrade and restore?

I understand that for restore, the phone is restored to the newest OS. What I am trying to achieve is to do 'fresh install', meaning clean all previous settings and then install from 0 (like reformat the HD and install new OS).

Should I do restore or upgrade?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to fresh install my OS. If lets say there is new OS and when I check for upgrade, it asks for upgrade. What would be the difference between upgrade and restore?

I understand that for restore, the phone is restored to the newest OS. What I am trying to achieve is to do 'fresh install', meaning clean all previous settings and then install from 0 (like reformat the HD and install new OS).

Should I do restore or upgrade?

Thanks.

Upgrade = installing a newer version

Restore = returning to its native state.

Now in regard to restoring your device for the purpose of upgrading, it means you are opting to remove any and all references to what is currently on the device for the sole purpose of upgrading the operating system to the latest version.

Last edited:

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
"Restore" could also mean installing apps, programs, files, etc that you backed up. then you "restore" them onto your phone after you do an upgrade.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
for a complete Restore (starting fresh) do not restore from a backup

Restore as New Phone when given the option towards the end of a restore via iTunes

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
yeah, this is usually what I do. Instead of upgrade, first I manually backup via iTunes, then restore, then when it's done upgrading, I go through the setup on my phone and at the end of the setup, it says restore as new, restore via icloud, or restore via iTunes. I select restore via iTunes.

I always want phones to be as fresh as possible, no garbage from previous version as usually garbage slows down the phone.

for a complete Restore (starting fresh) do not restore from a backup

Restore as New Phone when given the option towards the end of a restore via iTunes

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods