Did You Know...? (iOS Tips & Tricks)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
...that holding down the Forward or Back button in Safari brings up a History page of recently visited sites?
...that you can slide up the Incoming Call screen to reply with a preset text message?
...that you can upload photos from the Camera Roll directly to websites that accept image uploads?

What are some of your favorite iOS 6 tips?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Tapping the clock to auto scroll to top of page ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
...that swiping left on a banner notification will dismiss it, so you don't have to wait if you're trying to use the status bar area?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
...you can ask Siri if you have any messages, and she will read them to you?
...you can hold and drag email addresses in the Mail app to move them between fields?
...that you can now use songs as your alarms?

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just found this one out today.. On the lock screen you can swipe right on a notification to open it. (I always unlocked the screen then went to the notification)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Just found this one out today.. On the lock screen you can swipe right on a notification to open it. (I always unlocked the screen then went to the notification)

I remember the first time I found that out!!! It was a good day!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That you can set volume for Turn-by-Turn navigation separately from your regular volume settings?

image.jpg

That you can set iMessage to only show messages from your Contacts, so you can avoid spam messages?

image.jpg

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
A good one for new users:

To quickly enter numbers and punctuation:
Tap 123 but don't let go.
When the number keyboard comes up, slide to the number you want.
Lift your finger off the screen. The number will be entered and you'll automatically return to the letter keyboard.

Another timesaver: in Settings/General/Keyboard, if you have the "." Shortcut set to ON, you can automatically enter a period followed by a space by simply tapping the spacebar twice.

On that same screen, you can set up Keyboard Shortcuts for frequently used text: have iOS enter your email address, a short message, or more just by typing a few letters!

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm shocked to know how many people have no idea that the keyboard shortcut functionality exists. Under General->Keyboard->Shortcuts

You can define word expansion shortcuts; for instance make a shortcut so when you type "pls" it will expand it to "please"... or "bc" expand to "because".

Besides that, you don't have to make a shortcut, you can just define custom dictionary words, say that it keeps correcting some word to "duck"... you can define the correct word, and it won't keep saying it's wrong... or maybe you always refer to your friend, typing "brian" and it keeps changing it to "brain". Just add an entry, and I'd put "brian" as the shortcut, then have it correct to "Brian"-- that fixes the auto-correct irritation, and makes sure it capitalizes his name, even if you don't type it that way. So in that, you can also use it to fix capitalization... for instance, normally (for me) "google" won't auto-capitalize. Not a big deal, but I can set the shortcut to be "google" and anytime I type "google" it will autocorrect to "Google".

Yet another smart use for this is if you regularly make a certain typo... make that typo a shortcut, then the expansion the correct one. Example? I have a shortcut to expand "ppl" to "people". For some reason I always freakin' type "opl". So I set up a shortcut to make "opl" also expand to "people". Problem solved! Now I can screw up all I want!

Finally use the expansion feature to its full capacity! I suggest "eml" to expand to your primary email... "addr1" to your home address, I have several domains for email, so I set up shortcuts for like @gm will become @gmail.com -- blah blah...

Another standard I use is I set up text shortcuts to become symbols that aren't in the keyboard, like arrows, symbols, etc. To make sure I don't accidentally make these appear, I use the naming convention where I start all symbols with an "s" in the shortcut. So for the TM (trademark symbol) I set the shortcut to "stm" and the copyright to "scopy"... I also have it when I type a double dash -- to change that to an m-dash (the character that appears when you hold down the normal dash key) and I have it set to change when I type "..." to replace it with the single ellipsis (hold down the period button). Seems useless until you start using Twitter, for instance... and an ellipsis goes from 3 characters to 1, and a long dash goes from 2 characters to 1. Then you start seeing the utility of these "smart" types of shortcuts.

Use your imagination and try to minimize what you've gotta type in your emails and texts! I type so much a day my fingers get freakin' sore... so I use these shortcuts and have this feature do the work for me... here's a list of several of them to get you started thinking:

"bc, nvm, ppl, w/e, w/, dl, ul, tmrw, srsly, smth, hh (haha), pls, ty, gn, prly, wu?, wyd?, bf, gf, esp" --- you figure out the rest, haha...

If anyone thinks of some more innovative ways to use this feature, please share... it's insanely useful for so many things.

... and it looks like Massie beat me to that tip, but I just expanded... on it.... (didn't intend that pun, LOL)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234