Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rayz336
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

I got an iPhone 5 yesterday after being with android previously. Before that I had an iPhone 4S.

iMessage is activated on my phone and somebody I used to talk to through iMessage previously had an iPhone and no longer does. When I text this person it still sends texts as iMessages and to send them as a text I have to manually hold down on the message and send as text. If I don't do that eventually it will automatically send as a text, but takes a while.

Does anybody know how I can correct this with this person so every time it automatically sends messages as texts and not iMessages.

Thanks.
    "The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do." -Steve Jobs
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iMessage

Go to your contacts and make their number a "mobile" number instead of an "iPhone" number then possibly delete the messages all together and start over to clear it.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

Everybody in my phone is labeled as 'mobile' not 'iPhone' and yet it still sends as iMessage. Somehow it knows people who do have iPhones and are listed as 'mobile' it still sends iMessage
    "The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do." -Steve Jobs

Global Posts
    2,538 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iMessage

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    Everybody in my phone is labeled as 'mobile' not 'iPhone' and yet it still sends as iMessage. Somehow it knows people who do have iPhones and are listed as 'mobile' it still sends iMessage
    Have you tried deleting and re-adding that contact to your phone? That may force your iPhone to check the server and realize it's no longer a number used by an iPhone.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've had that issue - I've found that restoring as a new phone, rather than from a backup, helps. I concede, though, it would be a pain in the **** to restore as new every time.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

This is a brand new iPhone I just setup. I deleted the contact and readded them, deleted all the messages and started a new thread. Nothing worked, still sends them as an iMessage

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iMessage

Did your friend deactivate their phone number from iMessage? Usually the issue.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,042 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I have many friends that I send imessages to that have iPhones that on their end don't have me or others on iPhone labled as iPhone but still goes through and then on the other side it does not matter what the label of the phone is on either end especially if both have iPhones and on at least IOS 5.0 or higher, it will send as imessage unless you have marked "If won't go through as iMessage then it will send as SMS.

I cannot understand if your phone cannot know that your friend does not have an iPhone which it checks and turns blue for iMessage how it can go through as an iMessage.

You need to check all your settings for SMS and iMessage and even try a simple reboot after checking your settings. Lastly you could always restore your phone as a last resort.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,042 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    Have you tried deleting and re-adding that contact to your phone? That may force your iPhone to check the server and realize it's no longer a number used by an iPhone.
    Good advice, You may also do this.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    Good advice, You may also do this.
    I posted in my most recent post I tried this
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    Did your friend deactivate their phone number from iMessage? Usually the issue.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    How do you deactivate a number from iMessage
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default iMessage

My brother had an iPhone and went to galaxy s3. Once on it, it showed the iMessage with him. I deleted him from my contacts and added him back. Worked fine.
    Devices | iPhone 5 16 GIG Black & Slate | iPad 2 16 GIG White | Macbook Pro 13-inch
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

Quote Originally Posted by mikesa_tx View Post
    My brother had an iPhone and went to galaxy s3. Once on it, it showed the iMessage with him. I deleted him from my contacts and added him back. Worked fine.
    I tried that and for some reason it won't work with mine
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    How do you deactivate a number from iMessage
    I agree it sounds like the person's number is still registered in iMessage. Did the person sell the iPhone if so then you may have to call either Apple or the carrier. If they still have the phone pop the SIM back in and under Settings->iMessage log out.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    I agree it sounds like the person's number is still registered in iMessage. Did the person sell the iPhone if so then you may have to call either Apple or the carrier. If they still have the phone pop the SIM back in and under Settings->iMessage log out.
    It makes sense that they would not have logged out, this person is not a tech person at all. So they chances they even know what that means is slim.

I just realized they had an iPad, could that have anything to do with this? Their iPad is not a data one strictly wifi so as far as I know it wouldn't be linked to their phone number.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was just going to ask if they used iMessage on any other devices—when setting them up you can choose to identify them by your phone number as well as your Apple ID. So it may very well be the iPad, or a MacBook if they're using one on Mountain Lion.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default iMessage

So the iMessages are going to their iPad. Is there any way on my end to make it always send as a text? They are entered as mobile not iPhone in my contacts.

'A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.'
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm not sure but I think it would be up to them to remove their phone number from the iPad iMessage settings. Of course, they may not want to do that.

One thing I'm not clear on is how long an iMessage phone number stays active in iMessage once it's not tied to an iPhone. Seems like it would stop after a while. If you want to try one more thing, do this: open your Contacts and find your friend's info. Choose Send Message and then pick their phone number, then send the message. Maybe starting a new conversation that way will force a check on the number/device. Just a guess.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,669 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm also having iMessage issues, my conversations don't sync between devices even after matching all "caller ID". So until I can figure this out, I turned off iMessage.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,396 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My issues are only on my MacBook Air.
    They don't sync accurately to my iPhone/iPad.
    And many times my latest post from my iPhone/iPad will be inserted before the last post on my MBA in the same conversation.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover