Do you have Data Roaming ON or OFF? (US folks mostly)

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and mine's almost always on in the US. AT&T is by far, the best national carrier up here (though Verizon is coming next year, finally). Alaska's the only state without Verizon coverage.

When I've traveled overseas, I've turned it off, to avoid incurring data roaming charges. I will usually call AT&T and discuss each country I'm going to, so I'm fully aware of the risks and the costs. If I'm traveling outside the US, though, just to be safe, I'll purchase the lowest int'l data roaming package (I think it's 50MB for $25), just in case. I'll also disable mail push and fetch, so if I happen to turn on roaming briefly, it won't try to download mail in the background. Having the 50MB lets me download visual voicemails, though. I also live in Alaska and when I'm close to the Canadian border, I'm sure to turn it off.

My girlfirend has a 4S on Sprint, and coverage here is really weird in Alaska. She leaves it on, as Sprint doesn't have true coverage here, and she's roaming on Alaska Communications (ACS), usually, but when we travel outside the big cities, she'll usually get her data turned off by Sprint due to using too much roaming data. To say we're rural out here is an understatement.

Last edited:

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine's set to off, but I don't think it matters much either way. I get good Verizon service around here and I'm not near any international borders.

wwlad

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Here in Sydney Australia, if cellular is off the only data coverage is wifi hotspots (home and freebie).
Usually depends on our plan as to having cellular on or off (I think we have a lot more choice of carriers and plans here).

Mark Obernesser

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a multiple user environment with Vz. All of my devices are iOS 7 and I never have data roaming on. With that said I had one user that recently just stopped connecting to any data service through the cellular service. I could not get it to work until roaming with data was turned on, where I have had to do this before ever.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro