Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Default Icloud backup and Hotspots

I'm hoping someone can shine some light on this for me. I'm considering canceling my 3G service for my ipad2 and switching over to tethering using my lumia 920. The ipad is set to backup when it's connected to a wifi network and plugged in. What's keeping it from using my lumia's network to backup if I were to charge my ipad away from my home wifi connection? I can just see me blowing through data if this were to happen. I've seen options on other tablets to only backup on certain networks but that doesn't seem to be the case with apple devices. Any help would be appreciated!

Global Posts
    19,255 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Icloud backup and Hotspots

Nothing, in my opinion. Do me a favor and turn on airplane mode on your iPad 2 and then enable Wi-Fi. Now see if it will connect to your Lumia's hotspot. It should.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Re: Icloud backup and Hotspots

Due to the way iCloud backup works I don't think it would be able to differentiate between the connections you're using. However unless you start a manual iCloud backup it only runs when your device is locked. So wouldn't your iPad only be tethered while you're using it? The next thing to do in that case is whenever it's tethered set the automatic lock time to Never and then never lock the iPad.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)