Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Removing emails from iPhone and iPad

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 4th generation. Now, I just went on my iPhone and removed several emails,
    A few minutes later, I went into the mail app on the iPad and those same emails were there.
    The email account is a pop 3. I know that a Yahoo mail account would remove them right away...and they would not be visible on the iPad.
    Because the mail account is a pop 3 that's why I have to delete the same emails from both devices?

Global Posts
    6,931 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Probably.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Removing emails from iPhone and iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Stamper View Post
    I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 4th generation. Now, I just went on my iPhone and removed several emails,
    A few minutes later, I went into the mail app on the iPad and those same emails were there.
    The email account is a pop 3. I know that a Yahoo mail account would remove them right away...and they would not be visible on the iPad.
    Because the mail account is a pop 3 that's why I have to delete the same emails from both devices?
    Yes.

POP email accounts download copies of emails to each device. Once it’s removed from the server, it’s gone... but if it’s still on the server, when you check mail, you get everything that you have not previously received on that device. Deleting the message(s) from your iPad won’t remove them from the iPhone, and vice versa.

IMAP mail provides you with a view of the server mail... so whatever you do on any device, the effect is seen on all other devices that access that mail account. So deleting it on the iPad will cause it to be removed from the view on the iPhone (and vice versa).

Hotmail does use IMAP... other mail services offer different choices and what happens depends on which choice you implement.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Thanks for confirming.