Did you guys hear Kevin of Crackberry say that nobody at Apple uses 2 hands to type?

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Honestly that podcast was hard to listen to today and participate in chat room. Seemed like a constant bashing of apple and the people who joined the chat room were very bitter and nasty. Hope they don't become regulars.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly that podcast was hard to listen to today and participate in chat room. Seemed like a constant bashing of apple and the people who joined the chat room were very bitter and nasty. Hope they don't become regulars.

I forgot all about it last night because I was watching football. I'll listen to it later today and post feedback on it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm listening to the podcast at this very minute and I don't think it's a bash Apple conversation per se. Kevin is being Kevin. He is *being truthful based on his experience* and even Ren? is being objective in the conversation. Could he use better descriptions instead of calling the iPhone "boring", for example? Sure, but if that is how he feels about it, so be it. Many current iPhone users have migrated from other platforms, including myself and when I initially left Blackberry and bought an iPhone 3G, I was frustrated at times because I was so used to maneuvering around in Blackberry. Still, I liked the device, but I liked the Blackberry more. Now, however, I use the iOS platform effectively and I'm accustomed to it UI. Anyway, back to the podcast, I'm okay with what's being discussed as well as Kevin's take on iOS and the iPhone, but that's Just Me, D...:)

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Kevin is being Kevin.

Yup. Pretentious & condescending towards anything that's not RIM.... :)

Asking Kevin to objectively evaluate any tech that's not RIM is kind of like asking a BurgerKing franchisee to talk about the virtues of McDonalds because both are fast food burger places... an utter waste of time.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Asking Kevin to objectively evaluate any tech that's not RIM is kind of like asking a BurgerKing franchisee to talk about the virtues of McDonalds because both are fast food burger places... an utter waste of time.

How is pointing out flaws in the iPhone being pretentious? He probably has more apple products than some writers of iMore so his views are directly based on his usage. Not like he's just hating on the products blindly he actually pointed out problems with the iPhone and iOS.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Random, but I remember when I was at school the manager of the local McDonald's came in to talk in our business studies class and told us he honestly preferred Burger King.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I definitely enjoyed Kevin's take on the iPhone, he's one of my favorite tech writers and owns pretty much every device so I can respect his opinion.

I didn't think Apple took one-handed use that seriously either but I wish the screen was a bit wider because it would make things more comfortable.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't listened to the podcast yet but as Apple lovers the hazing will seem worste to you, us. It might only be a product but as humans we really become attached to things and for anyone saying negative things whether truthful or not it makes us defensive. In the end people are people and choice will always exist. I'm sure on a Blackberry podcast there are Apple people bashing all the backwards things of Blackberrys and on Crackberry forums they are probably having a conversation like the one we're having right now. It's the circle of devices everyone has to be willing to admit there is no perfect platform they all have problems and things that could be better that is why new features and updates exist. Does it bother me that someone with a Blackberry thinks my iPhone is boring, locked down, no secure? Not really it does what I want it to do and when they are willing to buy me a Blackberry device then we'll talk.
As for guests on the show it is what it is I mean when Dalrymple is on it turns into a why Apple is better than Windows episode. I use both and it kinda makes me a little peeved for a second then I realize the audience that they are talking to are all people who probably feel the same and had the same experiences. Then I just enjoy the podcast.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but as Apple lovers the hazing will seem worste to you, us. It might only be a product but as humans we really become attached to things and for anyone saying negative things whether truthful or not it makes us defensive. In the end people are people and choice will always exist. I'm sure on a Blackberry podcast there are Apple people bashing all the backwards things of Blackberrys and on Crackberry forums they are probably having a conversation like the one we're having right now. It's the circle of devices everyone has to be willing to admit there is no perfect platform they all have problems and things that could be better that is why new features and updates exist. Does it bother me that someone with a Blackberry thinks my iPhone is boring, locked down, no secure? Not really it does what I want it to do and when they are willing to buy me a Blackberry device then we'll talk.
As for guests on the show it is what it is I mean when Dalrymple is on it turns into a why Apple is better than Windows episode. I use both and it kinda makes me a little peeved for a second then I realize the audience that they are talking to are all people who probably feel the same and had the same experiences. Then I just enjoy the podcast.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I definitely enjoyed Kevin's take on the iPhone, he's one of my favorite tech writers and owns pretty much every device so I can respect his opinion.

I didn't think Apple took one-handed use that seriously either but I wish the screen was a bit wider because it would make things more comfortable.

The things he complained about, in my opinion, were legitimate and some of those complaints have been expressed here in this forum. Being that iMore is primarily a place for iPhone enthusiasts, I can see how his comments might be construed as bashing. Still, he was asked to share his thoughts and he did so without a great deal of restraint. Period. I didn't think he was trying to be disrespectful or anything like that.

Last edited:

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't listed to the podcast and, based on the comments in this thread so far, will probably just avoid it. I think a lot of people become attached to their device and become accustomed to a way to use it. People generally take it poorly when someone challenges them with "your device is terrible, here's a list why, and so on". I've used Windows phones, Blackberry and iPhone. I like them all for what they do and how they do it. Each has strengths and weaknesses. People bashing other people for the phone they choose to carry is like bashing people for liking a particular type of food. It all comes down to taste and the device that gives the user the best experience based upon what they need, want and expect from it.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't listed to the podcast and, based on the comments in this thread so far, will probably just avoid it. I think a lot of people become attached to their device and become accustomed to a way to use it. People generally take it poorly when someone challenges them with "your device is terrible, here's a list why, and so on". I've used Windows phones, Blackberry and iPhone. I like them all for what they do and how they do it. Each has strengths and weaknesses. People bashing other people for the phone they choose to carry is like bashing people for liking a particular type of food. It all comes down to taste and the device that gives the user the best experience based upon what they need, want and expect from it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Don't avoid listening to it. It's not as bad it may sound. I found the conversation quite interesting and informative and as for Kevin, he was just blunt. That's all.

Last edited:

CrackBerry Kevin

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
Good conversation here folks! Definitely a podcast worth listening to if I do say so myself. :)

@kch50428 How'd you know I love Burger King? Lol. I disagree with the comment about about objectiveness/etc. In reality, what I've discovered is that us Mobile Nations guys are the least biased out there, because we state our obvious bias up front. I'm very much a "platform champion" for BlackBerry, as Rene is for Apple and Phil for Android and Dan for Windows Phone. We definitely want to see our platforms succeed, and we know their strengths/weaknesses inside and out. So yes, when talking about our "home" platforms, we can justify anything and everything when we want to and if we need to. But our position on that is clear. However, when it comes to discussing other platforms, we're the best out there as we don't hold back once we're talking. Most tech sites out there who are covering all platforms tend to be a little reserved, as they don't want to tick anybody off. But I am definitely very "blunt" when it comes to what I think is good and bad about other platforms, manufacturers, etc.. It's very easy to call it as I see it. And as pointed out, I own a ridiculous amount of Apple gear. I own enough, use it enough that I definitely feel like I can get away my rants there. But really, I wasn't ranting... think everything I pointed out was fair, also as noted above.

@Gaius Yeah, I was shocked when I learned that too, but it makes sense. A company like BlackBerry is a two thumb typing culture. Apple, one thumb. Kinda crazy, but it makes sense and explains a lot. There's a reason they didn't want to make that iPhone 5 any wider... and that was a large part of it. As soon as you go wider, it makes it hard to type with one thumb.

Big thanks to Rene for having me on the show. Rene is a great debater, and on this show he let me vent a lot. We'll get into some great mobile debates in future cross platform discussions and podcasts.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I really enjoyed that podcast. I'm waiting to give BlackBerry 10 a try when it comes out. I love my iPhone, but like the communication experience BB10 is offering. Worth a try anyways. I know I can always come back to iPhone.

- - - Updated - - -

I really enjoyed that podcast. I'm waiting to give BlackBerry 10 a try when it comes out. I love my iPhone, but like the communication experience BB10 is offering. Worth a try anyways. I know I can always come back to iPhone.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It's very easy to get your back up against the wall when someone is being critical (big difference from trolling or insulting) of something you own and use (BlackBerry users know this feeling all too well). But if you take a step back and listen to what they have to say, you may gain perspective. All platforms have their weaknesses...it's better to know what they are than bury your head in the sand and be ignorant.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
One thing I took out of that podcast that I agree with too is what Kevin said about all smartphone platforms being pretty good these days. It's true. They all will get you from A to B. After that, it's on the user to pick their flavor.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I took out of that podcast that I agree with too is what Kevin said about all smartphone platforms being pretty good these days. It's true. They all will get you from A to B. After that, it's on the user to pick their flavor.

anon(1019781)

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Anybody who can't listen to somebody badmouth their phone without getting upset and angry needs to get a life, if the comments about the chat room that night are true.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I really enjoyed the podcast. I like that you pointed out what Apple can do to make the iPhone better. I also completely agree with you. I have owned both Blackberry and Android. I like things about each, but prefer my iPhone. Even though I prefer my iPhone I would really like to try out the Blackberry 10 and if I had the money to do so I would.

Good conversation here folks! Definitely a podcast worth listening to if I do say so myself. :)

@kch50428 How'd you know I love Burger King? Lol. I disagree with the comment about about objectiveness/etc. In reality, what I've discovered is that us Mobile Nations guys are the least biased out there, because we state our obvious bias up front. I'm very much a "platform champion" for BlackBerry, as Rene is for Apple and Phil for Android and Dan for Windows Phone. We definitely want to see our platforms succeed, and we know their strengths/weaknesses inside and out. So yes, when talking about our "home" platforms, we can justify anything and everything when we want to and if we need to. But our position on that is clear. However, when it comes to discussing other platforms, we're the best out there as we don't hold back once we're talking. Most tech sites out there who are covering all platforms tend to be a little reserved, as they don't want to tick anybody off. But I am definitely very "blunt" when it comes to what I think is good and bad about other platforms, manufacturers, etc.. It's very easy to call it as I see it. And as pointed out, I own a ridiculous amount of Apple gear. I own enough, use it enough that I definitely feel like I can get away my rants there. But really, I wasn't ranting... think everything I pointed out was fair, also as noted above.

@Gaius Yeah, I was shocked when I learned that too, but it makes sense. A company like BlackBerry is a two thumb typing culture. Apple, one thumb. Kinda crazy, but it makes sense and explains a lot. There's a reason they didn't want to make that iPhone 5 any wider... and that was a large part of it. As soon as you go wider, it makes it hard to type with one thumb.

Big thanks to Rene for having me on the show. Rene is a great debater, and on this show he let me vent a lot. We'll get into some great mobile debates in future cross platform discussions and podcasts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711