Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Badge icons displayed for Twitter but should be banner notifications

I have selected banner Twitter notifications but I keep receiving Badge notifications for Twitter. Suggestions? Thanks.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Badge icons displayed for Twitter but should be banner notifications

I have banner displaying for Twitter notifications but Badges will not display.
    So I've determined it must be one or the other.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, did you try turning you iPhone off and on?
    Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.2
    Former Storm2 & Palm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Badge icons displayed for Twitter but should be banner notifications

Quote Originally Posted by wingate View Post
    I have selected banner Twitter notifications but I keep receiving Badge notifications for Twitter. Suggestions? Thanks.
    It sounds like you might be confused--one doesn't have anything to do with the other, really. You can select one, both, or neither. Here's how it works:

Banner only: You'll get the banner at the top when you have a new notification. It will roll away if you don't act on it, and you will not get an icon badge.
    Badge only: You'll get a badge icon when you have a new notification, but no other alert. The badge will disappear when you open your Twitter app.
    Banner AND Badge: You'll get the banner at the top when you have a new notification. It will roll away if you don't act on it--at which point you will get an icon badge which will remain until you open your Twitter app to act on it.

If you select neither, you'll get no notification until you open the app.

You can also set your options for View in Lockscreen and In Notification Center in the same Settings panel. Hope that helps!
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Yes! Opt out of "View in Locksceen" seems to have resolved my problem. Thank you for your assistance.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post

Banner AND Badge: You'll get the banner at the top when you have a new notification. It will roll away if you don't act on it--at which point you will get an icon badge which will remain until you open your Twitter app to act on it.

You can also set your options for View in Lockscreen and In Notification Center in the same Settings panel. Hope that helps!
    Massie, help me out here.

In Notifications, I have the following:
    Notification Center On
    Banners selected
    Badge App Icon On
    Sounds On
    View in Lock Screen On

I get the Banners
    I do get the view in Lock Screen.
    But no Badges

TIA

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Massie, help me out here.

In Notifications, I have the following:
    Notification Center On
    Banners selected
    Badge App Icon On
    Sounds On
    View in Lock Screen On

I get the Banners
    I do get the view in Lock Screen.
    But no Badges

TIA
    If that's the setup, you should be getting badges--but they only last until you open the app. So if you're already in the Twitter app when you get a banner notification (or if you are tap a Twitter banner notification from somewhere else to open Twitter) you won't get a badge for that notification, because you're dealing with it right then: the badge is only for notifications that have come in while the app is closed.

In fact, that's exactly my setup, and my Twitter icon does stay badged until I open the app.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well unfortunately it's not showing Badges for me.
    I reported this to Twitter support some time ago and they sent me a canned reply saying it would be fix in an update.
    Well the update came and still no Badges.
    That was the case before the iOS 6 update as well.
    Tks anyway Massie

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That's definitely weird. Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That's definitely weird. Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it?
    Yes - deleted again last night with no success in having the Badges show up.
    Tks Massie

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iPhone Nanite

TurboTiger

I'm having the exact same problem. Have you figured out how to resolve it yet?

Thanks
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bechau View Post
    TurboTiger

I'm having the exact same problem. Have you figured out how to resolve it yet?

Thanks
    bechau,

Unfortunately no luck and no reply from Twitter support.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Please post her if anyone figures out what is going on. I have the iPhone 5 on ATT, and have turned on BOTH banner and badge notifications. I get the banners all the time - but have NEVER received the badge notifications. When I see the banners, I do NOT click on them, so they should still be shown on the badge...... Thanks!
    iPhone Nanite

I think it's a bug for sure. Already notified twitter but no update yet.
    Let's all let them know this fix should be included in the next update.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

OK, I just contacted Twitter as well. I will post a reply as soon as I hear back....
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Bad news guys,
    I just installed the new Twitter update released today (5.1) and STILL no stinking badges.
    Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I wonder if you all might share your notification setups, if you're jailbroken or not, etc. Maybe we'll see something you're all doing in common...seems weird that it would only be broken for some users. Still haven't had any issues myself.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I wonder if you all might share your notification setups, if you're jailbroken or not, etc. Maybe we'll see something you're all doing in common...seems weird that it would only be broken for some users. Still haven't had any issues myself.
    Massie,

Here are my Settings > Notifications > Twitter:
    Notification Center On
    Show 5 Recent Items
    Alert Style Banners
    Badge App Icon On
    Sounds On
    View in Lock Screen On

TIA

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks—and you don't have any trouble with badges on other app icons using similar settings?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks—and you don't have any trouble with badges on other app icons using similar settings?
    Badges do display on other apps.
    And I recently restored as new my iPhone for other reason and as hoping it would resolve the Twitter issue.
    Tks Massie

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

My settings are exactly the same - with the exception of "View in Lock Screen: Off". Not jail broken.

Badge notification works great on mail, phone, Facebook, etc.

I also upgraded today, and still no luck. Still waiting to hear back from Twitter C/S......
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I just received the following from Twitter customer service. It's rather generic, so we'll see if anything happens. Will keep you all posted......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for writing to us. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are investigating what may have caused it. I’ve added your account details as an example for them to reference.

Once we’ve identified and fixed the problem, your account will be affected automatically, so there's no need for you to check back.

While we are closing this ticket, we haven’t forgotten about your issue and hope to have a fix out as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

-m_k
    --
    Twitter Support
    support.twitter.com
    @support
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by marky66 View Post
    Badge notification works great on mail, phone, Facebook, etc.
    You know it's bad when the Facebook badges work better than something else! Wish I could be more help to you all but it sounds like it's on Twitter's end. Good luck!

Global Posts
    14,558 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

If that's the setup, you should be getting badges--but they only last until you open the app. So if you're already in the Twitter app when you get a banner notification (or if you are tap a Twitter banner notification from somewhere else to open Twitter) you won't get a badge for that notification, because you're dealing with it right then: the badge is only for notifications that have come in while the app is closed.

In fact, that's exactly my setup, and my Twitter icon does stay badged until I open the app.
    Same exact way here too.

- - - Updated - - -

Massie by the way out of curiosity if I have my Twitter App closed and shut down but signed in though what are the badges for? I got one today and when I opend it I could not tell what it was for and I have my app setup exactly like yours.
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by marky66 View Post
    I just received the following from Twitter customer service. It's rather generic, so we'll see if anything happens. Will keep you all posted......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for writing to us. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are investigating what may have caused it. I’ve added your account details as an example for them to reference.

Once we’ve identified and fixed the problem, your account will be affected automatically, so there's no need for you to check back.

While we are closing this ticket, we haven’t forgotten about your issue and hope to have a fix out as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

-m_k
    --
    Twitter Support
    support.twitter.com
    @support
    This is the exact message that I received several months ago. Nothing ever happened.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover

Global Posts
    14,558 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    This is the exact message that I received several months ago. Nothing ever happened.

Good Luck
    I hate to rain on your parade and nothing ever will happen either. Twitter 5.1 was just released yesterday and when I went into iTunes to the app (Not the update) to see what was new you will not believe how many complaints there are and not to mention the article Rene Richie has on his own experience on the front page of iMore.

I believe I will keep what I have now which works perfect until I hear better results from the new 5.1 app.
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast