Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Default iMessage problems with my contacts

I hope I can make the most sense explaing this the best I can.

My friend has an iPhone and an iPad. I have a iPhone and a Mac book with iMessage built in through mountain lion. Whenever she texts me from each of her devices sometimes I get all the conversation under one name and sometimes her name is broken up into two different conversations with the same contact name. I can't figure out why when she sends me something from her phone sometimes it comes into my phone under a new conversation but her same name and other times it filters under one name like it should no matter if she texts me from her iPhone or iPad?

THIS thread *may* answer your question.

Just Me, D
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Expert

Default Re: iMessage problems with my contacts

does anyone maybe know why imessage is doing this with my conversations?

Before iOS 6 her iPad is sending from her email address and her phone from the number her contact in your phone has both ... So on your end it shows 2 threads same person but from diff sources

Tell her to update to iOS 6 on her devices lol it will allow her iPad to send using her phone number so all message on her devices will sync
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Expert

so it has nothing to do with how I have my imessage set up on my iphone and mac computer? I have my apple ID signed into both devices on imessage and I can be reached at either by my phone number or apple id address on both devices and when it says "start new conversation from" i have my phone number selected on both imessage devices. make sense?

Yes you are fine it's her devices that need set up correctly I would bet on her end both it's only one conversation because all your devices are using your number
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Expert

haha yep. she only receives my messages in one name

Its funny though because on my computer imessage I only receive her messages in one name but on my phone I receive them as two? What are your thoughts about that?

Depends how what device she is sending them to you from and if she is sending to your number or your email basically is why is iOS 6 apple fixed it
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Expert

well when I'm talking to her on my mac book i think she is sending them from both devices just like when she is talking to me and im on my phone. my phone seems to receive them as two conversations where my mac book receives them as one. don't know whats going on

Does the Mac have a setting to receive using your number ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Does the Mac have a setting to receive using your number ?
    When you configure iMessage on your Mac and iOS 6 devices, your phone number listed as a received at option. So yes. If someone sends an iMessage using my mobile number, I will receive the iMessage on my Mac as well as my i-devices.