iOS6 constantly asking for iTunes password???

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
For the past several days, I've been experiencing an issue both on my iPhone and iPad 3 running iOS 6. The login window for iTunes pops up and asks me to input my password. It's kind of like the old screen that would pop up after purchasing an App in the App Store. But now it's happening all over the place and at random times, both on my iPhone AND iPad. It is not repeatable either, just random. I can be opening Facebook or browsing the web in safari and it'll pop up. I opened up a news app last night and it popped up. And also last night, it was popping multiple times in safari. For a moment I thought I had a virus.

Has anyone else experienced this or can shed some light on what is going on. Something tells me it might me iMessage related, since I don't log in to it and iOS 6 might be more integrated with iMessage, but the randomness of the pop ups leaves me unsure.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Settings>> iTunes&AppStores>> tap your apple ID - select "Log Out" - reboot the phone, then go back to where you were and Log in again and see if that helps.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
It just popped up again on my iPhone halfway through writing a text message. Logged out and rebooted my phone per your suggestion. It even popped up in the middle of trying to log back in to iTunes via the settings menu. Again, this happens on both my iPhone AND iPad.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
UPDATE: It's still happening. The exact message is "Apple ID Password", not iTunes like I said before. Then it shows my email address and then the box to type in my password. I've tried typing the password but sometimes it comes right back and asks me again.

I've gotten this same message several times on both my iPhone and iPad since signing out of the iTunes and App Store in the system menu and rebooting both devices. It's driving me nuts! LoL

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
That's the weirdest bug I ever heard of on an iPhone. Perhaps you might consider backing up everything and restoring it.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
It does it on BOTH my iPad and iPhone. Both are running iOS 6 and this issue seemed to start within the past 2-3 days. I've tried power-off reboots, hard reboots, and every other think I can think of. I've been around iOS since the first iPhone, and this issue has me perplexed!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe log out of all of it cloud iMessage FaceTime etc .. Go on apple change your password and then log in see if it Helps ...
Or maybe you have a download that is stuck did you buy anything when this all started

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't use iCloud or iMessage, though I did log out of iCloud, iTunes, etc. iMessage is turned off now, so I'll see if that makes any difference. Not sure why it would though. I've downloaded a few updates for apps, but nothing seems to be in limbo or stuck downloading.

I called AppleCare and they had no idea either, but obviously recommended doing full restores on both devices.

jayblazer

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its happening to me also on my iPad.. It hasn't done it on my phone yet. Also on both devices my safari keeps crashing.. Ugh.

I just saw your in Cincinnati.. I am also could it be a regional thing?

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Go to all the places where the Apple ID is used. Facetime, Messages, iCloud, & AppStore, and Music, Video if home sharing is being used.

Logout of all of them and turn off, iCloud, iMessage and Facetime. Then reboot the device and go back and log into everything again.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I just saw your in Cincinnati.. I am also could it be a regional thing?

Possibly. I'm willing to admit that it could be regional.

It hasn't done since last night, and today (Thursday 10/4) I haven't yet gotten the Apple ID pop up. Now, last night when i got home, i logged into my Mac to watch the iMore podcast, and there was an iCloud error message on the screen saying my password was incorrect and asking me to login again. i logged in on my Mac with my normal password and it seemed to accept it. i went back to both my iPhone and iPad and logged out of iCloud on both devices, then logged back in. I haven't had the problem
since.

I'll be sure to post again if the problem persists.

almostleesburg

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I am in Florida and I have been experiencing the issue for the last four or five days.

I have also had an issue trying to launch the Genis in the App Store. It will try to load for about 30 secs then it crashes and returns to home screen.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Tu what I did and go into settings, iCloud, and then log out and log back in again and see if that helps. You might also need to log into iCloud on a Mac or PC like I did, as that was when my problem actually stopped for good. Let us know how it goes.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go here via a computer and select "Manage Your Apple ID". After you login with your credentials, make sure that your information is "verified". If not, select to verify. Afterwards, logout of the website. On your device, go to Settings/iTunes & App Stores and then tap on your Apple ID. After that, logout. Reboot your device and then go back to the aforementioned settings and log back in. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Whenever anything like this happens I like to just start from sqaure one instead of trying different solutions over and over. So on your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, AppleTV whatever Apple devices you use the Apple ID on turn off the services and shut down the device if possible. So turn off iCloud, iMessage, Facetime, log off your iTunes account and on the Mac log off the IP in the iTunes store. Then when all the devices have either been shut down or rebooted turn on the Mac. Login to all your services and make sure they are all working the way they should be and then power on each device and turn the services all back on.

maddogmalcs

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys

I had exactly the same problem, I tried everything before I noticed it was asking for a very old apple ID that didn't exist anymore, one that I'd updated the email to but had used to set my very first iPhone up to. I found the account in Settings>iCloud, deleted the iCloud account, (which I have never used anyway) and problem solved.

Hope this helps :cool:

(Thanks to bamf-hacker) for putting me on the right track)

ibbs92

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
The very same thing is happening to my phone. every single time i turn on or click on an app on my iPhone it pops up turns out it purchases an app.

Sachin Dev

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you happen to download an app using a different ID? This usually happens when u switch accounts to install apps on the same device. I have the same issue.. No clue how to sort it out though.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711