Amber Alerts

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
What's the status of Amber Alerts (and Emergency Alerts) in iOS 6? I see them in Notifications on my iPhone 5 (on Verizon) but two people I work with that have an iPhone 5 (both on AT&T) don't show it. Is it only working in Verizon phones at this time? Or did I change some setting that they didn't, causing them to appear?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What's the status of Amber Alerts (and Emergency Alerts) in iOS 6? I see them in Notifications on my iPhone 5 (on Verizon) but two people I work with that have an iPhone 5 (both on AT&T) don't show it. Is it only working in Verizon phones at this time? Or did I change some setting that they didn't, causing them to appear?

If I remember correctly, AT&T users do not currently have that feature. Only Verizon & Sprint customers. I posted a comment about this last week or so. If I find the post, I'll post a link to it.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

AT&T is not participating in this program for some reason at this time.

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As I read in another forum, this may be their attempt to scrape off a few more people with unlimited plans (by not warning them about the tornado heading their way) ;)

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Got my first one this morning. Scared the crap out of me. Now, my phone wasn't on silent, and my DND schedule had expired, so don't know if it will always be that loud, but if so? Yikes.

To make matters worse, my wife's 4S went of, too. Good to know it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kspector

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi..I have an iPhone 5 with Verizon and we had an amber alert in our area the other day and the phone DID NOT display an alert. Any idea as to what could be wrong? We are in the Boston area.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi..I have an iPhone 5 with Verizon and we had an amber alert in our area the other day and the phone DID NOT display an alert. Any idea as to what could be wrong? We are in the Boston area.

Go to Settings > Notifications and scroll all the way to the bottom. You should see Government Alerts. Make sure they are both on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351908746.787999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

It may be possible that the agency in charge of issuing the Amber Alert is not yet authorized to send alerts via the recently activated system that iPhones are capable of receiving.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
We have hadAmber Alerts also and have never received anything.. Even severe weather...

Not sure how and when it's supposed to work... But would be nice getting some clarification from carriers.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Well this really sucks. An important feature like this and AT&T doesn't have it. Wow, there really is no excuse for that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How does it work, both of them are on for me and I have Sprint.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

According to THIS site, the emergency alerts are on by default and rely on tower location to know who to alert. If a visitor was in my neighborhood on vacation their phone would also receive the notification, without the need to sign up for alerts.

Unfortunately the notification is not interactive. Tapping on the message will not direct the user to more information about the current emergency.

Zach7

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Well those that have At&t can at least sign up for local alerts from the weather channel here: https://registration.weather.com/ursa/alerts/step1

Or you can utilize the Weatherbug app. They have Severe Weather Alerts and works fairly well! Weather for Apple iPhone Smartphones - WeatherBug

Come on At&t, get with the program and take care of your people!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2