Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default no sound on ios 6

i have an i4 on ios 6.0

ive noticed on several occasions that the sound stops working. as in, no more volume controls. no sound from the ipod.
    ring tones and alerts work. no keyboard sounds. no lock sounds. and when i press the volume buttons there is no +/-

tried a soft/ hard restart. tried playing around with the sound settings. dnd.

after a few hrs it just started working. works fine with headphones too..

anyone else have this prob?
    i doubt its a hardware prob...
    iPhone 5s 16gb (8.0)
    MacBook Pro 2.4 (10.10)
    iPod Classic 160gb (grey)
    JamesHoyland23 likes this.

Global Posts
    22,224 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: no sound on ios 6

Not me. My sound settings are as they should be and my notifications are clearly heard with the exception of the times I have the Don Not Disturb feature enabled.
    iMore Beginner

Do you dock your iPhone to a clock radio or speakers? If you do, do you ever take it off while the music is playing? Been there and done that and lost sound on mine... I now turn off the music before removing the iPhone from the dock, and no more problems. The next time it happens, touch the airplay icon and see where the sound is going.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i tried all that.. it still comes and goes as it pleases.. i hope it gets fixed with 6.1

i dont dock my phone. but ive been using the do not disturb feature at nights.. maybe some bug with that.

no sound on ios 6-img_0903.pngno sound on ios 6-img_0904.png
    iPhone 5s 16gb (8.0)
    MacBook Pro 2.4 (10.10)
    iPhone Nanite

I have the same problem with iPhone 4 and iOS 6.0. No sound. I think it happened after I unplugged my earbud without turning off the audio player. Now there is no sound anywhere.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    iOS Version

it comes and goes in random fashion.. its a software bug far as i can figure.. hope its fixed with 6.1
    iPhone 5s 16gb (8.0)
    MacBook Pro 2.4 (10.10)
    iPhone Nanite

There's a very good chance that its caused by a defective dock. I've fixed plenty of iDevices and this was one of the issues I've experienced. In particular the iPhone 4.

Global Posts
    3,615 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have this problem on occasion with my iPhone 5. Sound just stops working always for a short period of time and very random.
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by stellarola View Post
    There's a very good chance that its caused by a defective dock. I've fixed plenty of iDevices and this was one of the issues I've experienced. In particular the iPhone 4.
    If you read 2 posts up from yours he claimed he didn't use a dock.
    iPhone Nanite

I have exactly the same since I updated to iOS 6. I don't use any docking things just use it normally and outbid the blue the volume will totally stop working...it doesn't make sense!

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Reset all setting and setup as new iPhone.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Retconaddict View Post
    If you read 2 posts up from yours he claimed he didn't use a dock.
    Sorry, you misunderstood me. I mean the actual dock component inside the iPhone. Not an accessory.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    iOS Version

it could be a hardware prob.. but the timing suggests its a software issue
    iPhone 5s 16gb (8.0)
    MacBook Pro 2.4 (10.10)
    iPhone Nanite

Same issue here. I fell asleep with music playing with the volume low, when I woke up in the morning I had no sound.
    iPhone Nanite

My wife's IPhone 4 has the same issue. The sound will just stop randomly and then anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours later, the sounds just start working again. Re-starts and complete resets will work for a little while but then it starts all over again. I think it has to be a bug in the software.
    iPhone Nanite

i have it to i feel like throwing it throw apples window
    iPhone Intermediate

Happened once when I was messing with Mirroring and headphone jack..... It's a Software bug... It gets confused I guess.... 6.1 will fix it
    iPhone Nanite

I have had this issue of no sound with both my iPhone and IPad2 since upgrading to IOS 6. Comes and goes but usually AFTER docking it on a dock in my bedroom or the dock in my car.
    Many more times with the Iphone than the Ipad. So far, if I turn it off with the slider and then back on, it's fixed until the next time. I'm also convinced it is a software problem.

The second problem I had was that my Personal Hotspot would not work- someone on the forum fixed this by changing the password on all devices. This also worked for me and now working fine.
    iPhone Nanite

I also have a problem with sound on my iPad iOS 6.0. I don't do any docking either.
    Some apps provide no sound now even though on their web equivalent the sound is fine.
    Itunes Festival is one app where the sound does work fine.
    I've started using Do Not Disturb recently so I agree it may be involved somehow
    iPhone Nanite

Is the partial absence of sound due to a modification brought in in ios 6 that third-party developers have not addressed yet? To me this is a major problem. Are there so few of us with this problem that Apple doesn't deign to speak about it?
    Last edited by singeng; 11-01-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    iPhone Nanite

I have the same exact issue with my 4s since I updated to 6.0. Incredibly inconvenient and I feel is a major problem that should be addressed ASAP.

Lets see what happens
    iPhone Nanite

I have had this problem with my iPad 2, less than a year old. Sound on apps and video randomly disappears and comes back for no reason. The sound never entirely goes away, though; I can still adjust the volume in the Settings and hear the loudness of ringtones (for example), so I know the speaker isn't broken. The volume slider just flat out DISAPPEARS from the controls. YET, when I plug in the headphones, the volume comes back. Unplug them? Gone. Since this is intermittent I can't reproduce the problem on command.

Last week I sent it in to Apple after talking to two "advisors" on the phone.

I figured the problem would be solved and they would fix it or send me a new one. Nope. They told me I need to pay $260 to fix a "ding" on the corner of the iPad before they will even LOOK at the sound problem, even after they ADMITTED that the cosmetic defect had NOTHING to do with the problem with sound.

So I'm having them send it back to me, unfixed, and hoping that a software update fixes this. I think this is a widespread issue that Apple won't address and it makes me quite angry. I'm a longtime Apple customer and even though I love their products, this makes me consider switching back to Windows and Android OS.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,453 Global Posts

This is most definitely an OS 6.x bug...ex-blackberry users will relate to this issue very well...I have seen texts and emails come in with no sound or a delay in the alert tone being played...this never happened to me when I was using a 4 on 5.1.1 - my tolerance is pretty high as long as it doesn't happen with a call in which case I would get worried. But I do think that if this is happening with a few people, it could be the combo of os 6 when we restore from a 5 backup...I'm still holding out from restoring as new....but I just might have to trouble shoot this!
    iPhone Nanite

Same problem here. My iphone (4s) thinks it at on the docking connector. When he is on the docking station I get the option for the sound iphone instead of docking connector.
    The thing is switched. I thing it is really a software problem. But how to fix it, it is very frustrating. Try everthing including set up as new iphone. Cleaning the dockconnector etc.Nothing works.
    I did nothing special before. Just listening to YouTube with my earphones, next morning, boom, no sound.
    Hope they will fix it very soon with new update.
    iPhone Nanite

im think i got solution for u guys.

try follow this method..at least
    DIRECTIONS FOR THIS FIX:

1) Jailbreak your iDevice. yes must JB. google is ur best friends. im know its illegal here..but at least im try to fix prob at same time ios enginner not do it.

2) Download and install 'ifunbox' (link below). It's available for both Mac and PC

hhttp://www.i-funbox.com/

3) Connect iPhone to your PC/Mac and run ifunbox

NOTE: if ifunbox won't work for you, download 'iFile' through Cydia and you can perform the following steps to this fix directly on the iPhone!

4) Within ifunbox(or iFile), on the left column navigate to System / Library / LaunchDaemons

5) Within the right column find 'com.apple.iapd.plist', right click then select delete. jsut used search windows to find this plist.

6) Close ifunbox and reboot the iPhone....YOU MUST REBOOT!

7) Enjoy sounds again on your iPhone!

NOTE: Deleting the 'com.apple.iapd.plist' may effect the functioning of hardware accessories that go with various apps, such as FM transmitters and Nike accessories, etc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast