iOS 6 maps and turn by turn review

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the chance this morning to give the turn by turn nav a test. Had to take a hour ride outside Philly to a area I'm not familiar with.

Going I used Nav Tec which I usually use and it was on point as always.

Coming back I used Apple turn by turn and I give it 5 stars.

First thing was that I didn't need a address to my destination going because once I got to this town my friend knew where to go so I didn't have a address.

So as I waited for my friend to finish with their appointment I wanted to mark my current location in Nav Tec so I could save as a favorite when I make this trip again. Nav Tec gave me the route back home but the current location was blank. I opened up Apple maps and boom it gave me a current location and the address of the building I was parked in front of and was able to save as a contact which is great.

Also after I had the return route in Apple Nav my friend wanted to drive around the town to show me certain things and instead of constantly hearing "recalculating" from SIRI it just kept pointing me toward home and where to make certain turns to go home.

Once I started home Apple Nav was spot on the money. One thing is that the map itself could be darker for glare situations or maybe have a day and night adjustment. All in all Apple turn by turn pretty good.

Sky_eye

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I like the turn by turn navigation, I thought it was easy to use and right on the money. However, one thing did bug me was when I had it on the lock screen, it would go off and than turn on right at the turn.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the turn by turn navigation, I thought it was easy to use and right on the money. However, one thing did bug me was when I had it on the lock screen, it would go off and than turn on right at the turn.

That's a battery saving feature.

Jonsgoat

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I figured I'd save some memory and deleted Tom Tom. Today after work I tried the new app to find a hobby shop near where I was working. Ended up on a turn pike with no exit for 16 miles. After driving 16 miles out and 16 miles back. I lost about 45 minutes from my day a couple bucks & I felt a little stupid for getting stuck on a turn pike. I've since re-installed the Tom Tom app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

When I do Nav I try and remember to screen lock to never.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How to enable speak directions on the new maps? Thanks

Initiate the Maps app and then press the arrow in the top left corner of the screen. Now type in your destination and hit route. Afterwards. Tap start in the upper right corner. Voila!

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
How do you get the flyover to work?

Tap the bottom right corner to and change to satellite view.

Next press the 3D button.

Voila. Flyover mode.

You can zoom in or out as well as use a two finger rotate gesture to spin around.

Point to note - doesn't work everywhere supported cities only.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i tested navigation. it worked ok. But one think i hate is the window is almost top down not sort of ground level like my garmin or waze is. so at a glance it's hard to visualize. That i dislike a lot. Possibly enough to just stick with waz but i'll likely use my standalone garmin anyways.

But the other thing i hated was there's always a giant green sign covering the map, i can't tell where i where it wanted me to go half the time. it sat right in the center of screen. Sort of like old ios notifications. I didn't like that at all. maybe using it more it will go away or something but so far i'm barely impressed. i do like that i can use siri to plot routes, and it's much easier to actually find places to navigate to simply because the keyboard's there and the keyboard on my garmin is crap and it. But it's much easier to search for something, find it on my iphone and plot the course for navigation. But my garmin is really accurate and reliable and visually fits my eye. And i do wonder what happens to my iphone navigation if i lose cellular signal. i lose that often as i live in a coastal area where right by the ocean there are many dead spots. Luckily i know where i'm going over that way.

Oh it also Siri struggles to plot navigation to or find simple addresses. It even hears the address correctly, displays it correctly in the text of what it searched for, but can't find it properly. And even weirder after about 7 different times i got it to find the location by name of the business and it clearly displays the exact same address on siri down to he correctly placed comma and city name. The same address that Siri said it couldn't find to plot the navigation for originally. And worse it was even the exact address listed on Yelp which i thought Siri would at least have in its data.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It got me where I was going. But the experience sucks compared to Navigon. The info at your disposal, the screen, the visuals. I hate the green sign covering the top half with little info on it.

To be honest, I'm disappointed in the UI altogether since this is Apple. I expected better on this while I did expect POI to be lacking.

Still, I like having turn by turn in the maps. Everyone has it. I can easily send a destination to any iOS user and not worry if they have navigon or whatever app. It could be convenient to use at times..such as with Siri, or on the fly. Navigon will still be my primary nav app though.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I used Apple turn by turn yesterday to go to a very popular mall here outside of Philly again it was good except that it when I got to the intersection where the Mall was located it wanted me to u turn instead of turning left into mall entrance but I believe there is a reason for this.

Since the address I used was for a particular store that is outside of the mall but on the mall grounds and there is only one street to get to this store and that's the street entrance to the mall the nav wants to put you in a area where the address is which may not be a street this happens all the time with navigation.

For a out of towner it may have been confusing. Sometimes you just gotta use common sense with these things. You see a mall go into the mall lot look for the store. You see several stores outside the main mall look for the store outside the main mall. I've never had absolutely perfect navigation but for it's first time Apple did a good job and it will get better.

ls108

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Used the Maps and Navigation several times this weekend for simple local trips. It was simple to you and spot on the mark.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
used again today and i do have to say, it does plot some strange routes. Navigation needs way more customization like avoiding uturns, avoid freeways, default plotting for fastest route or shortest distance. And yeah as i mentioned before the angle and giant green sign are horrible for the experience. Navigation isn't remotely zoomed in enough. when you're driving at a glance you it's hard to see that a street is coming up. And i need to see the line in the street on the map turn right or left because often in urban areas like mine there's just no street sign of some streets and with all the traffic i also don't want to take my eye off the road looking for street signs. I hate that guy. You know him he's in front of you hella driving slow cause he doesn't know where he's going and has to slow down to visually locate the street signs. I don't want to be that guy. And unlike waz you can't easily manipulate the map by zooming in/out or spinning it with two fingers. It's a start but navigation needs interface work and functionality work. I think Nav should have been a separate front end from maps too. i hate that whole peel the edge up thing. just give me some a normal settings button and a new page. Don't get all cutesy and over fancy. like they fricken animation doesn't even reveal the whole page. But it plots ok, and it has the right addresses but i think the experience could be quite a bit better. i hope they build it out, or google nav comes. Preferably both.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77