iOS 6 update

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else but this was, in my opinion, one of the most unexciting, uneventful iOS updates to date. A complete yawn for me! Anyone else?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else but this was, in my opinion, one of the most unexciting, uneventful iOS updates to date. A complete yawn for me! Anyone else?

That was until the "my WiFi quit" snafu - which in reality had nothing to do with the iOS update but people blamed the issue on the update anyway...

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
To me, there was almost no true innovation in this update. I personally, being a power user, look just as much forward to OS releases as I do hardware releases. I like to think I respect the OS by not jailbreaking and giving it a chance to catch up ... I waited ever so patiently over the past year, bearing inconsequential point updates, and what did I get?? Updated maps? Passbook (which I am still not entirely sure how it can really help me out too much)?? Facebook integration? Cmon, I had that 3 years ago when I owned a Palm Pre! Siri improvements?? Well since Apple didn't want to bless iphone 4 users with this feature, I cannot even take advantage of it. I get so into detail with the OS that the very first thing I did after updating was to go through every single settings menu to look for changes ... which were very minimal and did not add that much functionality. Cmon Apple, you are making it very hard to not jailbreak! Honestly, I love you but this update was just plain pathetic and uninventive! What have you been working on over the past year? And don't say the hardware, because there should be two separate groups working on the OS and hardware, which I am sure is the case. Your OS is getting tired!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
To me, there was almost no true innovation in this update. I personally, being a power user, look just as much forward to OS releases as I do hardware releases. I like to think I respect the OS by not jailbreaking and giving it a chance to catch up ... I waited ever so patiently over the past year, bearing inconsequential point updates, and what did I get?? Updated maps? Passbook (which I am still not entirely sure how it can really help me out too much)?? Facebook integration? Cmon, I had that 3 years ago when I owned a Palm Pre! Siri improvements?? Well since Apple didn't want to bless iphone 4 users with this feature, I cannot even take advantage of it. I get so into detail with the OS that the very first thing I did after updating was to go through every single settings menu to look for changes ... which were very minimal and did not add that much functionality. Cmon Apple, you are making it very hard to not jailbreak! Honestly, I love you but this update was just plain pathetic and uninventive! What have you been working on over the past year? And don't say the hardware, because there should be two separate groups working on the OS and hardware, which I am sure is the case. Your OS is getting tired!

i feel you bro. long read

kermitmama

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The update may not have been huge, but I am happy with it. I was on android for a few years and I will take a boring update over no update because my phone is 6 months old any day! I had a horrible experience with android. I am loving my iPhone and the new update.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The update may not have been huge, but I am happy with it. I was on android for a few years and I will take a boring update over no update because my phone is 6 months old any day! I had a horrible experience with android. I am loving my iPhone and the new update.

This is true I have a 3GS (for at least a couple more months when my upgrade is available) and I just got another iOS update, pretty awesome I think. It seems to be handling it pretty well too, just as sluggish (dare I say maybe a tad less) as it was on 5.1.1 but with a couple new features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite content with the latest update, thus far. I mean, I wasn't expecting anything significant, but I do like the update that we got.

kermitmama

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Totally awesome! Android says the heck with you if you aren't on the newest phone. And never knowing if an app that works on one phone will screw up the next phone you own is just frustrating. I know android users call us isheep, but if being a sheep gets me a phone that works, I say baa!

kermitmama

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
This is true I have a 3GS (for at least a couple more months when my upgrade is available) and I just got another iOS update, pretty awesome I think. It seems to be handling it pretty well too, just as sluggish (dare I say maybe a tad less) as it was on 5.1.1 but with a couple new features.

I meant to quote you in my post before. Sorry :(

af6pu

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Apple Maps - I think they are a disaster!

I love all things Apple. Since I stood in line to get my first iPhone 3G on the first Saturday that they came out, I have never had an iPhone out of my hands. I am so incredibly disappointed in the new maps. I really appreciate the tremendous new features of iOS 6 and many of the cool things added to Maps, but the Apple Maps are now unreadable by me! The narrow city streets against a beige field, makes all the streets just fade away.

I am profoundly disappointed with this. This is not an improvement at all, and navigation absolutely is poor because of it. I appreciate the new turn-by-turn and recalculation of routes, but having a Maps programs with horrid maps is just silly. What were they thinking?!

I am so sorry to go on a rant here, especially when I am a certifiable fan boy - bought my first Mac in '84 and my first Apple in '77 - even had a Newton - but I am really, incredibly bummed by the app that has such great import in my life being really messed up.

I tried my Geocaching app today, and what a mess. I had a very difficult time trying to figure out the streets to get to where I wanted to go. The little geocache markers were bobbing around and looked like Max Headroom's head. It did bring some hearty chuckles from my wife and kids, though.

The satellite views are fair, but I don't think that you can zoom in quite as closely as you could with the Google Maps. They also appear just a bit fuzzier. Hard to tell for sure, but they didn't seem as crisp.

Again, sorry to rant - but if not here - where?

Thank you for your support. I know this little issue will get better. Love everything else!!!! - and the update to Mountain Lion too!

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Well said. With android pushing the limits I wonder if anyone will jump ship.

Thanks. I would think people would be more apt to jailbreak versus completely jump ship. This is obviously far better for apple.

cacb90

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with it. I don't care what people say about android. I used to have one and I wouldn't buy another one. The iPhone is simply smooth and works well.