Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #51  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    It worked for me last night using the native alarm clock. No mag, or emails or tweets came through,

They were waiting for me when I woke up.

But I had to give up using the app Alarm Clock to make it work since the phone has to be locked to enable DnD. Consequently, no clock display during the night. Hopefully the app will be updated.

Good Luck
    Oh, that's what's going on! I have been getting email sounds all night long even with DND, but I have to use TimeTuner for my alarm clock, so I guess DND isn't quite what I needed yet.
    iPhone Intermediate

DND will not work unless you have phone locked
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Do Not Disturb Question

Sorry to wake this thread up from the dead but i just updated yesterday to 6.0.1. Now i have a question in regards to DnD, which is just not making sense to me so maybe i'm missing something. OK, so I have DnD set for scheduled ON quiet time 10pm-630am. call from favorites only. repeated calls ON. I then went into the settings menu and turned the DnD to ON. Now i'm under the impression because i have specific time set to DnD from 1030pm-630am that if i leave the main toggle in setting to ON it will ONLY function during those times i set.

Now, sitting here i had a calendar event to go off at 10am, and just looking at the time a few mins ago, i realized my calendar alarm never sounded. Yes my phone was sitting locked.

Am i missing a setting or something? Is my DnD not functioning properly? OR is it that even with the main switch in setting toggled to ON my phone regardless of time set, thinks its in DnD mode because its sitting locked?

i can add, that when i went in and toggled that main switch to OFF, i set a test calendar event which sounded with no problem, and my call came through as well.

thanks for any insite

iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*

Global Posts
    11,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With DnD... if you use the toggle to turn it on... it's on until you turn it off. You've got the scheduled one properly set - that's all you need... you don't have to toggle it on. The scheduled one will do its thing without any additional intervention.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    ThePinkChameleon (11-10-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Do Not Disturb Question

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    With DnD... if you use the toggle to turn it on... it's on until you turn it off. You've got the scheduled one properly set - that's all you need... you don't have to toggle it on. The scheduled one will do its thing without any additional intervention.
    Keith, your gonna wanna shoot me about 20mins after I posted this the light bulb went on and I realized what I was making so technical was really so easy & the answer was right in front of me. I at first was under the understanding that the main DnD in the settings screen ON affected the scheduled time for it functioning. Lol. and I didn't get a chance to get back & edit my post that I fig'd it out.😳

Thank you for the clarification anyway😃 I appreciate it! And hey this may help someone else out too!!

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    juststart likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,429 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Keith, your gonna wanna shoot me about 20mins after I posted this the light bulb went on and I realized what I was making so technical was really so easy & the answer was right in front of me. I at first was under the understanding that the main DnD in the settings screen ON affected the scheduled time for it functioning. Lol. and I didn't get a chance to get back & edit my post that I fig'd it out.

Thank you for the clarification anyway I appreciate it! And hey this may help someone else out too!!

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!
    Pink,
    I think the layout is confusing.
    Perhaps they should have worded the 1st DnD as "Manual DnD Setting" then in small print " go to Notifications to Schedule DnD"
    Anyway. This is a great feature. Now if we could just get the clock to display all night as a night clock - you know like the BB Bedside Mode.
    It's tuff leaning up to see over my wife, at night while in bed, to see the time on her BB. :o
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 11-10-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover

Global Posts
    11,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Keith, your gonna wanna shoot me about 20mins after I posted this the light bulb went on and I realized what I was making so technical was really so easy & the answer was right in front of me.
    No shooting from me... Glad it's all clear for you now.
    Thanked by:
    ThePinkChameleon (11-11-2012)
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Pink,
    I think the layout is confusing.
    Perhaps they should have worded the 1st DnD as "Manual DnD Setting" then in small print " go to Notifications to Schedule DnD"
    Anyway. This is a great feature.
    I'll agree that it would have been better clarified on the setting screen.
    Now if we could just get the clock to display all night as a night clock - you know like the BB Bedside Mode.
    It's tuff leaning up to see over my wife, at night while in bed, to see the time on her BB. :o
    Good Luck
    even when I had my bb, I never used the bedside mode. So for me having/not having this feature wouldn't make a difference, whereas for you or others it would
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

i just updated yesterday to 6.0.1.

Welcome to 6.0.1. Pink. DnD is one of my favorite features.
    Thanked by:
    ThePinkChameleon (11-11-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    No shooting from me... Glad it's all clear for you now.
    WooHoo !! no need to duck and run

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Fit24 View Post
    Welcome to 6.0.1. Pink. DnD is one of my favorite features.
    thanks Fit i set it up yesterday morn (as you can see), and last night while prepping to turn in i always do a last check on my phone, close out stuff, and i saw the little half moon show up in my top bar I think this will be a fave of mine too and out of all nights, not one single email or msg came in either LOL
    Fit24 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 e1.5

I gotta ask now that people have used this for a while. Is there any way to get selective SMS messages from specific persons while in the DND mode?

Global Posts
    6,136 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfeet View Post
    I gotta ask now that people have used this for a while. Is there any way to get selective SMS messages from specific persons while in the DND mode?
    I don't think so. You can get selective phone calls from your favorites but it doesn't include SMS.
    Thanked by:
    Blackfeet (11-11-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

If you don't mind, I'd like to bring this question back from beyond. I've had this problem with DND and was wondering if there was any quick fix to this. I've used the DND Feature since it first came out and love it. I have Notifications set for DND from 11:00pm to 5:00 am and it works great. Actually, TOO great. The only thing that I want to set up for DND is Email. I get text messages for Weather warnings, Emergency notifications, my burglar alarm activation when I am away, someone from my crew calling in sick.... Things like this. All I want quiet during that time is my Email. I get several emails that are computer processed such as forum updates, direct deposit check stubs, spam, junk mail... that come in all hours of the night. If I set up DND on notifications, I get total silence during that time. I'm afraid that when I am out of town, or at work, that my alarm system will go off and I'll not get a notification either by text, or voice call. Is there any way to set up DND on notifications to ONLY affect email? Everything else, I need to get 24 hours a day. Anything that gets sent by email can wait until the morning. Text and phone calls are a totally different story though.

Global Posts
    11,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Brad - you can use the "Favorites exception"... in your contacts list - edit the contact(s) that you want to to reach you at all hours... at the bottom of the contact screen for each is "Add to Favorites"... then select the phone number(s) and email addresses you want to be able to contact you at all hours as Favorites... then in the DnD set up, allow calls from Favorites...
    darkpurple92 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Ok, I can see what you are saying and it does make sense. But what about SMS messages that are computer generated? Such as Weather warnings, or my alarm company? Those don't come in with a phone number, but something like 360-84. By the way, I love the quick response I got to an old thread.

Global Posts
    11,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version

DnD doesn't play well with sms or email notifications... or 3rd party apps... I use My-Cast - and subscribe to the alerts function on it on my iPhone, and it alerts me fine when the phone is in DnD for the things I have it set up to alert on.
    Thanked by:
    Brad Bilger (02-22-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 e1.5

@Brad; This is going to sound like I am pimping for the app, but I use BackBoard for exactly the reasons you specified above. I need to get SMS in the middle of the night, not the least of which is from my kids. But I also work for a County F.D., and get emergency recall and incident info I need to respond to. BackBoard allows me to set up a "profile" that sets the alerts for email to "none", but allow SMS alerts to come through. OR, if you want to spend the time, you can set the alert for SMS to NONE also, then assign a specific SMS alert sound to the contact entry and then it will still alert when that contact sends you a SMS.

For the record, I have tried setting up a contact with a short ID as you described, i.e. 626-12, as a mobile number and it worked.

There is a whole thread HERE where this is discussed.

Just trying to help...
    iPhone Nanite

Must be a common problem then. Battalion Chief for a City Fire Department. But then again, we are used to getting up in the middle of the night for silly stuff. Guys, I thank you very much for your help. I've gotten some good ideas and gonna try out and see if they work.
    Blackfeet likes this.
    iMore Nanite

I set my phone on DND mode on, but I do not get calls from my favorites. Please help.

Global Posts
    20,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Lackie View Post
    I set my phone on DND mode on, but I do not get calls from my favorites. Please help.
    Being that I don't know all of the steps you took, please follow the guidelines/instructions listed via the following link to make sure the DND feature is set up properly.

How to set up and use Notification Center's Do Not Disturb mode | iMore

Global Posts
    11,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Settings>> Do Not Disturb>> Allow Calls From>> Make sure 'Favorites' is selected and you have people in your Address Book/Contacts as favorites that you want to bypass DnD.
    iMore Elite

you need to have caller id with your carrier to use favorites with do not disturb
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123