Apple Maps

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Okay another question about maps. What's with the turn by turn directions? I wanted to test it out so I click the nav button in the top and put in my address.

It gave me better turn by turn than my google maps, but it is nothing like a standalone turn by turn app. For one, it didn't speak the directions to me, for two it looked just like plain google maps (a dot on the road) Is the new look/full features for turn by turn just for the new iPhone?! I'm on the 4. If so, I will just stick with Waze.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
It (flyover) looks cool downtown, but not on my street. I'm really gonna miss Street View. This 3D stuff is not that useful.

Also, what's up with traffic? All I see are a few little dotted red lines scattered around the Bay Area. I know there's more traffic than that! Where's the green, orange and red freeways? I'll check back in a couple hours, during rush hour. Silicon Valley's usually red all over.

Asking for transit directions just shows apps available in the App Store. It does not show you where to walk to catch the bus, which one goes to the train station, where to transfer, etc. Nor does it tell you how long it's all gonna take.

At least Google Maps works as a web app, but I can't get Street View for some reason.

Last edited:

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay another question about maps. What's with the turn by turn directions? I wanted to test it out so I click the nav button in the top and put in my address.

It gave me better turn by turn than my google maps, but it is nothing like a standalone turn by turn app. For one, it didn't speak the directions to me, for two it looked just like plain google maps (a dot on the road) Is the new look/full features for turn by turn just for the new iPhone?! I'm on the 4. If so, I will just stick with Waze.

Waze is great. I think you need Siri for speaking.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
If Waze/TomTom/Garmin etc. can have a voice tell me to "turn right" etc. why couldn't Apple include that in their maps app?! Granted, I know reading the reviews that they are biting off way more than they can chew with this... but seriously?

As for the transit, yeah apple doesn't do the transit directions yet so that is why they are referring to the 3rd party apps

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

It does speak during navigation. Have you tried it? It works on my 4S

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks J, that's what I was afraid of. I'm going to upgrade to the 5 once I get the cash to do so. Guess I will just stick with Waze in the meanwhile.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
If Waze/TomTom/Garmin etc. can have a voice tell me to "turn right" etc. why couldn't Apple include that in their maps app?! Granted, I know reading the reviews that they are biting off way more than they can chew with this... but seriously?

They want you to upgrade.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Maps looks great and even though a bit slower than old google , it still rocks.
I do miss StreetView and hope Google releases a standalone map application ;)

littlemo78

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone found a way to have the new maps app follow your location? I was hoping it would have the turn-by-turn look/feel without having a final destination entered to see what streets, landmarks, traffic, etc. were ahead of you on the road.

littlemo78

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You just hit the location arrow button in the bottom left corner Until it changed to tracking mode

I thought that might be it, but is it possible to change to orientation of the map (north always up vs. looking straight ahead)? Also, I can't seem to keep it from timing out. Should the screen stay lit as long as the map is moving?

rpol86

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Only works on devices with Siri

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Only works on devices with Siri

False...

From the footnote on the Apple iOS6 Maps page...

"Turn-by-turn navigation is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Flyover is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply."

Last time i checked, iPad 2 did not have Siri. Also, I have an iPad 3 Wifi model (with Siri now), and I do NOT have Turn by Turn (because it is NOT a cellular model)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR