Updating to iOS6 from jailbreak

manolopzo

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I was looking for this but did not find it. Do I update a jailbroken device via air as usual? Or do I have to connect it to iTunes? (I know I will lose the jailbreak.. got no problem with that). I'm trying to find out if I need to connect to a computer. Thanks!

aaron130

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes u will need to connect to a computer. It will not update if you are jailbroken over the air it will just keep failing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dweb#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No. You definitely need to do it hooked to computer if jailbroken.

ok sir i am on a jailbroke iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 i updated OTA 2 times and both times it said there was error. Then i plugged into my computer and updated via iTunes and there was error there.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
ok sir i am on a jailbroke iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 i updated OTA 2 times and both times it said there was error. Then i plugged into my computer and updated via iTunes and there was error there.

You have to put the phone into recovery mode to update it if it's jail broken.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

yeah it happened to me when i tried to update while plugged into itunes. i'm annoyed as i now have to copy 45 GBs of music back to my phone and i'll probably lose all my settings, podcasts, wallpapers, wow just realized i'm so lucky i saved all my pictures from camera + yesterday. Well some of them. swear i so wish i'd never jailbroken. I don't use many jailbreak tweaks or apps anyways. regardless i've only had a 4s, but i've updated my 4s a few times and my mothers original ipad. I've never not had a problem. It's crashed every time. i got bad updating luck.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
yeah it happened to me when i tried to update while plugged into itunes. i'm annoyed as i now have to copy 45 GBs of music back to my phone and i'll probably lose all my settings, podcasts, wallpapers, wow just realized i'm so lucky i saved all my pictures from camera + yesterday. Well some of them. swear i so wish i'd never jailbroken. I don't use many jailbreak tweaks or apps anyways.

Reboot your phone.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Reboot your phone.

It's restoring from a backup now. 10 minutes. hopefully my stuff is still there. doubt it. But it did reboot after the update failed but it froze. The screen had a blue circular icon and a plug going from the bottom of the screen to the plug. i'm just doing whatever they say on itunes now. it said i had to restore. i rebooted but the phone was stuck. i restored, then restored from backup. that's what it's doing now.

i will say this is one think i loathe about how apple does things. It's kinda cryptic language what its doing. At least to me, coming from a windows world. Like when i update windows it just updates, it may restart, then its back to normal. i have bad luck with apple stuff updating. doesn't help that i jailbroke i'm sure.

update: says "settings restored, now it's syncing something."

Yeah Crap. i lost everything on my phone except my wallpaper. all my music. Seriously that sucks suck fricken bad. I've no clue why apple needs to erase my music. It's already taken an hour and a half and now it basically make a 900mb update into 59GB update since it has to restore all my apps and i have to copy all this music back. Luckily like i said before it's happened so many times i actually made a special playlist for my iphone with 40+ gbs of music so i can just copy it all at once rather then the tedious step of picking and choosing individual tracks from my large library.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's restoring from a backup now. 10 minutes. hopefully my stuff is still there. doubt it. But it did reboot after the update failed but it froze. The screen had a blue circular icon and a plug going from the bottom of the screen to the plug. i'm just doing whatever they say on itunes now. it said i had to restore. i rebooted but the phone was stuck. i restored, then restored from backup. that's what it's doing now.

i will say this is one think i loathe about how apple does things. It's kinda cryptic language what its doing. At least to me, coming from a windows world. Like when i update windows it just updates, it may restart, then its back to normal. i have bad luck with apple stuff updating. doesn't help that i jailbroke i'm sure.

The update got to a certain point where it erased your data and then got the error. In my experience in the
past I've gotten the error before it erased data. That's why I thought a reboot would work. Anyway, you
might as well have updated to iOS 6 while it was in recovery mode and then restored. Either way, put your
phone in recovery mode once you're ready and it'll update without error.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The update got to a certain point where it erased your data and then got the error. In my experience in the
past I've gotten the error before it erased data. That's why I thought a reboot would work. Anyway, you
might as well have updated to iOS 6 while it was in recovery mode and then restored. Either way, put your
phone in recovery mode once you're ready and it'll update without error.

yeah the important error already happened or at least the error that bothers me most, deleting all the media. Settings honestly i don't care about. that's a simple fix to me. But i think it updated already cause i can see a passport logo, but it's taking forever to update and add all my apps back. man this is suck a cluster**** of an update process. Sorry i'm just annoyed cause i read someone say it took 10 minutes and mine is 2 hours and counting and it's only copied less then half of my 150 apps and hasn't started copying any music or redownloading my podcasts. i'm just perturbed now. But it's probably my fault since i jailbroke it.

Last edited:

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with old school v. 4.2.6. The time has come to upgrade to iOS6. Since most of my jailbreak apps are NOT support in newer versions of iOS5+ (aka myProfiles), I don't really care if I lose jailbroken apps, because only 1 or 2 were paid apps.

I see multiple methods to update to iOS 6 (not jailbroken). What is the correct and safest method?

I did a backup of my phone via iTunes and downloaded the newest version of iTunes and the iOS 6 software.

1. Do I need to unjailbreak my phone first before upgrading to iOS6?
2. Can I just do a factory restore, plug into iTunes and update?

Any links to any solid guides would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with old school v. 4.2.6. The time has come to upgrade to iOS6. Since most of my jailbreak apps are NOT support in newer versions of iOS5+ (aka myProfiles), I don't really care if I lose jailbroken apps, because only 1 or 2 were paid apps.

I see multiple methods to update to iOS 6 (not jailbroken). What is the correct and safest method?

I did a backup of my phone via iTunes and downloaded the newest version of iTunes and the iOS 6 software.

Thanks in advance.

i can't give concrete answers as i'm not knowledgable. I can tell you what i did and what happened.

4s jailbroken.

I updated through itunes.
it downloaded then tried to update. i got an error. it told me to restore.
my iphone was stuck at a screen with a circle and a plug.
I rebooted, still stopped at that screen. When i plugged into itunes it still said restore.
I restored.
it restored (possibly installed ios at this time but not positive at some point it happened)
asked me to then restore a back up. I did that.
rebooted and all my media was gone (music, video, ringtones, anything photos not in camera roll folder, all ibooks). (though i could see that in itunes capacity bar earlier)
Then it had to resync all my apps.
most of my settings still remain.

it took over two hours to do this total and it didn't save my media. just make sure you don't have to be anywhere if it doesn't go smoothly. I don't know if my experience is typical or an anomaly i just know it happened when i did it. good luck.

total it took over two hours

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

Turn phone off then hold home button while plugging it into computer then open iTunes and press restore phone will be in recovery mode