Government Alerts are cool!
I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but if you go into Settings>Notifications, and then scroll to the bottom, you will see a section called Government Alerts. In that section, there are AMBER Alerts and Emergency Alerts. Both are turned ON by default.
Well, tonite in my area we had some really severe thunderstorms come screaming by. And just before one of those storms hit, I heard the weirdest noise from my iPhone 4S - kind of a hybrid of an electronic scream and klaxon like you hear on TV or radio with an Weather emergency or the like. When I got to my phone, on the lock screen was a message stating: "A flood watch has been issued in this area. Please check local media for details -NS"
Apparently this service also uses GPS, and NS obviously stands for National Service, or in this case, National Weather Service. Kinda of cool, huh.
These alerts are for weather alerts, disasters, terrorist attacks, etc. I think it a very good service. What do you guys think?
Oh, and it is free.
- 09-18-2012, 07:06 PM #2
- 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM #3
- 09-18-2012, 07:17 PM #4
- 09-18-2012, 07:45 PM #5
- 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM #6
- 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM #7
- 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM #8
- 09-18-2012, 07:59 PM #9
Let's see...the government can track us via the GPS on our phones, which towers are phones bounce signals off of, test messages WE send out, and stuff like that....but I fail to see how they can track us via a text message that is sent to an anonymous random phone number that changes every 2 minutes or so and is attached to a pool of more than 70 million cell phone numbers.
Oh, and before I forget, if there is some kind of national disaster or attack, your phone will apparently get those warnings whether you have it turned on or not, according to the FCC.
- 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM #11
- 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM #12 iPhone 5 (Black.32GB.AT&T) iPad Mini (Black.32GB.WiFi) iPad (3Gen.Black.64GB.AT&T) MacBook Pro (15" 2012.Retina Display.i7) iMac (21.5" 2011.i5) AppleTV (3Gen)
- 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM #13iPhone Intermediate
- 448 Posts
- iOS Version
The government can already track us without consent. Might as well make it easer for them, you know, to save them spending all that taxpayer money.- iPhone 5; Black & Slate, 16GB
- iPod touch 4G; 8GB
- iPhone 4; 8GB
- MacBook Pro; 13" (custom, early 2012)
"You'll always be two steps behind me."
- 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM #14 iPhone 5 (Black.32GB.AT&T) iPad Mini (Black.32GB.WiFi) iPad (3Gen.Black.64GB.AT&T) MacBook Pro (15" 2012.Retina Display.i7) iMac (21.5" 2011.i5) AppleTV (3Gen)
- 09-18-2012, 08:39 PM #15
- 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM #16
- 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM #17
- 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM #18 iPhone 5 (Black.32GB.AT&T) iPad Mini (Black.32GB.WiFi) iPad (3Gen.Black.64GB.AT&T) MacBook Pro (15" 2012.Retina Display.i7) iMac (21.5" 2011.i5) AppleTV (3Gen)
- 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM #19
- 09-18-2012, 08:55 PM #20
- 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM #21
- 09-18-2012, 11:02 PM #22
- 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM #23
- 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM #24
- 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM #25