Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Default Re: Government Alerts are cool!

Which iphone do you have because this does not appear in the settings on my iphone 4? Also what carrier ? If this does seem to be a verizon thing then all the more reason for me to leave this POS company sprint and their horrible CDMA network
    What are men without knowledge?
    What is knowledge without wisdom?
    What is wisdom without application?
    iPhone Nanite

These alerts are not cool when you don't know they exist and then your phone scares the crap out of you with a crazy siren sound at 2am when you're in a deep sleep!!!!! Somebody should have warned me...practically had a heart attack!!!!!
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by HMSSheffield View Post
    I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but if you go into Settings>Notifications, and then scroll to the bottom, you will see a section called Government Alerts. In that section, there are AMBER Alerts and Emergency Alerts. Both are turned ON by default.

Well, tonite in my area we had some really severe thunderstorms come screaming by. And just before one of those storms hit, I heard the weirdest noise from my iPhone 4S - kind of a hybrid of an electronic scream and klaxon like you hear on TV or radio with an Weather emergency or the like. When I got to my phone, on the lock screen was a message stating: "A flood watch has been issued in this area. Please check local media for details -NS"

Apparently this service also uses GPS, and NS obviously stands for National Service, or in this case, National Weather Service. Kinda of cool, huh.

These alerts are for weather alerts, disasters, terrorist attacks, etc. I think it a very good service. What do you guys think?

Oh, and it is free.
    This is carrier dependent. AT&T does not participate at this time. They are just the standard emergency alerts that you already see on TV and hear on the radio. But now the government is sending them out to cell carriers as well who in turn issue the alerts to phones in the affected areas.
    iMore Intermediate

Default Government Alerts are cool!

I have VZW and it's set to on, my family has sprint and their alerts are set to on as well. During Hurricane Sandy everyone's phones went off except mine alerting us about the storm rolling through NYC

Global Posts
    11,887 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    This is carrier dependent. AT&T does not participate at this time. They are just the standard emergency alerts that you already see on TV and hear on the radio. But now the government is sending them out to cell carriers as well who in turn issue the alerts to phones in the affected areas.
    I believe it's location dependent on AT&T... they are available in some places, others not.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Nanite

AT&T does support Government Alerts, as does my iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3. I became aware of the service when the KLAXON sounded at 3:10 A.M. this morning to alert me, for the second time, of the Amber Alert and accompanying description of the car being sought. While I can appreciate the usefulness of the service, I would like to be able to receive the message without the accompanying blaring noise during hours when I am unlikely to be able respond in a helpful way. As it happened, my response was to search my phone for the source of the incredibly loud alert, shut it off, and go back to sleep. As to why the widget appears on some phones and not others, I couldn't say, but I suspect the phone has to be at least a 4S running iOS 6.1.3.
    iMore Nanite

Discovered them at 2 PM when phone made a hell of a racket, googled for why it happened and turned them off. No drama, just two little selections and you'll never hear from them again.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by 7Valleys View Post
    Discovered them at 2 PM when phone made a hell of a racket, googled for why it happened and turned them off. No drama, just two little selections and you'll never hear from them again.
    Yeah. I turned mine off. My wife didn’t. Her phone went nuts a couple of nights ago during a thunderstorm... at about 2 AM...grrrrr. Yeah, hers is off now, too.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12