Maps traffic

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
My wife txtd me that she was stopped on the freeway today in horrible traffic. I opened the new maps app to see what it would show. It did not show any traffic slowdown where she was. I also. Opened Google maps (mobile web) and it did show red traffic for her location.
I wonder if it will be more accurate when iOS 6 is released and everyone is seeding the maps.
So far I'm not a huge fan of the new maps app. For traffic, the new maps app only shows red slowdowns whereas google shows red, orange, and green. Also, for me street view was very valuable but I do like the navigation.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i wonder if her system settings are correct:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Traffic > ON

by default, this setting and all around it are set to the ON position but might be worth a shot. it's difficult to believe that Apple is waiting to turn this feature on this late into the game but i guess anything is possible

and of course, as you may know, Google will be releasing a stand alone app for maps eventually

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
And Google is not the sole alternate for Map apps... there are many. Telenav, TomTom, Garmin, Navigon to name popular ones...

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
i wonder if her system settings are correct:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Traffic > ON

by default, this setting and all around it are set to the ON position but might be worth a shot. it's difficult to believe that Apple is waiting to turn this feature on this late into the game but i guess anything is possible

and of course, as you may know, Google will be releasing a stand alone app for maps eventually

She is not running iOS 6 yet. Traffic was showing in red in different areas at the time so apple definitely has it running.

Nickerz

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
And Google is not the sole alternate for Map apps... there are many. Telenav, TomTom, Garmin, Navigon to name popular ones...

True, but Google doesn't cost anything and for being free...I feel it's the best option of the ones you mentioned, imo.

Interesting to hear that the "Apples Maps" data is supplied by TomTom. I thought it would be Garmin since Garmin has an app just for the iPhone and I think TomTom has one just for the Android. ???

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
True, but Google doesn't cost anything and for being free...I feel it's the best option of the ones you mentioned, imo.

Interesting to hear that the "Apples Maps" data is supplied by TomTom. I thought it would be Garmin since Garmin has an app just for the iPhone and I think TomTom has one just for the Android. ???

Google is not free. What you need to come to grasp with is the manner in which you are paying for what Google is "giving away" for "free"... Google is an advertising platform, and data mining operation. They sell you. Your habits on line. You pay for google in ways other than opening your wallet.

TomTom makes an iOS app... Garmin makes apps for more than just iOS as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Google is not free. What you need to come to grasp with is the manner in which you are paying for what Google is "giving away" for "free"... Google is an advertising platform, and data mining operation. They sell you. Your habits on line. You pay for google in ways other than opening your wallet.

You can't get any clearer than that! Well stated, Keith. ;)

Nickerz

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Like the OP stated...the device not showing updated traffic wasn't running iOS6, so maybe this will improve when it is. But for now, selling your "soul" to Google but not "pulling out your wallet" seems to be the choice of many that they can afford.

Sorry to get this off topic OP...that was my fault.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
So just to indulge a little... Nothing in life is free (no not even death). But just to keep things logical, when someone refers to free they are USUALLY speaking in terms of monitary value. For all intents and purposes in this vinversation Apples built in maps are free and so are Googles. The other one have monitary cost. After all you don't think Tomtom, Garmin, Apple and the list goes on, mine data and sell acquired information?

Unforgiven41

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that "if your not paying for a product,you are the product" pretty good quote I thought.

I'm not reliant on the maps app for anything more than typing in a address and then viewing how to get there. For me navigation will be a nice add on. Street view has often had out of date imagery for locations that I have viewed. I can see how it would be helpful for some so I hope that Apple really pushes to get the flyover feature to many city's this year.

For some this change is step back in usability for others it will be the same if not a step forward.

Last edited:

pug29

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Maps for me isn't showing traffic anywhere... I've verified that I have traffic turned on in location services and 'show traffic' is on in the app

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I love my TomTom app.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I saw traffic on one part of my map when I was using the Maps app. Since it is crowd-sourced, I'm assuming that we'll see it actually update when ios6 is actually released on Wed and the servers actually get info from more people

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I love my TomTom app.

Wow! U actually bought it! Is it worth it? Well of course it is. Because u love it! Wow!

As for me i will b looking forward to the google product in the app store. IMO they are the best option at this point in time. Outside of maybe Tom Tom. Which i always thought must be a great app in that way that i think mercedes must be a great ride. But for my $ or lack there of Google has to much of a head start on apple in that dept.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Get INRIX traffic app. It will tell you the actual reason most of the time for the slow down instead of just pretty colors.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I saw traffic on one part of my map when I was using the Maps app. Since it is crowd-sourced, I'm assuming that we'll see it actually update when ios6 is actually released on Wed and the servers actually get info from more people

I don't think it's ONLY crowd sourced. I see too much data right now for it to be crowd sourced (I doubt that many iOS 6 users on the road yet).

BTW, when talking about Garmin, TomTom, etc. you would be comparing the turn by turn navigation, correct? I really like the turn by turn. It's the standard map that isn't too impressive to me. For one thing, the 3D view isn't very complete yet. My neighborhood is rendered flat whereas on Google it is rendered 3D. Another thing is I tend to use street view a lot but that's something Apple maps won't be getting. I wonder how long until the Google Maps app hits the store?

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
i'm running iOS 6 beta and i;m reserving full judgement of the new maps app till iOS6 gets released on sept 19th. so far, i like how the maps look; they're a lot easier to look at now. The turn by turn feature is awesome. however, traffic info has been spotty, it doesn't offer multiple routes when you're doing directions and there's no option yet for directions for walking, biking or public transit.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple's version of maps doesn't have traffic coverage everywhere yet. Google's traffic base is much wider than Apple's newly developed base. They will get to your area eventually. Apple maps is a new product and will take a little time to reach the level of the 8+ years Google has in Apple maps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro