Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Do Not Disturb - an observation

    Been running iOS6 for a couple days now... and have noticed D.n.D is working for me like the only thing I miss about my former Blackberry Tour's 'bedside mode' worked... I use my iPhone in a dock, with the iHome clock app at night... and having D.n.D set up on a clock, there's no more mail notification sounds. Very nice.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  2. #2  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Been running iOS6 for a couple days now... and have noticed D.n.D is working for me like the only thing I miss about my former Blackberry Tour's 'bedside mode' worked... I use my iPhone in a dock, with the iHome clock app at night... and having D.n.D set up on a clock, there's no more mail notification sounds. Very nice.
    Does it also work that way with a charging cable and a night time alarm clock app, too? I haven't tried that... I use it when I'm in meetings and such... but that's it so far.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Does it also work that way with a charging cable and a night time alarm clock app, too? I haven't tried that... I use it when I'm in meetings and such... but that's it so far.
    yeah... I have my phone in a cradle and on a charger with the iHome app running for clock on the nightstand... DnD also works great on iPad, plugged into a charger with AlarmClock HD running.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    Fausty82 (09-14-2012)
  4. #4  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,673 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,050 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    I like that I can just toggle it off whenever I'm with a chick. I used to go through my notification settings and turn off lock screen notifications.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
  5. #5  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,280 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,627 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    LOVE this feature, use it all of time. i wish it were active while the the device were unlocked too
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    Anyone have any crow recipes?

    This is NOT working as I said above. Drat it all to blazes.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  7. #7  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,280 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,627 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Anyone have any crow recipes?

    This is NOT working as I said above. Drat it all to blazes.
    lol, what's the deal yo?
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    lol, what's the deal yo?
    Damn if I know... call it sleeping soundly enough not to hear any email notifications after installing iOS6 until tonite, where I'm now wide awake when I shouldn't be...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  9. #9  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,280 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,627 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Damn if I know... call it sleeping soundly enough not to hear any email notifications after installing iOS6 until tonite, where I'm now wide awake when I shouldn't be...
    ?? is it just email tones that are still coming thru or all tones?
  10. #10  
    CappyGuy's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    33 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    if I know... call it sleeping soundly enough not to hear any email notifications after installing iOS6 until tonite, where I'm now wide awake when I shouldn't be...
    Then you will just have to use night time mode on iOS 6 and you won't get any notifications.
  11. #11  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CappyGuy View Post
    Then you will just have to use night time mode on iOS 6 and you won't get any notifications.
    Yup. DnD works flawlessly if the phone is in sleep mode... not so much otherwise - including the dock/alarm clock app. This is gonna need a tweak.

    BTW, Keith, do you need ketchup with that?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    BTW, Keith, do you need ketchup with that?
    Habanero ketchup.

    Edit to add: hit up and select iPhone or iPad, and drop the hint that they allow an app like alarm clock to run while the DnD is doing what it's supposed to do.
    Last edited by kch50428; 09-15-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  13. #13  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,673 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,050 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    One small quirk I have the DnD is that I'd like the option to toggle lockscreen notifications on/off within the DnD settings itself. So that when I lit the screen no notifications even show. Oh, well.
  14. #14  
    shimojunk's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

    Default

    kch50428 how does DnD compare to myProfiles? I am stuck on ios4 because myProfiles is so handy.

    Are you able to silence alerts for different apps like email, txt msgs, and whatsapp? Or can you only silence all the alerts? Can you setup different DnD profiles?
  15. #15  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,397 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Do Not Disturb - an observation

    hey everyone. sorry to drag up an oldie of a thread - but i have a question. I was thinking about purchasing the alarm app "Rise" but i also use DnD from 10pm - 7am every night.

    Now, from what i'm understanding, 3rd party alarm apps will not alert you if DnD is enable at the alarm time, correct? But what if i have DnD shut off at 6:15am and have my alarm app (Rise) go off at 6:20am. Does anyone, or has anyone done this with success?

    Tia for any feedback
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Do Not Disturb - an observation

    does the app stay on screen while its active? Because if its keeps the screen lit up, DND doesn't do anything.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    ThePinkChameleon (01-16-2013)
  17. #17  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,397 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Do Not Disturb - an observation

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    does the app stay on screen while its active? Because if its keeps the screen lit up, DND doesn't do anything.
    I'm not sure Keith. Although, Wendy just replied to me in another thread that we were discussing this about (iphone 5 home screen) and she did LMK that in Rises' description it DOES work with DnD enabled. So, i'm off to go check that out before i make a purchase I'll post here with an update as well
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
  18. #18  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,397 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Do Not Disturb - an observation

    Ok, I just looked it over. In the description, one of the features specifically says that it DOES work with DnD enable

    heres the link to the app:
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
  19. #19  
    TurboTiger's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,981 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,462 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.2

    Default Re: Do Not Disturb - an observation

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Ok, I just looked it over. In the description, one of the features specifically says that it DOES work with DnD enable

    heres the link to the app:
    Pink,
    Will the clock display throughout the night if you have DnD enabled.
    TIA

    Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
  20. #20  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,397 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Do Not Disturb - an observation

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Pink,
    Will the clock display throughout the night if you have DnD enabled.
    TIA
    Hi TT to answer your question, no. You open the app, turn alarm on & tap your sleep button Your phone will go into sleep mode just as normal, but the Rise alarm app runs in the background so that when you tap on your home button & slide to unlock, you will see the alarm app immediately on screen. If you then tap your home button it will exit you out to your home screen.

    Btw, I tried it out last night for the alarm time this morn, and it is a nice app. The shake to snooze is convienent although I prob won't use it for fear of being half asleep and accidentally dropping my phone.
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    Thanked by:
    TurboTiger (01-17-2013)
  21. #21  
    TurboTiger's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,981 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,462 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.2

    Default Re: Do Not Disturb - an observation

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Hi TT to answer your question, no. You open the app, turn alarm on & tap your sleep button Your phone will go into sleep mode just as normal, but the Rise alarm app runs in the background so that when you tap on your home button & slide to unlock, you will see the alarm app immediately on screen. If you then tap your home button it will exit you out to your home screen.

    Btw, I tried it out last night for the alarm time this morn, and it is a nice app. The shake to snooze is convienent although I prob won't use it for fear of being half asleep and accidentally dropping my phone.
    Ok Pink,
    Tks fo the info.
    Good Luck

    Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
  22. #22  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,397 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Do Not Disturb - an observation

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Ok Pink,
    Tks fo the info.
    Good Luck
    Yvw, and np at all !
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*

Posting Permissions