Ipad as computer replacement?

kadarhussain

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
First of all, sorry for asking this age-old question again, but I need some personal specifics.

I am going to college and current netbook is breaking down ( HP Mini 100-1000, great first pc ) so I need some info on what to do next. I hate Windows and android so I want to go Mac or iDevice. I was considering three things;

1. A Mac Mini, and just hang in there with the HP

2. An iPad, with a potential wireless keyboard

3. A MacBook air, I love the portability!

I know most of you will say iPad but if anyone has experience with two or all, what would you recommend?

Also, first post so be nice!

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, for school get a laptop first. The iPad should be a secondary item especially when you are in school. There might be websites that your professors will ask you to visit that won't be compatible with ios.

For example, in my inorganic class I had to visit a website that showed different point groups for different compounds. The type of website didn't work on my iPad.

I'd suggest the MacBook air out of the options you listed.

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, for school get a laptop first. The iPad should be a secondary item especially when you are in school. There might be websites that your professors will ask you to visit that won't be compatible with ios.

For example, in my inorganic class I had to visit a website that showed different point groups for different compounds. The type of website didn't work on my iPad.

I'd suggest the MacBook air out of the options you listed.

I agree. iPads can't replace a computer in my opinion and schooling needs a computer.

k_kjong

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I was fortunate enough to be able to try both iPad and macbook air for college stuffs, and imho, macbook air is much better for it. There are just some things that cannot be done on an iPad. So I think you should just buy a macbook air.

fredjclaus

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I use an iPad for when I'm on the run. I took went back to college and on my iPad I use Evernote to type school papers on when I'm out and about. That doesn't totally replace my laptop however. Stick with a laptop and an iPad secondary.

Also for school you will want the MacBook pro. The air doesn't have a hard drive and you never know when you will need one.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I use an iPad for when I'm on the run. I took went back to college and on my iPad I use Evernote to type school papers on when I'm out and about. That doesn't totally replace my laptop however. Stick with a laptop and an iPad secondary.

Also for school you will want the MacBook pro. The air doesn't have a hard drive and you never know when you will need one.

The air does indeed have a hard drive. However, it is an SSD (Solid State Drive) instead of a traditional one. All this means is that you're going to get a bit less storage.

Now what the air doesn't have is an optical disc drive (CD/DVD drive/burner)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77