iPhone 3GS gets iOS 6, iPod Touch 3 doesn't

coolguy879

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Turns out the iPhone 3GS gets iOS 6, making this the 4th generation of iOS that the iPhone supports, a record. The iPod Touch 3, however, doesn't get iOS 6. I have an iPod Touch 3 and an iPad 3, so I am getting iOS 6 anyway, but my iPod Touch should. The iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3 are the 3rd generations of their respective iDevce families, so why does the iPhone 3GS get iOS 6 and the iPod Touch 3 not get it? Sound off below.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What devices get iOS updates is usually due to specific hardware requirements. When device hardware no longer supports the OS, that's the end of the road. All the "sounding off below" isn't going to change that. It is what it is... get over it, and move on.

Lucky8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
What devices get iOS updates is usually due to specific hardware requirements. When device hardware no longer supports the OS, that's the end of the road. All the "sounding off below" isn't going to change that. It is what it is... get over it, and move on.

I understand this but my question is why not support ipad 1 as it has same specs as iphone 4, and for the 3gs to get it and not ipad 1 is just strange o_O

jlamb0

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My theory is that it doesn't actually have anything to do with hardware requirements. The iOS 6 that runs on the 3GS will have very few new features and will be there mostly to ensure app compatibility. It would certainly be technically possible to do the same thing for the first generation iPad.

Additionally, I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen iPod touch had the same processor and RAM specs as the 3GS, so if one is capable of running iOS 6, then the other should too.

So what does the 3GS have going for it that the iPod and iPad don't? Apple is still actively selling the 3GS.

It makes sense from a customer service perspective. They are ensuring that new customers who buy a 3GS this year will have app binary compatibility for at least this year and next year. My prediction is this: If Apple stops offering the 3GS as the free-on-contract device after the 2012 iPhone is released, then it will not be upgraded to iOS 7 next year.

But if they keep it around, then you can likely expect it will get a feature-stripped version of iOS 7 next fall.

booksmeller

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Turns out the iPhone 3GS gets iOS 6, making this the 4th generation of iOS that the iPhone supports, a record. The iPod Touch 3, however, doesn't get iOS 6. I have an iPod Touch 3 and an iPad 3, so I am getting iOS 6 anyway, but my iPod Touch should. The iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3 are the 3rd generations of their respective iDevce families, so why does the iPhone 3GS get iOS 6 and the iPod Touch 3 not get it? Sound off below.
is it even wise to upgrade 3GS to IOS 6?
My 2 and a half years old 3GS, runs on 5.1.1 is. As a result, I believe, gets warm to the degree of LAVA and is super slow. Would one really recommend to upgrade to ios 6?!

jlamb0

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not even upgrading my iPhone 4. As far as I know, there are zero system features that I would get, and you know it's going to be slower, and I hate the new colored menubar to boot. Too much cost for zero benefit.

You say you have iOS 5 on your 3GS. Did the 3GS get all the same features the iPhone 4 did?