iOS 6 betas without DUID question

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
i saw a link on youtube with instructions on how to load iOS 6 beta 3 without needing a dev account. i know someone who followed the instructions, and it did indeed work properly, not asking for activation or ID number. now some people are stating in the comments on the youtube link that you will be able to update OTA to either the next beta or iOS6 without issue when the time comes. i cant see that being true since i thought that each update requested inputting the ID to activate. can anyone comfirm this or not? ive never used the iOS betas, so i dont know what their update procedure is.

and since this isnt selling a dev spot, can this even be asked here?

reahn

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
i saw a link on youtube with instructions on how to load iOS 6 beta 3 without needing a dev account. i know someone who followed the instructions, and it did indeed work properly, not asking for activation or ID number. now some people are stating in the comments on the youtube link that you will be able to update OTA to either the next beta or iOS6 without issue when the time comes. i cant see that being true since i thought that each update requested inputting the ID to activate. can anyone comfirm this or not? ive never used the iOS betas, so i dont know what their update procedure is.

If you dont know how to install it. Arent very experienced, or dont have a udid with a dev or a dev account. I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
If you dont know how to install it. Arent very experienced, or dont have a udid with a dev or a dev account. I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

that wasnt the question. i said it was already installed. i was curious if now that its installed, would OTA updates to the next beta or the final OS6 be allowed or would it lock up and request the UDID upon update.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
that wasnt the question. i said it was already installed. i was curious if now that its installed, would OTA updates to the next beta or the final OS6 be allowed or would it lock up and request the UDID upon update.

The answer is "maybe". The official answer from Apple is that you need your UDID registered with a valid developer account to get/load/use the beta software. I've seen the reports that you speak of... but in reality, it's a crapshoot. And the deck is stacked against you... sooner or later it's probably going to stop working, leaving you with a bricked device. Not sure how it's worked this far... and the hopeful amongst us will say that since it's worked so far, it probably will continue to work... don't bet on it. I would not do it... but I guess we don't know until we try it.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
true, well i have the 5.1.1 ipsw file so i would be able to manually restore at anytime, should i decide to take the risk. i back up to icloud, so i wouldnt be losing much. just was curious about the updating process.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site

I did this for the Beta 2, and the Beta 3 was available OTA through the normal Settings > General > Software Update; I was able to update with no trouble.

No, it's not selling, it's simple hacking. Since they have a section for jailbreaking(hacking), I can't see a problem with this.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I did this for the Beta 2, and the Beta 3 was available OTA through the normal Settings > General > Software Update; I was able to update with no trouble.

No, it's not selling, it's simple hacking. Since they have a section for jailbreaking(hacking), I can't see a problem with this.

perfect, but what do you think will happen when the official iOS comes out? and you werent prompted for a dev ID when you updated OTA?

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
perfect, but what do you think will happen when the official iOS comes out? and you werent prompted for a dev ID when you updated OTA?

I'm not sure, but if anything does go wrong, I'll be able to restore it.
And no, it didn't ask for my UDID when I updated to Beta 3.

EDIT: This is important. If you want to restore the device through iTunes, you'll have to use the option-click when you click on 'Restore' and manually select 5.1.1..

Last edited:

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, but if anything does go wrong, I'll be able to restore it.
And no, it didn't ask for my UDID when I updated to Beta 3.

EDIT: This is important. If you want to restore the device through iTunes, you'll have to use the option-click when you click on 'Restore' and manually select 5.1.1..

yea ive seen that, and i have both ipsw files. word is you will be able to keep updating to every next beta ios 6 until official 6 is released. just wanted to know if this was indeed true.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
So far, it is true. And if Apple doesn't patch this expliot, then this should keep working for all the betas until 6s' official release.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay. Keep me posted. So far, you're the only other person here that I know of that's used this method.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro