iOS finally starting to become rival to PS3 and XBOX

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Its crazy. Just a while ago, I was saying that oh, iDevices could never be like a video game console, but it's happening. I played Dreamscape, and let me tell you, this is like an open world kind of adventure game with graphics similar to PS3. It's crazy.

This is what I was looking for and I think more developers will continue to switch from traditional consoles to iOS.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Can I use a controller for an FPS? Nope. Touch screen controls are garbage for that genre, so the Xbox and ps3 aren't threatened. A vita, 3ds or so? Yes. There is no full scale arkham city for iOS, no uncharted 3 and most certainly no iOS game can touch anything cryengine 3 can produce.I think a lack of controller is the absolute biggest problem all phone games have.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why people bag on touchscreen controls. What were you expecting? I actually don't have a problem with touchscreen controls, it's. It's not like you would be hooking up a controller to your phone.

The graphics are getting better. And especially with the retina, all you need is the A6 chip and then you've got an engine that rivals the PS3. The main point is that studio games are starting to come to the iPhone. And I really want to see a huge influx of these console-like games going to the iPhone. So we're playing real games instead of phone games.

If the PSVita can do it, why not iPhone? The Vita already looks and acts like an iPhone.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Because the vita has hard controls. As for how to connect, they can always use Bluetooth for a controller or make a controller that the iPhone can dock into. On a tiny 3.5" screen, seeing your entire environment can be key in certain scenarios....say a call of duty type game. There is no question that iOS hardware is getting very powerful, but it's not as if the ps3 is 2 years old. It came out in 06 and hasn't changed the way it works. I would hope that iOS hardware starts gaining on 6 year old hardware.

I personally can't ever see myself playing a massive game like crysis 3 on a small screen. An iPad would be marginal for me. This is where AirPlay could come into effect. Stream to a tv. But for me a controller is a must. Until then, I don't take hardcore gaming seriously on a tiny phone.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The overthrow is happening now. 2-3 years everyone will be playing socially on iPhones and iPads and consoles will be a thing of the past. Consoles sales are on the decline right now and it's only a matter of time.

rjansen3

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The decline in console sales has nothing to do with "competition" from iOS. It has much more to do with consumers who realize there will be new consoles in 2013. Furthermore, sales of a 7 year old console, like Xbox 360, are bound to fall off. iOS is a candle in the sun compared to the powerhouse that is Xbox 360. iOS games lack the depth, polish, or playability of console games.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
True. But iOS is catching up. The depth is starting to come in. The polish is starting. The playability might just be the most difficult thing, but I quite enjoyed this latest game.

It's amazing for a phone.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Reminds me of the old spiderman game on one of the consoles. Not too bad. One of the games I really like right now is Virtua Tennis.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
True. But iOS is catching up. The depth is starting to come in. The polish is starting. The playability might just be the most difficult thing, but I quite enjoyed this latest game.

It's amazing for a phone.

You're right, for a phone it looks good. I looked at a video review of the spiderman game being played on a iPad and it doesn't look console quality. Not even close.

unnamed-1.jpg

Infinity blade 2, IMO, is the best looking iOS game period and is the closest to console graphics. However up close you see the lack of trilinear filtering and bumpmapping on the stones beneath the feet. The background mountains and forest are weak and have little texture.

infinity%20blade%202.jpg

However they (especially Spiderman) don't come too close to Crysis 2, which uses one of the best engines available today. It's also a 3 year old engine. So the best looking iOS game is getting close to a 3 year old engine? Not even close. No phone/tablet can make this:

Crysis2-screen3.jpg

The screenshot is static, but look at the volumetric fog that is active in the background and the fire. Phone GPUs haven't gotten that advanced yet. They can't do fast enough trilinear filtering with 4X or better FSAA or even MSAA running at the same time. There are a lot of textures at play here and that's the issue with phones/tablets. They don't have the video RAM capacity nor the pure pixel pumping output. I believe that iOS hardware uses a powerVR derivative to make the graphics. It "cheats" by only drawing what you see, compared to consoles with draw everything and then apply filters, textures and other related items. It does work well for it's purposes in the constrained space of a mobile device. But they simply don't have the raw power and memory space to do what a top console graphics engine can do.

In the end you can argue all you want about graphic prowess, but to me the biggest problem is still the controls. Touch screen controls are terrible for serious gaming, especially on a tiny 3.5" screen. Even a rumored 4" 16x9 screen in the new iPhone won't help much. In some games you have to see the entire screen without your fingers getting in the way. It's getting better, but it's not where it should be. Then imagine how cryEngine 4 or Unreal engine 4 will look and how much father back it puts iOS hardware.

Last edited:

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why people bag on touchscreen controls. What were you expecting?

If people keep comparing them to consoles then the standard will be the control you get on a console. And it's simply not close to that. Not to a tactile controle with 12 buttons and a directional pad and an analog stick. You're not gonna get it the level of speed or control. The gameplay simply isn't as fast. hypothetically, If you could do it, imagine you a COD game with ios controls like most shooters. like Nova or modern combat. Then drop that guy into a multiplayer game with guys on a 360 or PC and they simply wouldn't be able to hang because the controls simply aren't that fast. And i doubt you'd be able to aim fast enough with precision.

I've never understood the argument that it's one or the other. IOS or console. I'm simply not looking for the same thing anyways from a console that i am from most ios games. I mean with a console i want 1080 output fast controls, huge stories and worlds. but it's not one of the other.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The goal isn't to replicate a console experience. The PSP already does that. So, making the screen bigger, adding controllers, those aren't really priorities for me.

The priorities are graphics. And in depth gaming. Casual gaming works on the iPhone. But I'd like to see a day when a video game comes out, and it's released on XBOX, PS3, PC, and iOS.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
The goal isn't to replicate a console experience. The PSP already does that. So, making the screen bigger, adding controllers, those aren't really priorities for me.

The priorities are graphics. And in depth gaming. Casual gaming works on the iPhone. But I'd like to see a day when a video game comes out, and it's released on XBOX, PS3, PC, and iOS.

When iOS grows a pair big enough to allow that, it will happen. But as the PC and future consoles get more advanced, iOS simply cannot catch up. There isn't enough space to put that kind of power inside of a small mobile device. On a tablet, there could be, but not on a phone. iOS does grow faster because consoles rely on the same hardware for 6-8 years before a change, but remember that iOS is starting to catch up to 6 year old console hardware.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not really about catching up, it's about having to decide between whether you really need a console system when iOS truly rivals it. It's not going to be the same experience of course. It's really about catching up to the PSP.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It's not really about catching up, it's about having to decide between whether you really need a console system when iOS truly rivals it. It's not going to be the same experience of course. It's really about catching up to the PSP.

Click to view quoted video

Truly rivals it how? Graphics? Nope. Controls? Nope. Sound? Nope. Network stack? Nope. Massive open sandbox abilities? Nope. Perhaps you mean gameplay itself. I do agree that they are getting better in gameplay ability itself, but I personally look at more than that. Of course now you say that it needs to catch up to the PSP (which is 8 years old), not the consoles themselves.