I'm NOT Upgrading to iOS6 at all

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I recently heard that there was No public transport in Maps from iOS6? Hold up. Stomp with both feet on the brakes to a screeching halt! Stop everything.

That's a definite deal breaker.

And an excuse not to update to iOS6 at all. I use Maps all the time.

I sure hope Apple Maps isnt half assed. I need bus routes, walking, search tool, satelitte, all that. What is this claymation of empty white buildings on Apple Maps? If it isn't better than Google Maps, I don't want it. At least an option.

What's stopping you from updating to iOS 6?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
then you better save your shsh blobs and learn how to restore to your current firmware or you WILL be going to iOS 6 or better eventually

lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Was that a hissy fit? :)

People sure have their knickers in a knot over what they see (or what they DON'T see) in the first beta release of iOS 6... I'm thinking we'll all get there eventually... and the first beta release is, well, the FIRST, BETA release... a lot can and will change between now and release date...

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Ok, transit routes I understand, but walking routes... problems reading a map the old fashioned way?? I'm sure you're not walking 20 miles or anything. Enter an address and create own route...

My My, now I can truly say we have become too reliant on technology if we have to follow a blue line to get where we are going... smfh. lmao :p

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Why do people gotta bash on the Guy he's worried he's gonna lose features no need to bash the Guy I would be worried to if something I used dailey wasn't mentioned I'm sure apple will make it right but people don't like change when there used to something that works good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
That's right, Apple is handing off transit maps (which I find useless because I drive everywhere) to 3rd party developers to integrate into Maps according to Forstall. You can't expect Apple to be better than Google right off the bat. It took Google years to accumulate their information and there is no way Apple can get that info in one revision.

I use maps every now and then, but the rest of the time it's just for fun. I tend to know where I am going.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
My My, now I can truly say we have become too reliant on technology if we have to follow a blue line to get where we are going...

So true. I was down in the valley this past weekend and as an experiment I took out a regular paper map and took the young kids (15 and under...but not too young) on a small local trip and asked them to get me to location A on the map. I made sure to choose an area they weren't familiar with forcing them to use the map.

They failed. Terrible.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
That's right, Apple is handing off transit maps (which I find useless because I drive everywhere) to 3rd party developers to integrate into Maps according to Forstall. You can't expect Apple to be better than Google right off the bat. It took Google years to accumulate their information and there is no way Apple can get that info in one revision.

I'm tired of these Apple Beta products.

They shouldn't release it or at least give us the option of using the superior one. "Hey, I'm Apple! Let's switch out Google Maps with our own half assed polyclay cities with no landmark information or directional assistance other than for use on road trips. We spent no time on transit, oh, no. We just have Flyover. Which has no use case whatsoever." That's just stupid! Dumb dumb dumb.

It used to be: Siri, take me here. Bam. Done. Options. Bus in 15 minutes. A walk will last this long. I can stop by so and so business in the area. Badda bing badda boom.

If you're in a car driving around a neighborhood you've lived in for years, then you shouldn't be using Maps. But for travelers, iOS5.

It's like with QuickTime and Safari on laptops. No one uses that ish.

Last edited:

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
So true. I was down in the valley this past weekend and as an experiment I took out a regular paper map and took the young kids (15 and under...but not too young) on a small local trip and asked them to get me to location A on the map. I made sure to choose an area they weren't familiar with forcing them to use the map.

They failed. Terrible.

Obviously they were not a group of Boyscouts...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm tired of these Apple Beta products.

They shouldn't release it or at least give us the option of using the superior one. "Hey, I'm Apple! Let's switch out Google Maps with our own half assed polyclay cities with no landmark information or directional assistance other than for use on road trips. We spent no time on transit, oh, no. We just have Flyover. Which has no use case whatsoever." That's just stupid! Dumb dumb dumb.

It used to be: Siri, take me here. Bam. Done. Options. Bus in 15 minutes. A walk will last this long. I can stop by so and so business in the area. Badda bing badda boom.

If you're in a car driving around a neighborhood you've lived in for years, then you shouldn't be using Maps. But for travelers, iOS5.

It's like with QuickTime and Safari on laptops. No one uses that ish.

Well, funny you should say that. The maps, which seem to have you and a few others whipped into a frenzy, are currently in their first iteration, buried deep within the FIRST BETA release of iOS 6. And that first beta release of iOS 6 is NOT intended for anyone except bona fide iOS developers so that they can begin to get their software ready for the new release that will happen some 3-4 months in the future. This software was never intended to be seen or used by anyone other than an actual iOS application developer, and then only for testing and development purposes. It was NOT intended fo see the light of day outside of that test and development environment.

But now many of the techies within the iOS ecosystem are running the beta without any pretense of developing anything (that's a fact, not an accusation)... and the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth has begun because this feature or that feature is not exactly as they expected it to be.

If you have and want to run the betas, fine, knock yourselves out. Admittedly I did with iOS 5, and probably would be for iOS 6 had my developer buddy not dropped out of the developer program. But c'mon, people, accept it for what it is... the FIRST BETA of a mobile operating system that won't be released to the public for several more months. Use it. Test it. Enjoy it. Report on it. But accept the fact that it will change for the better, and that additional features WILL appear between now and release time.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I find it fascinating to see people react to iOS 6 beta 1.

The Change Process is clearly at work when it comes to the Maps application.

I know a company working on Walking Maps for a particular tourist city who are thrilled that the new Maps application will not be giving Google total dominance over the walking map application space in iOS moving forward.

We have not talked specifically about iOS 6 integration for his app, but having seen his early prototype, I cannot wait to visit this particular city and use his app to find my way around.

Time will tell if this was a good move on Apple's part, but they have a very good track record with only a few poor decisions to build on.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, funny you should say that. The maps, which seem to have you and a few others whipped into a frenzy, are currently in their first iteration, buried deep within the FIRST BETA release of iOS 6. And that first beta release of iOS 6 is NOT intended for anyone except bona fide iOS developers so that they can begin to get their software ready for the new release that will happen some 3-4 months in the future. This software was never intended to be seen or used by anyone other than an actual iOS application developer, and then only for testing and development purposes. It was NOT intended fo see the light of day outside of that test and development environment.

But now many of the techies within the iOS ecosystem are running the beta without any pretense of developing anything (that's a fact, not an accusation)... and the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth has begun because this feature or that feature is not exactly as they expected it to be.

If you have and want to run the betas, fine, knock yourselves out. Admittedly I did with iOS 5, and probably would be for iOS 6 had my developer buddy not dropped out of the developer program. But c'mon, people, accept it for what it is... the FIRST BETA of a mobile operating system that won't be released to the public for several more months. Use it. Test it. Enjoy it. Report on it. But accept the fact that it will change for the better, and that additional features WILL appear between now and release time.

This is unwarranted. This has nothing to do with beta. This has everything to do with Apple switching a superior product with an inferior product in the name of pride and money.

It's not about beta, if you think that Apple Maps will magically get to Google Maps status in just a few months. I must tell you I do not believe it. They should not release Apple Maps if the development of Apple Maps is not complete with the end product being greater than or equal to the previous Google Maps.

But when it is about beta, like with Siri, I'd like to say that Apple is garnering a reputation of publicly releasing unfinished products and whenever something isn't right, they just say, "Beta".

Apple is starting to mess up.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is unwarranted. This has nothing to do with beta. This has everything to do with Apple switching a superior product with an inferior product in the name of pride and money.

It's not about beta, if you think that Apple Maps will magically get to Google Maps status in just a few months. I must tell you I do not believe it. They should not release Apple Maps if the development of Apple Maps is not complete with the end product being greater than or equal to the previous Google Maps.

But when it is about beta, like with Siri, I'd like to say that Apple is garnering a reputation of publicly releasing unfinished products and whenever something isn't right, they just say, "Beta".

Apple is starting to mess up.

It has everything to do with beta. You are looking at the first iteration of a product and expecting to see a finished product. I agree that you may not see the 100% finished product even at launch time... it's an evolution. And NONE of us know what the finished product will be. And that was my point.

As others have stated, Apple does most of their feature design in an evolutionary way. Remember that you couldn't even cut and paste until iOS 4... Siri is the only product that I recall being released to the public as a beta. And over time, it's getting better...

Google, the Android people, are notorious for beta software. Even the vaunted gmail product was beta until fairly recently... it was something like 3-4 years in public beta... so Apple isn't alone here.

But wait and see what you get before getting so worked up about it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The OP makes a lot of good points on these forums. I enjoy his posts as it gets good discussions going.

With that said, this is ios 6 BETA 1. BETA FREAKING ONE. Relax, dude. Lol. It's been out for about 72 hours.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
It's actually a DEVELOPER BETA 1 and not intended for anyone outside that community.

It's for us to test API calls and compatibility.

If a feature has not been specifically announced by Apple, you can make NO assumptions about it being included or not from this beta.

Beta 4 or 5, yes we are getting closer, though still there will be some surprises.

Beta 1? Not a chance. Anything can and will change, be enhanced or removed.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This, now, is advertised on Apple's own website though. I cannot be complacent about it as these are main features getting left out. And thats a red flag.

Does iOS6 being beta mean that the Apple Maps app will be a beta? Rene actually made a post on not commenting about beta, to wait until the Fall, but by then it will be too late. The point here is that they're TAKING AWAY Google Maps. Apple Maps will not be better, it's too much in its infancy.

Do you not agree that they should not take away Maps from us for no reason when their product is not ready?

There's no way it's going to be better than Google Maps come Fall, and they haven't updated the YouTube app at all, you can't edit or delete videos from it or anything, they don't want to because it's Google.

Idk, Maybe they'll change their minds when people begin to start driving off cliffs. I mean, is Siri really safe to use when driving? iPhone users are gonna be LOST.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
You'll be lost. This iPhone user knows their way around. I don't get lost. I travel and don't get lost either and still don't use the maps feature. Sounds like a personal problem for you and all you do is seem to complain. Perhaps Apple should consult you for everything first.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You'll be lost. This iPhone user knows their way around. I don't get lost. I travel and don't get lost either and still don't use the maps feature. Sounds like a personal problem for you and all you do is seem to complain. Perhaps Apple should consult you for everything first.

I liked everything about iOS6 until I heard about this. Everything looked good. It's not really about getting lost, but planning out your travel. I don't have time to consult different cities bus systems by going to their website and writing it down.

To say that you wouldn't get lost if someone dropped you from say Greenville, South Carolina to Boise, Idaho you lose credibility.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You want transit mapping? There are apps for that... RIGHT NOW. Go to the app store and find one. Your every need is not meant for Apple to fill with their iOS. So you're not satisfied with that... we get it. Now get over it. smh...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro