no public transit in maps?!

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm visually impaired. I can't drive and I rely on apples maps and public transit for mobility.

Finding out that apple is removing direct support for public transit is a big deal to me.

I'm sure its a big deal to many that walk or use public transit.

Now I know you can use third parties. Apple even said as much at the WWDC.

But third party maps aren't integrated like apples map is. For example, when you tap an address, its apples map that loads. When you ask Siri for directions, its apples map that loads.

I'm hoping apple will reconsider and keep direct support for public transit in its map. To that end I've created a petition that asks apple to not remove its direct support for public transit and walking from its maps.

If you agree with me that it sucks that apple is taking off direct support for public transit in their maps app, sign this petition and share it with other people on your facebook, google+ twitter, emails, etc.

Thanks! Here's the link. I've edited dozens of times and it keeps adding weird stuff to the link. you're just gonna have to figure whats actually the link, select, and copy and paste into your browser.

select from the http right after the = sign up to the number ending in 7 right before the [SignOn.org thing.

SignOn.org - Don't take public transit off the iphone

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've not seen anywhere definitive proof that what you say is true. The transit maps may or may not be in this initial, developer beta release - I've heard reports both ways... but with all the other accessibility features mentioned in the keynote - I can't see transit maps not being in the final iteration of iOS6.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
watch the WWDC. they say it. we're gona leave transit to third parties becsuse we think the developers will be better at this.

but if you don't want to watch that whole 2 hour video, I did a quick google.

here's a news article about it. just sort through whatever in the heck iMores automatic adding code thing and copy and paste the link t your browser. I'm not typing all the Apple's iOS 6 Maps application screws pedestrians and mass transit users - National Green Transportation | Examiner.com

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I watched the WWDC... OK - so Apple is not baking transit info into Maps... I may be in the minority of the minority here - I don't everything baked into the iOS. There are apps for that. They are making apps highly accessible via the Maps app for those that want transit maps.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I watched the WWDC... OK - so Apple is not baking transit info into Maps... I may be in the minority of the minority here - I don't everything baked into the iOS. There are apps for that. They are making apps highly accessible via the Maps app for those that want transit maps.

I hope enough agree with me and sign my petition. I'm not after apple. I like apple. otherwise I'd just switch to android. I just want apple to reconsider this move. if enough agree and sign my petition I'm hoping against hope that apple will change its mind.

kind of like Netflix did with quickster. I love my netflix too and am so glad they didn't go through with that upon public outcry.

As a person who can't drive, I use maps as a transit app, and I like how its integrated with things like contacts, Siri, and I can touch an adress, and it loads map, touch bus and it gives me directions.

apples current plans is a downgrade to me. yeah its got turn by turn? I don't drive. that is useless to me. having a full on transit map that is now just a random collection of third party apps that map will launch is going to piss off alot of people who use it for that.

I think this could cost apple alot of customers. its even got me thinking of switching to android. and I like apple. I never saw the day I'd even think about switching platforms. I still might not but this may well be what makes me switch. I guess it will depend on if apple listens or if they don't, how much of a hassle this will be for me, vs the hassle of trying to switch to android.

I do hope folks here who agree with me that apple should fully integrate pubic transit with their maps, will sign my petition. if enough do, maybe Tim Cook will listen.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I'd prefer like to see transit companies integrate their apps with apple maps. Apple is not invested in public transportation. These companies are. I think they would come up with a better implementation than apple ever could.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I'd prefer like to see transit companies integrate their apps with apple maps. Apple is not invested in public transportation. These companies are. I think they would come up with a better implementation than apple ever could.

They are making an API available to developers to do just that. I got that as a take-away from watching the WWDC. That's how it should work.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
from what I've read, maps will upon tapping public transit, close maps and open the public transit app, and then tell that app the from and to spots.

its clunky and not apple.

part of why I like apple is they are smooth and slick and everything seems to just work.

this however isn't so pretty.

honestly I think apple being pissed at google for starting android, has dropped their maps, even though from my experience, nobody has public transit like google does.

what apple is doing is hoping some third parties other than google will step up and d the job. yeah good luck with that. LOL

goggle has better data on public transit, (in part because to get that data took time and lots of money and data from hundreds of cities. Googles maps work better and they show even the bus stops.

3d and fly over are gimmicks to me. turn by turn is useless to me. (note the key words "to me" as I freely acknowledge that to other buyers these may be musts)

remember I am visually impaired. I can't see well enough to read street signs. but with google maps I can see on my screen the blue dot approaching my stop.

for the most part I liked what I saw in iOS 6 there's a few more things I'd have liked but none are that big a deal. their current plans for map though, have me disappointed.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
have y'all seen Rene's article about public transit? if you think apple should include direct support for pubic transit, sign my petition.

I think those of us who rely on this feature are now collateral damage in apples war on google.

problem is I think this will backfire on apple. I hope they wise up before this fall.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Google is gonna make an ass out of Apple when they deliver turn by turn and possibly some 3D maps to the iPad 1, 3GS, and 4.

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

You see, this IS the issue. It already works. Apple is breaking what already works and giving us a crap replacement that doesn't do the job, with some pretty jewels on it.