Step it up, Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishannah

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I hope that more improvements are on the way. I would like to see the ability to group SMS. I tried the "Group SMS" app, but all the recipients have to download the message. This seems like it would be a simple feature to add to IOS.
You can just send a SMS and add in multiple contacts.

Or at least wait before making judgements. I won't see iOS 6 until i'm holding an iphone 5 in hand. But i'm pretty sure we'll see record sales. LTE alone will be a big improvement.
Might even be an iPhone 6, Apple have never said anything about a 5. THink about it:
iPhone - First iPhone
iPhone 3G - Named because of the new 3G feature
iPhone 3GS - Named 3GS because it only slightly improved on the 3G and the S was for Speed.
iPhone 4 - This was the 4 because it the 4th Generation of the iPhone.
iPhone 4S - This was named the 4S because again, it was only a minor upgrade, the main ones being Retina Display and Siri.

So either the next one will be iPhone 5 for some odd reason, being 5 is an irrelevant number. Or they will produce an iPhone 6 seeing as it is the 6th Generation iPhone and it will even match up with iOS 6.

The Devs whining about things are reasons why we won't get 1280x720, and Android will just pass iOS in resolution. It's their job to adapt, not ours. They're paid to do that for a living.

A 4.5 inch iPhone would be killer but it won't happen because developers would have a cow. :(
A 4.5 inch iPhone would be stupid, the 3.5" is fine. And apple do NOT like fragmentation which is what Android developers hate. *
And why would it be 1280x720? This doesn't follow any sort of scale ratio, so the developers(inc me) would have a right to be annoyed because it doesn't mean scaling up their images like the Retina display, It would mean every layout and image would need to be changed. Because changing the aspect ratio of the screen would mean all the current apps would not display correctly, and therefore they would need to alter every UI to match and add new images.
Also, if they did do it, and developers did somehow alter every app to fit the new resolution, the size of the downloads would be huge! There is already 4 different versions of an app in its binary (iPhone, iPhone Retina, iPad, iPad Retina)

Plus, that being said. There is no need to change the resolution as your retinas cannot pick out the individual pixels on the Retina display. Adding more would be physically pointless as you will definitely not notice the difference. It would be pointless manufacturing cost, waste of power, and so much more work for developers.

So stop saying your rubbish ideas, Apple has things under control.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 release date: Pre-orders hit 9m, beating iPhone 4s' 4m | Mail Online

And this doesn't even include the U.S.
Edit: it may include the U.S., not really clear, but still...

Disclaimer:
I don't know the actual dates, I don't feel like looking them up, and I don't have to, because someone here likely already knows. ;)

Not sure if that's a fair comparison.

iPhone pre-orders last a week or two.
S3 feels like its been on pre-order for 2 months.

Pappy, you probably already know this but I'll say it anyway.
As long as you use the platform that suits you best overall,
overlook what you wish it had, and enjoy what it does have.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I was a bit harsh in my first post on this thread but it seems that people are always complaining. The first thing that you should always know is that Apple will never drop there big"AND ONE MORE THING" this far ahead of the release of the phone. Most bloggers and people who generally have sources that are right every now and then believe that there are features that they will save for the next event or the entire launch event would just be them showing the phone and saying "here it is! Good night!" They have to keep the big things under wraps so that they actually have something to announce with the actual phone. Be patient. We have no idea what maps will be like when it comes. From what I'm hearing there are awesome apps that offer the public transportation information that you're looking for. You might actually find something that you like more in looks and performance than Google maps. That app was the weakest link in the entire device to some people and I am one of those people. Apple went out on a limb and I think that the app will be beautiful. I don't think that when it launches that there will be clay looking buildings. The best is yet to come. Relax and watch the show.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
A 4.5 inch iPhone would be stupid, the 3.5" is fine. And apple do NOT like fragmentation which is what Android developers hate.

While I agree that 4.5 is too much, 3.5 isn't fine. If the next phone isn't a 4" screen I'm likely not getting it.

I won't complain about 4.5 but that's a smidgen too big. I really miss the 4" screen on my SGS. Even the 3.7 on my Lumia 710 makes a difference.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Samsung reports wholesale orders as sales. Apple only reports end user sales.

Yes, Samsung's "pre-orders" are orders from the retail channel (Verizon, AT&T, Best Buy, etc.). Apple does not take such orders before a new product launch because the numbers would be too high to fulfill in any reasonable time frame. This is why you see huge lines worldwide for the iPhone 4S launch and not for the S3. It's why Apple could announce that 3 million people got their hands on an iPhone 4S in the first 3 days. How many people do you think own a S3 today, 18 days after launch? A million? I doubt it.

Next month Apple will report sales numbers that will be in the 10 million iPhone per month range. They averaged 12 million for the first 6 months after the 4S launch. So Apple is probably selling more iPhone 4Ses today than Samsung is S3s. One is nearly 8 months old, the other barely 2 weeks old.

Samsung does not report smartphone sales numbers. My guess is they might sell those 9 million pre-ordered S3s in one quarter. That's ~3 million/month. Add in all the other smartphones they sell and they might double that to 6 million/month. Convert units to dollars and the scales tip even further on Apple's side.

All this data is important mostly to investors. People buying the phones could care less.

Now to go back to the original post: "Step it up, Apple!"

All the companies involved with smartphones (Apple, Google, Samsung, etc.) have their own priorities in product development. The iPhone is behind in voice turn-by-turn directions. Android devices (the very high end models) are only just now catching up in UI fluidity & responsiveness. iPhone 4 & 4S users will get iOS 6 as soon as it's launched. Less than 10% of Android users have updated to ICS seven months after it launched.

Pick and choose which bundle of compromises you prefer. Each product offers the best effort of a company and platform at any given point in time. You can wish for more, but you can only choose from what is available at the time you choose to buy.

What Apple presented at WWDC needs to be looked at in a much broader scope than a single set of features. The two big-picture items presented these past two years are Siri and iCloud. Siri is still beta and iCloud is still teething. You could characterize any improvements in either as "incremental", but the concepts behind each is truly revolutionary.

Try to imagine how these two will work in 5 yrs. Siri will be how most people interact with their iOS devices most of the time. Touchscreens will still be around, but why bother with those if you can simply use your voice?

iCloud will eventually mean that any connected Apple device (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Mac, iWatch, iGlasses, iHelmet, etc.) will allow access to all of your content and data. Passbook will eventually hold all the contents of your current physical wallet or purse.

This is the stuff of sci-fi movies. No one will remember or care that the iPhone was 2 yrs. behind in getting turn-by-turn directions. Does anyone remember that Android Voice commands were available over a year before Siri?

So gripe all you want that the iPhone doesn't have this or that. In a few months iOS 6 will arrive and address some of those complaints. And each subsequent 6.x update will take care of a few more until WWDC2013 where Apple will announce yet more incremental upgrades. But add all those up and by the time the iPhone 4S is two years old, it will be significantly more capable than the day you bought it. Will you be able to say the same for an S3 or One X?

Last edited:

Fraydog

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
A 4.5 inch iPhone would be stupid, the 3.5" is fine. And apple do NOT like fragmentation which is what Android developers hate. *
And why would it be 1280x720? This doesn't follow any sort of scale ratio, so the developers(inc me) would have a right to be annoyed because it doesn't mean scaling up their images like the Retina display, It would mean every layout and image would need to be changed. Because changing the aspect ratio of the screen would mean all the current apps would not display correctly, and therefore they would need to alter every UI to match and add new images.
Also, if they did do it, and developers did somehow alter every app to fit the new resolution, the size of the downloads would be huge! There is already 4 different versions of an app in its binary (iPhone, iPhone Retina, iPad, iPad Retina)

Plus, that being said. There is no need to change the resolution as your retinas cannot pick out the individual pixels on the Retina display. Adding more would be physically pointless as you will definitely not notice the difference. It would be pointless manufacturing cost, waste of power, and so much more work for developers.

So stop saying your rubbish ideas, Apple has things under control.

Resolution independence has been preached for almost two years inside the very developer sphere for both the Mac and iOS. Also, lots of iOS developers who are already developing for Android already have experience with 720p. Do not dare compare Apple potentially having three different aspect ratios to the fragmented mess that is Android. It's not even close to comparable. You're going to eventually have the same 16 by 9 ratio in any sort of Apple TV box or standalone TV Apple may choose to produce in the future. Switching the iPhone to that resolution would be a nice head up to the TV app era. The iPad can keep the same resolution, mind you, as the purpose of it is a little different than the TV or iPhone.

There's also a reason I stopped at 4.5 inches. That is exactly the size needed to retain 330 ppi like was introduced on the 4 and 4S. At the time, the correct design choices were made on the 4 and 4S. I just sense we're in a different place right now. If Apple chooses to keep the 3.5 inch screen size, they are doing that as a market calculation, not to appease developers. You could make a 4.5 inch screen and have it fit in constraints very slightly larger than the current iPhone. That's the absolute limit. A 4.8 or 5.3 inch screen would need a rethink and not be worth the tradeoffs. There's no need to add ppi. On that point, I agree. Utilizing more of the space on the front of the device, however, is fair game. Indeed, the type of thing Jony Ive would do.

I am not sure this shouldn't be another separate product, however. I think the 3.5 isn't something that should be eliminated. What I don't know is how you handle what probably should happen - the elimination of the home button. I am thinking long and hard of the ramifications of this. I however would be game for a phone with no home button that uses the multitasking iPad gestures.

Last edited:

J.m.H

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
If you're so fond of Android, get one. Then go play in the android forums... yeah, it's just a phone... so why are you here, compelled to tell everyone here how their choice of Apple is inferior??? That makes me LOL - the number of people that feel some need to show up here and do nothing but spout off how Apple is crap, and the dairy product flavor of the week is the greatest thing since indoor plumbing... :eek: :confused:

Geeze dude, quit being such a huge jerk and let people chat about what they want to chat about....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711