iOS6 high data usage

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So like a lot of other people here I'm with AT&T on iOS6 on 1 iPhone 5 and 1 iPhone 4S.

I have noticed a drastic increase in data on both phones. My wife used about 300Mb per month as she is usually on WiFi. Last Bill: 1.8Gb. So I looked at my usage last month. I have the unlimited plan and I usually use about 0.7-1.5Gb. Last month AT&T tallied up 6.4Gb. I'm now 5 days into my new billing cycle and I already used 1.6Gb on the iPhone 5. That's a whopping 8GB in just over 1 month. So I thought I'll check my data usage on the actual phone.

Lifetime: 30 days, 20 hours
Sent: 348Mb
Received: 4.4Gb

That is about half of what AT&T is billing me!? I thought I'll switch the the shared plan with 6Gb to get Hotspot and Facetime, however I'll be going well over my limit by week # two. Is AT&T aware of that? Is it the same bug like Verizon had?

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I'm doing the same stuff I has with my 4, yet I'm already into my 4th GB of data this month.

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
So like a lot of other people here I'm with AT&T on iOS6 on 1 iPhone 5 and 1 iPhone 4S.

I have noticed a drastic increase in data on both phones. My wife used about 300Mb per month as she is usually on WiFi. Last Bill: 1.8Gb. So I looked at my usage last month. I have the unlimited plan and I usually use about 0.7-1.5Gb. Last month AT&T tallied up 6.4Gb. I'm now 5 days into my new billing cycle and I already used 1.6Gb on the iPhone 5. That's a whopping 8GB in just over 1 month. So I thought I'll check my data usage on the actual phone.

Lifetime: 30 days, 20 hours
Sent: 348Mb
Received: 4.4Gb

That is about half of what AT&T is billing me!? I thought I'll switch the the shared plan with 6Gb to get Hotspot and Facetime, however I'll be going well over my limit by week # two. Is AT&T aware of that? Is it the same bug like Verizon had?

I would definitely hit up AT&T and see what's going on with your data. That can't be right. I use both my 4 a and iPhone 5 heavily plus have 2 other people on my account and they use their phone heavily and we haven't even hot 2 gb yet. I gave up unlimited reluctantly to add the wife an mom plus me an extra line to the account but so far no problems whatever carrier update came from Verizon. Definitely worked.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We have VZW and two iPhone 5. Figured we would be well into our 4gb cap but have only used 1.5 combined with a week left.

Since I missed the part about AT&T -- there was a patch released for VZW phones because they were running cellular data even when on wifi. Has that been done for AT&T? That helped a ton of VZW users.

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user. I watch Youtube once in a while usually when I'm at home. I listen to Podcasts on my long commute to work and back however they are all downloaded before I even leave the house. I can't give up my unlimited plan if my usage suddenly went up like that. The thing is I'm not using the phone any different than I did before. Even my wife who barely uses her phone outside of wifi exceeds what I used (with the same iPhone 4S she inherited).

If I wasn't on the unlimited plan, i'd be.... frustrated.

addiarmadar

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
It's either AT&T is misreading the data transmissions or the iPhone is really taxing the crap outta your data plan. Get one of those data usage apps that breaks down to the apps to see what you're really using and which uses the most. These results would then help apple/AT&T where the break is.

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
You have no idea how happy this makes me to find out im not the only one!

Last month i switched to a 10GB shared data plan. Right away i noticed a odd amount of data being used, and when i checked the usage reports it is almost ALWAYS 19.xxx MB usage chunks. This month alone, we have blown thru 13.8 GB's of data (mind you i have a 10GB plan!!!) one 1 iPhone 4s, and 1 iPhone 5.

So, i called AT&T last night and the customer service rep was baffled as well. He had me on hold for 34 minutes while he called apple to check into what could be using 19.xxxMB's. On my usage report, it says my phone used 19MB's every minute for 9 minutes straight at 541-550 AM. Which yes i was awake, but that isnt even possible to use that much data on a regular 4G non-LTE connection. And the worst part, both iphones are mirror images of usage.

What i personally think is it has something to do with imessage. I can almost perfectly line up my 19MB data chunk with iMessage usage.

Anyways, the AT&T rep said i should take both phones into Apple and he set an appt up, told me to have them replace them. He also promised me that i would not be charged for any extra data i used this month and credited me last months entire data charge. He *says* he put extensive notes on my account about this because it is so odd and then he had his manager come on the line to apologize for the trouble I am having and he also re-assured me my excess data would not be charged and i would not be throttled.

I hope someone figures this out. It was as soon as i switched to Shared data that this started. And as a side note there is three iphones on my account, 1 5, 1 4s, and 1 4. The 4 is broken right now and i am waiting for a new screen to come in. And the crazy thing is oct 1-10 all the phones where completely turned off because we were on vacation in the caymen islands yet somehow, i still used over 3 gigs of data!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had an issue last month with excessive data... Didn't stream or anything yet blew through my 3GB data limit not once but TWICE... And this was by about 2/3rds of my billing cycle.

I called AT&T and explained. Was right around when VZW issued their update for a similar issue (wifi data being classified as cellular data). Rep said he couldn't issue credit until after bill cycle and said would call me back.

Well sure enough about 5 days after my bill cycle got an email saying they credited my account $20 for the overages.

So it's worth calling AT&T and explaining your issue.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem and I just noticed it today. I'm only 9 days into my billing cycle and already I've used nearly 2gb and I am on a shared data plan. 2gb is usually the total usage for both phones per month!

humedini

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Getting a similar issue - I used 15GB over 3G in 48 hours while my iPad 3 was in my bag in a locked car while I attended an event the weekend after iOS6 came out. As my data cap is blown through I have had 3G turned off since so I am a but nervous about what's gonna happen next month. I'm going through making sure everything that might sync is turned off and gonna turn them back on one by one. Luckily my account has a block on it so when I got to ?50 over my bill they cut me off or I would currently be trying to sell my car to afford my data bill!

Quintus

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. To start troubleshooting I would check last iCloud backup. Run another backup and see how quickly it backs up or whether it is getting stuck in a backup loop. If the backup fails, you may have found your issue. Disable iCloud backup for a few days and see if your data problem disappears. If so, then you need to micro manage your iCloud backup apps until you find the problem application. Ironically, in my case it was the application DataMan which was causing an infinite loop in iCloud. Hope this helps!

Dudelove27

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello all

I am in Rogers in Canada and I usually was using less 1.5gb a per on my iPhone 4s. This month half way through my cycle with my iphone 5 and I have used 15gb which is ridiculous when I don't stream videos or do anything different than I did with my iPhone 4s.

I have called Rogers to complain they said they will have review at the end of month. I am a 6gb plan as we don't have unlimited in Canada. So I expect a huge bill which doesn't make any sense. I will call Rogers and hope they reverse the charges since this is not my typical usage.

Some apps must leaking data I thought it was apple podcasts app possible but not sure.

Any thoughts on what I should do.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
This is why I must have unlimited data. I steam a lot of music use the social apps all day and night long. I love sprint. We will have a very long relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dloveprod

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Mine is high too, I wasn't streaming much on the cellular plan, I even stopped updating apps over cellular, I don't know what's going on.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW