Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default How to easily add the new Outlook(.)com email account

Of course iOS5.1.1 does not have the new outlook(.)com easy setup so here's how I added my new account. Simply go to Settings>Mail,Contacts>Add Account... and tap the Microsoft Hotmail icon. All you have to do is type in your new name@outlook(.)com, your password, and replace Description with Outlook or whatever you prefer.

No POP or IMAP setting info required.

Thought I'd give something back to this community.

Global Posts
    2,968 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I set it up as Exchange for push. The domain is m.hotmail.com. And, yes, for Outlook.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts

I actually quite like the interface of outlook. The plus point, also because its relatively new, you might still be able to get the address that you want. I didn't get my first choice but i got my 2nd choice. But switching to another email account is never that easy. Unless there's a significant advantage over other email services. Hotmail is still a spam filled nightmare, not sure i'm willing to jump right in just yet. Perhaps just to try it out first.

Anyway, I set mine up as an exchange as well for push. Just to try it out.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts

I'm trying to set it up as Exchange but I don't know what to put for server.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by demonio View Post
    I'm trying to set it up as Exchange but I don't know what to put for server.
    Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    I set it up as Exchange for push. The domain is m.hotmail.com. And, yes, for Outlook.
    Just use that.

Global Posts
    2,968 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

It'll even automatically fill in the server for you once it's at that step.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Just an FYI, setting it up as a 'Hotmail' account uses Exchange ActiveSync settings. You can also use the Exchange option with m.hotmail.com as the server, but it isn't necessary.

Global Posts
    17,275 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Hong View Post
    ...(snipped)... Hotmail is still a spam filled nightmare...(snipped)...
    I have to disagree with you. I can't remember the last time I got spammed via hotmail and it is my second most active email account.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Just add it as an Exchange account... Put your full hotmail address in, password, and description - and it will set it up as an Exchange account.
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Hong View Post
    Hotmail is still a spam filled nightmare, not sure i'm willing to jump right in just yet.
    Maybe you should stop signing up for everything and trying to win "free" iPads....

I've had my Hotmail account since 1999 and use it 24/7. I also use it for newsletters, etc. I get 4-8 spam messages in the inbox each day. I do email marketing for a living and the messages that get through will pass any email provider since they are well crafted.

If you are counting the Junk folder, that is a different story. I glance at it once daily but hardly every have anything in there that is legit.

As for Outlook.com - I love the new look. I've been very happy and I'd pay to have the option to setup pop accounts so that I can keep all of my email in once place since iCloud will not let me.
    ContractorRegistry.com -- A directory of local and national contractors for homeowners and construction contractors in the US.
    iPhone Nanite

Default help...

tried this but keep getting account cannot be verified???? and help greatly appreciated

Global Posts
    17,275 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by novice2 View Post
    tried this but keep getting account cannot be verified???? and help greatly appreciated
    You tried what??? Be specific please since you are not quoting anyone. If you setup your outlook.com account on your i-device via the Microsoft Exchange setup, it should take. It did for me and I did not run into any problems.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Default Re: How to easily add the new Outlook(.)com email account

I can use some help please. I'm trying to use Outlook.com mobile web via Safari (I dont want to use with iOS Mail) on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6. It works really slick EXCEPT, message threads are removed on any emails I reply to! And if I forward emails with attachments, they are stripped also. I really want to keep using this but its worthless without the whole message.

I found that there is a Hotmail app that lets a user log in to different Microsoft domains, Hotmail.com, MSN.com, Live.com, and a wild card "Specify other domain". But none of these will redirect or connect to Outlook.com Can that be right? Its seems like all of those do redirect to Outlook if you do it on a PC browser. Anyone with experience with this app and Outlook.com.

Thanks for helping me!

Global Posts
    17,275 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by hotkey View Post
    I can use some help please. I'm trying to use Outlook.com mobile web via Safari (I dont want to use with iOS Mail) on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6. It works really slick EXCEPT, message threads are removed on any emails I reply to! And if I forward emails with attachments, they are stripped also. I really want to keep using this but its worthless without the whole message.

I found that there is a Hotmail app that lets a user log in to different Microsoft domains, Hotmail.com, MSN.com, Live.com, and a wild card "Specify other domain". But none of these will redirect or connect to Outlook.com Can that be right? Its seems like all of those do redirect to Outlook if you do it on a PC browser. Anyone with experience with this app and Outlook.com.

Thanks for helping me!
    After reading your post, I logged into to my outlook.com account via Safari from my iPhone 4S running iOS 6.0.1 and I pulled up the email conversation that I had with my youngest son's teacher earlier this morning and the entire conversation thread was readily visible. The final email that she sent me contained the entire back & forth correspondence. I then scrolled down to the bottom of the page and selected "desktop site" or something to that effect and the view changed to that which coincides with a desktop. That view also contained the conversation thread. Unless I misinterpreted your post, I don't know what to tell you.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I just got my iphone 5, added my hotmail.com email address just fine. The thing is, I have a outlook.com alias attached to my hotmail, I dont have a password for my outlook since its an alias of my hotmail, so I cant add it that way. Im just looking to get the outlook.com alias added to my device so I can reply FROM the alias as well as the original hotmail.com address.

Global Posts
    17,275 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bigolyt View Post
    I just got my iphone 5, added my hotmail.com email address just fine. The thing is, I have a outlook.com alias attached to my hotmail, I dont have a password for my outlook since its an alias of my hotmail, so I cant add it that way. Im just looking to get the outlook.com alias added to my device so I can reply FROM the alias as well as the original hotmail.com address.
    Yes, you can. Set it up via Microsoft Exchange.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

The thing is, my outlook.com email address isnt an actual email address with a password, its just an alias, so it doesnt have a password to configure....meaning I cant go to , use my @outlook.com email and password (since it doesnt exist), i've tried my hotmail PW and my @outlook.com email, but that doesnt seem to work.

Global Posts
    17,275 Global Posts
    iOS Version

When the outlook.com thing came along, I had a hotmail.com account and I initially set up my Outlook.com address as an alias to my hotmail account. However, I was later given an option in the settings online (either Outlook or Hotmail), I don't quite remember which, that gave me the option to use the outlook.com as a primary and/or completely switch over to it. It's been a while so forgive me for not being so exact. Anyway, after I did that, I was given the option to have any email sent to my hotmail.com address forwarded to Outlook and saved in a folder bearing the name of my hotmail email address. After reading your last message, I sent a test message from my iCloud account to my old hotmail email address and that test message appeared in my Outlook.com account and my iPhone is configured to it, and not hotmail, via the Microsoft Exchange setup so I don't know what else to tell you, my friend. I'm not at home right now and I hope my reply was understandable.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Makes sense... and I think I found how to make my @outlook.com email my primary, BUT I'd like to keep BOTH @hotmail and @outlook email addresses and Im not sure if making the @outlook email address primary will break anything.

All Im really trying to do is add the ability to reply FROM either email address inside the MAIL app on my iPhone.

So if someone emails my @hotmail and I reply, I can chose reply from and chose either @outlook or @hotmail. Same thing if someone emails my @outlook.com address.
    iPhone Newbie

Including Outlook interfeys.Vverh relatively new, the same way it may be able to get the desired direction. I have my first choice, my second option. However, it is not easy to change to another email account. If you have a significant advantage of e-mail service. Hotmail spam is a nightmare, I do not know what you are to move to the right time. Maybe you just give it a try for the first time.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    After reading your post, I logged into to my outlook.com account via Safari from my iPhone 4S running iOS 6.0.1 and I pulled up the email conversation that I had with my youngest son's teacher earlier this morning and the entire conversation thread was readily visible. The final email that she sent me contained the entire back & forth correspondence. I then scrolled down to the bottom of the page and selected "desktop site" or something to that effect and the view changed to that which coincides with a desktop. That view also contained the conversation thread. Unless I misinterpreted your post, I don't know what to tell you.

I am having the same problem of my email messages being stripped when replying or forwarding on my ipad2. It makes having an email exchange difficult. I do not like the PC site because it moves very slowly. I also do not want to use iOS mail. Please help! Makes using the ipad for email worthless. I tried to call Microsoft & there is no outlook.com live support, only through the MS answers forum & the moderators never reply.

Global Posts
    17,275 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by gdp338 View Post
    I am having the same problem of my email messages being stripped when replying or forwarding on my ipad2.
    Define "being stripped" when replying or forwarding for clarity purposes, please.
    It makes having an email exchange difficult.
    If you're saying that part of the conversation thread gets deleted then I don't know what to tell you. As I've stated in an earlier post, when I login to my Outlook Mail via a browser, whether or my MacBook, iPad or iPhone, my email threads are readily visible.
    I do not like the PC site because it moves very slowly. I also do not want to use iOS mail. Please help! Makes using the ipad for email worthless. I tried to call Microsoft & there is no outlook.com live support, only through the MS answers forum & the moderators never reply.
    At this point, you don't have many choices, my friend. You can either continue as-is or use either the built-in mail app or a 3rd party mail app to access your Outlook mail.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Since google stopped exchange support, I am planing to move my 2 domains to outlook.com, I did make email adress on outlook.com server, the same as on google apps, I did make MX record on my domain, allways work propertly, new emails arrived, but the one thing is very important, it is possibility to move all old emails to new outlook.com server?

(google apps) -----> (outlook.com)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

I am a MSN Premium subscriber and will be keeping that email address, but the changeover from Hotmail to Outlook also affected me. I experienced the same problem when accessing my MSN account on my iPhone or iPad. When I forwarded an email, the content of the email was stripped. (The recipient got a blank email, in terms of content. The subject was in the subject line, but the body of the email contained nothing.) I followed the directions below, and the issue was solved for me.

At this link: , you will find the following directions:

Mobile Outlook.com

Access Outlook.com on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch by following these steps:
    Tap Settings, and then tap Mail, Contacts, Calendar.
    Tap Add Account in the Accounts page.
    Select Hotmail.
    Enter your Outlook.com address and password.
    Select the fields that you want to sync. (I selected only MAIL to leave "ON".) Tap Save.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by bigolyt View Post
    The thing is, my outlook.com email address isnt an actual email address with a password, its just an alias, so it doesnt have a password to configure....meaning I cant go to , use my @outlook.com email and password (since it doesnt exist), i've tried my hotmail PW and my @outlook.com email, but that doesnt seem to work.
    Set it up as an Exchange account. Put your alias in the email field and your hotmail address under the username field.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast