iOS 5.2 wants: What should Apple do for the summer update?
11-02-2012 08:29 AM
- Rene RitchieEditorial DirectorIf 2012 is like 2011, we won't see a preview of iOS 6 until WWDC this summer, and we won't see a release until fall. That leaves a lot of time for an iOS 5.2 release in between.
But what would you want to see in it? Can't be anything big -- big stuff will wait for iOS 6.
What small changes could Apple make in the meantime, especially considering iOS 5.1 was so conservative?
Panorama mode for the Camera app? Podcast subscriptions in the iTunes app?
What's on your iOS 5.2 want list?04-05-2012 01:22 PM
- - add the ability in Phone to start to type Contact name and iPhone matches name and number. One tap dial from there. Too many taps required at present and Favorites just doesn't cut it. And, oh yeah, this feature on BBs for years.
- fix Reminders so that they can be viewed by date, and not by date inputted only.
- add Attachments to Mail, so these can be added to replies without cut/paste or requiring email to start in another program.04-06-2012 07:52 AM
- Restoring to new can be a nightmare, because in-app purchases often demand that you click Buy, before they check if you have already paid. 'Restore purchase' should be mandatory. It would stop thieves like Ourgroceries from charging again and again for the same product. Apple won't touch in-app issues and when the moral is as low as with the affore mentioned company, they can just refuse to reply your mails and keep the stolen money. This is bothering the heck out of me!04-07-2012 02:03 AM
- The most annoying thing I want to see added, well re-added actually is a global notification switch. When apple gave us much more granular control over notifications for each app in ios 5 they also removed the global switch so now there is no way to just turn off all notifications bar for enabling airplane mode. I've never understood why they did this. Granted they gave us the option to disable notifications in each app but do you really want to go through each app turning them on and off each time you want to disable them all?04-07-2012 02:15 AM
- Additions I'd like to see
1. Landscape mode on the iPhone -just like the iPad. Don't really understand why is not done yet.
2. A global "turn off notifications" ability or preferably profiles for different scenarios.
3. More apps per folder. Make the iPad and iPhone the same
4. Faster iBooks opening. Mine seems to take forever.
5. Business search in Siri outside of US
6. Notification icon in top bar to indicate new items waiting.
7. Stop the crazy function that prevents iMovie/iPhoto from running on ipad1.
Sid04-07-2012 06:02 AM
- I would an option that would set the App Store to not require a password for free "purchases" and app updates.
I also find it annoying that every app purchase or app update kicks you out of the app store app and sends you back to the home screen. That makes it tedious if you are updating individual apps.
It would also be nice to see the size of the updates listed on the update list so that I can decide if I want it bad enough to update over 3G or if I can wait until I am on Wi-Fi.
Last edited by dvdmovieking; 04-07-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Spelling error.04-07-2012 08:44 AM
- Unless the iPhone 4S battery issue is a hardware problem, then PLEASE APPLE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX IT!! I will upgrade immediately, sacrificing my jailbreak, if only it will get my battery life to at least exceed the life my 3G had!04-07-2012 03:29 PM
- I would like to see:
iCloud sync for keyboard shortcuts and "Now Playing" song in Music.app.
iCloud icon next to undownloaded iTunes Match songs in Cover Flow and Spotlight.
Have toggle for hiding undownloaded iTunes Match work across in-app access, Cover Flow, and Spotlight.
Ability to message (or, actually, just the whole action menu) from the Lockscreen camera.
Add 2-minute interval repeats for Reminders just like Messages.
"Clear All" button for completed list in Reminders.app.
Ability to reorder reminders within a list.
Precision time selection for Reminder alerts (instead of current 5 minute intervals).
Message option in action menu for Notes.app.
Swipe to right gesture for Notes.app list like Mail.app on iPad.
Forward/Back gesture for Safari on iPad like OS X Lion.
AirPlay support app-wide in voice Memos.
Move settings for Game Center to pane in Settings.app instead of under "Account" section.
Ability to remove games directly from within Game center.app.
Add "Favorites" section to Friends section of Game Center.app in place of "Recents" tab.
Expanded feature set for YouTube app.
Page swipe animation in Contacts.app on iPad like in Calendar.
Option to hide undownloaded music videos from Videos.app just like with music when using ITunes Match.
Provide short tone while on a call for notifications instead of playing tone through ringer and vibrating in ear. So annoying.
iCloud sync for ringtones and alert tones.
Optimize the shutdown spinner for the Retina Display
System-wide ability to dismiss the keyboard on iPhone with gesture in Messages.app.
Ability to one-tap call contacts from Spotlight via toggle in Settings.
Speed up the purchased sections of the App Store, iTunes Store, and iBooks Store. They're way too slow to use...
iPad: Show pic count for albums (next to titles).
Better differentiation/contrast between button states for Shuffle, AirPlay, etc. in iPad Music Player.
"Download Album" button on left column under each album cover when sorted by artist, "Download All" button moved to upper right corner, in line with artist, and make the left column with album artwork is touch sensitive for scrolling.
Proper alignment and spacing between all interface elements in iPad Music Player.
End repeat "after __ number of times" in addition to "on a date" in Calendar.
Global toggle for Notifications.
Sync Bookmarks and Recent Locations for Maps.
Unify scrubber popup for dates in Calendar and Reminders, and time in Voice Memos.
Unify button (Store, Edit, etc.) placement in iBooks between iPhone and iPad as well as unify "Edit" controls between iBooks and iWork apps.
Real-time swipe animation in iBooks akin to Lion desktop switching. Bookshelf switching displays this animation upon swipe.
So, all that ^ among many other little graphical fixes and tweaks would make me happy! haha I suppose these aren't all out of the question as I would consider some bugs and most are very small tweaks or fixes. Just this stuff would be my dream iOS 5.2.
Last edited by Avenged110; 04-10-2012 at 01:04 AM.04-07-2012 07:43 PM
It would take apple engineers probably an hour to put a notification icon into iOS, it's sorely needed, it's about time they pay attention to people that don't just play games on the phone.04-07-2012 08:23 PM
- Apple Software & Systems
- Legacy iOS
- iOS 5
iOS 5.2 wants: What should Apple do for the summer update?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD