iOS 5 pain points: What bugs you the most?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
iOS 5 is Apple's 5th generation mobile operating system, and it's come incredibly far since the original, non-multitasking, no 3rd-party apps, PC-bound original.

But that doesn't mean it's perfect. Not by a long shot.

There's still a lot of little things that drive us all crazy on a daily basis.

Whether it's being kicked out of the App Store every time you buy an app, or getting asked for your password every time you do an update, to the lack of any Photos-style file repository to find your documents, to lack of an easy way to manage privacy settings, there's a lot left for Apple to do.

So what bugs you the most about iOS 5 still? What little things could Apple do to make your daily usage just that much easier?

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This might be more of an iCloud bug than a iOS 5 bug, but iCloud push email and calendar notfications appear to be broken for lots of folks. There's currently a 35-page thread going with over 500 replies, over on the Apple Discussion Forums, of people frustrated with inconsistent push email. It's happening with new iCloud users, those that have migrated from MobileMe, and us legacy folks that still have a .mac account. Every solution you can imagine has been tried and the bottom line is nobody can figure out how to get it to work. Sometimes I get instant notifications simultaneously on my iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd Gen, MBA and iMac, other times one pushes but another doesn't, and sometimes when I wake up there are no emails shown until I perform a fetch by opening the mail app in iOS, at which point they all populate. Argh.

Also, calendar notifications between iCloud members, when inviting each other to events, is not consistent. Sometimes I get a pop up, sometimes I don't. Sometimes my invites go through, other times they don't get them.

Both iOS and iCloud backend should be looked at and tweaked. The best description I could come up with is that the legacy accounts have dirty databases, and that these have migrated from iTools, to .mac, to MobileMe and to iCloud. It's a mess. It's better...but needs tons of work. If Apple can get the PIM piece solid, I'll be able to fully trust it as I trust Google right now. Major point of frustration for many.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3377830?start=0&tstart=0

revfast

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The 3g facetime restriction is due to the high standards apple has and FaceTime over 3g will be very bad, im sure that will change when LTE gets into the picture. A far as installing apps not on the market i really believe that wont happen as well as the file system.

One thing that bothers me is the amount of error logging that gets saved on the phone, i know this is to help fix issues but if you select not to send any of it all of these debugs should be turned off (to help with performance) *im on iphone 4.

Another thing that bothers me is how memory intensive the iCloud components are. Don't get me wrong I love the features I And i cant live with out them anymore, but i just think that is an area where they nee to work on.

Like i said i have an iphone 4 so i dont know if these same performance issues are present on the 4s

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The 3g facetime restriction is due to the high standards apple has and FaceTime over 3g will be very bad, im sure that will change when LTE gets into the picture.

One thing I was happy about was that now I can download up to 50MB over 3G/fake AT&T 4G. That lets me download iPhone/iPad Live over the data network!

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
The only bug that still seems to effect me is when I edit any contact I get a duplicate entry in my phone book, both identical. It's then a 50/50 chance of losing the contact, because if you delete the wrong one, you lose both contact entries.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
The only bug that still seems to effect me is when I edit any contact I get a duplicate entry in my phone book, both identical. It's then a 50/50 chance of losing the contact, because if you delete the wrong one, you lose both contact entries.

I've also been noticing when I add new contacts on my iPhone/iPad to my iCloud account, I get duplicates and if i delete the duplicate, they both get deleted. But if I login to icloud.com theres only one contact there....its pretty weird.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Not being able to attach items in an existing email thread annoys me. Also, a way to keep saved game files available to be backed up somewhere. If I delete NBA Jam, I should be able to have a backup of my game data somewhere (I guess gamecenter) so when I decide to reinstall the game a few weeks later I just pickup where I left off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative