Tips and tricks many may not know...

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
iOS has tons of secrets and shortcuts buried away underneath all that code. We have tons of tips posted but it doesn't mean we know everything.

Have you guys found any good tips or tricks on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad you think new (or even veteran) users may find useful?

Things such as

- sliding the keyboard apart to split it on the iPad
- Multi-tasking gestures for iPad
- Holding down on .com to get other prefixes like .org, .net, or .edu

Have you found anything interesting on your iOS device or are there any shortcuts you use consistently you think other users may benefit from?

Last edited:

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just found out about the 5 finger pinch gesture to return to the homescreen on the iPad...its pretty sweet!

I agree. I've been a big user of the gestures on iPad more and more lately. It's gotten to where I don't use the home button much at all. I think Apple's vision is to get rid of the home button, eventually. A gesture-based interface lends itself to much more flexibility.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
No problem :)

You can also drag your finger across keys. So say I wanted to type a 3. Press the 123 button to switch to numbers and symbols but don't lift up your finger. Just drag it to the 3 and release & the keyboard will go back to default. Makes numbers & symbols quicker!

Now this one I knew about.
Thanks also for the tips link in your opening post.
Good Luck iMuggle

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Just found out today that on the iPad you can swipe left to right with four fingers between apps. Similar to on Lion and Mountain Lion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Camera tips:
-use a two-finger spread to zoom
-press and hold screen to lock focus/exposure
-use the Volume Up button on your headphones as a shutter trigger

Mail tips:
-you can now hold/drag addresses from one box to another (from To: to BCC: for example)
-highlight text for options to use bold, italic, or underline

Keyboard Shortcuts:
-enable text expansion to make frequently typed text easier to enter

Calculator:
-Turn it to landscape for expanded calculator options

Customize Spotlight Search:
-Settings>General>Spotlight Search lets you define what gets searched in Spotlight; if you wanted to, you could use it as just a Mail search, or just a Messages search, etc.

Make the YouTube webapp the default way of playing YouTube videos:
-for me this is often speedier than using the native app; instructions here

And finally, an oldie but goodie: Turn off "ask to join networks":
-Settings>Wi-Fi>Ask to Join Networks>OFF to stop that annoying popup that asks if you want to join every single network you happen to be passing by! You'll still automatically join your known networks, and can still manually join any new network you want.

Sure there are many more!

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
-Settings>Wi-Fi>Ask to Join Networks>OFF to stop that annoying popup that asks if you want to join every single network you happen to be passing by! You'll still automatically join your known networks, and can still manually join any new network you want.

Thank you....this drives me crazy. LOL.

aawilson

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
My favorite new discovery is asisstive touch. Anyone tried it? For power users with stock iOS this is as close as we get to stuff like sbsettings and activator. It gives me a software home button, quick access to volume, lock, and rotate. And then I've set gestures for scroll up, down, left and right. Good on big websites or on an app filled springboard, or even to summon or dismiss the notification center. I saw one YouTube video where a guy set a gesture to play Angry Birds for him and it beat the whole level. I was using this other day to switch apps and I asked my friend if he'd ever tried it, he said "what is that thing?" So something I find really useful and I don't know if many people know about it. Just thought I'd share. If you want to see what I'm talking about:
1) go into settings > general
2) scroll to accessibility
3) scroll to asisstive touch > on
4) Start inventing gestures or just save your hardware home and lock buttons!

Reactions: TurboTiger

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
My favorite new discovery is asisstive touch. Anyone tried it? For power users with stock iOS this is as close as we get to stuff like sbsettings and activator. It gives me a software home button, quick access to volume, lock, and rotate. And then I've set gestures for scroll up, down, left and right. Good on big websites or on an app filled springboard, or even to summon or dismiss the notification center. I saw one YouTube video where a guy set a gesture to play Angry Birds for him and it beat the whole level. I was using this other day to switch apps and I asked my friend if he'd ever tried it, he said "what is that thing?" So something I find really useful and I don't know if many people know about it. Just thought I'd share. If you want to see what I'm talking about:
1) go into settings > general
2) scroll to accessibility
3) scroll to asisstive touch > on
4) Start inventing gestures or just save your hardware home and lock buttons!

Tks for this tip aawilson,
I hate using the Home Button to close apps and remove apps from the multi-task bar.
Good Luck

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
iOS has tons of secrets and shortcuts buried away underneath all that code. We have tons of tips posted but it doesn't mean we know everything.

Have you guys found any good tips or tricks on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad you think new (or even veteran) users may find useful?

Things such as

- sliding the keyboard apart to split it on the iPad
- Multi-tasking gestures for iPad
- Holding down on .com to get other prefixes like .org, .net, or .edu

Have you found anything interesting on your iOS device or are there any shortcuts you use consistently you think other users may benefit from?
White on black under Settings>General>Accessibility

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Camera tips:
-use a two-finger spread to zoom
-press and hold screen to lock focus/exposure
-use the Volume Up button on your headphones as a shutter trigger

Mail tips:
-you can now hold/drag addresses from one box to another (from To: to BCC: for example)
-highlight text for options to use bold, italic, or underline

Keyboard Shortcuts:
-enable text expansion to make frequently typed text easier to enter

Calculator:
-Turn it to landscape for expanded calculator options

Customize Spotlight Search:
-Settings>General>Spotlight Search lets you define what gets searched in Spotlight; if you wanted to, you could use it as just a Mail search, or just a Messages search, etc.

Make the YouTube webapp the default way of playing YouTube videos:
-for me this is often speedier than using the native app; instructions here

Thanks! I didn't know about dragging addresses to different fields in mail. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i'm sorry but i find this very annoying. a friend of mine had to use it due to their sleep button not working and it seemed to always be in the way
I agree. I tried it out (assistive touch) and it nearly drove me insane. :) I'm so in-sync with how I use my device as-is that, as you've stated, turning on the assistive touch feature just gets in my way.

Last edited:

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I find this extremely helpful for long podcast titles:

Tap and hold on a song in Music.app to reveal its full name (in case it doesn't fit on screen). Same for Videos.

Reactions: zee921

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711