Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

4 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default Data Consumption

I am not exactly which forum to put this under, but I have a question regarding data consumption on any of the iphones that I hope someone can help me with. I am considering canceling an xm radio subscription and changing my wife's phone over to an iphone for her to use in her van instead. Other than her downloading songs via itunes and playing the songs through the van, is there any alternative that would allow streaming music that does not consume a lot of data? She will be on a 2 GB plan from Verizon and I am not sure of what options are available. I would say Pandora, but I am sure that probably most streaming services require a lot of data. Thanks for the help!

6,816 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

It all depends on often you plan on streaming.
    iMore Genius

20,835 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,716 Global Posts

load about 5gb of her favorite music on the phone, and shuffle the music on that, and save streaming for when wifi is available.

Streaming music on the go will blow through the 2gb plan in less than a month with even modest use.
    iMore Guru

1,545 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,577 Global Posts

Yupz 2gb is easy to go through with any streaming music application.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iPhone Pro

682 Posts
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts

i stream music about 5 hours a week, and I am already at about 5GB this month, but I do watch youtube videos and other videos on my 4S as well.......glad I have unlimited
    iMore Intermediate

136 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

To sort of put it in perspective, I don't stream music at all... Just browse, watch the occasional YouTube video over 3G, and use apps that require data.

Even at that, I'm still pushing just over 1GB of data used, WITHOUT streaming music. And I'm not exactly a 'Power' user, but factor in the standard app/browsing use with the streaming music, and you'll easily have yourself more than 2GB worth of data used.