If I restore my iPhone 4s will I be forced to download 5.1?

mkk255

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
When trying to jailbreak my iPhone 4s it says that it is already jailbroken. I want to restore my phone but if I do will I be forced to update to 5.1?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yep. you're best bet is to just wait until an Untethered JB comes around (if jailbreaking is your thang)

i hope you have patience like a nun!

mkk255

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Nah the jailbreak process doesn't even start, right after pressing the jailbreak button it waits a second then says "Device already Jailbroken. Detected Stash" or something.

So essentially the fix to this problem would be to restore the iPhone and then run the JB process, but this is impossible because if I restore the phone I automatically update to 5.1 and then can't jailbreak the phone.

I'm screwed for the most part, but I downloaded an iPhone 4s iOS 5.0 backup. Could I somehow enter DFU mode and use the file i downloaded to restore to 5.0?

I'll quote the original reply I got the above idea from:

Download the ipsw here iPhone, iPod, iPad and Firmware/Software Download and you have to restore manually. Mac, Hold down Option and click Restore. Windows, hold down Shift and click restore. Where ever you saved it, find it and it will ask you if you want to restore and click restore.

Would that work?

EDIT: just learned it's for iPhone 4 and below only

eh **** looks like im gonna get stuck on unjailbreaked 5.0.1 or unjailbreaked 5.1 either way im screwed

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yeah that sucks. sometimes this cat & mouse game gets old. don't get me wrong, jailbreaking is fun, i just wish it was more consistent

hopefully by the next untethered jailbreak there will be a way to save SHSH blobs on A5 devices. if not, then this will be a vicious cycle

if i were you i'd investigate a little more into your situation. maybe there's still hope. good luck!

mkk255

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah dude thanks for the information though.

I'm not too familiar with the jailbreaking community and it's ways, but do you have a opinion on the ETA for a 5.1 jailbreak on A5 devices?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with the jailbreaking community and it's ways, but do you have a opinion on the ETA for a 5.1 jailbreak on A5 devices?

nobody ever knows. in fact even the hacker who is working on it would have a difficult time putting a time frame on it. then when there is known knowledge of a ETA it is NEVER disclosed due to Apple closely watching (i'm sure). then out of the blue someone will post a image or video of a device running iOS X.X.X and evidence that it is untethered, basically tease us. at this point is when you'll know it is getting close

it's a waiting game that devoted jailbreakers are accustomed to and stay with previous firmwares until the next one is untethered, which can be days or months. you never get to join the excitement of when a new OS is released

if you have a Twitter account you can follow some of these hackers and get info here & there

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro