iOS 5.1 Bugs/Issues/Findings

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
9to5Mac is reporting a "major security flaw" with the lock screen camera access... they claim that if you have a password set, you can bypass the lock screen by opening the camera, going to the camera roll, and gain access to your phone. When I tried it, I could not get to the camera roll because of the passord (I got a screen saying that my phone was locked and that I needed to unlock it to get to the camera roll).

Can anybody get past their lock screen with this method?

In iOS 5.1, major security flaw with lock screen camera slider | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

After some further testing, this IS an issue. There are two settings for locking your phone... the Auto-Lock setting (values of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes and never) and the Passcode Lock (Immediate, > 1, 5, 15 minutes, > 1, 4 hours). I had my Auto-Lock set to > 1 minute, but the Passcode Lock was set to ON and IMMEDIATE. The flaw does not affect Passcode Lock > Immediate. When I changed the Passcode Lock to > 1 minute, I could bypass the setting and gain full access to my phone without entering the lock code.

The only way to prevent bypass is to set the Passcode Lock to Immediate.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
After some further testing, this IS an issue. There are two settings for locking your phone... the Auto-Lock setting (values of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes and never) and the Passcode Lock (Immediate, > 1, 5, 15 minutes, > 1, 4 hours). I had my Auto-Lock set to > 1 minute, but the Passcode Lock was set to ON and IMMEDIATE. The flaw does not affect Passcode Lock > Immediate. When I changed the Passcode Lock to > 1 minute, I could bypass the setting and gain full access to my phone without entering the lock code.

The only way to prevent bypass is to set the Passcode Lock to Immediate.

How is that an issue? They are two separate settings and work as indicated. It's not a flaw. I like my lock screen time and passcode lock times to be different so that if I need to wake the phone up 30 seconds after I lock it, I don't have to punch in a code (like if I forgot to add a reminder or something). More than that and I want to have to enter the passcode.

If someone wants immediate lock, then passcode needs to be set to immediate and nothing longer.

This is not a flaw, it is expected behavior based on the settings.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
How is that an issue? They are two separate settings and work as indicated. It's not a flaw. I like my lock screen time and passcode lock times to be different so that if I need to wake the phone up 30 seconds after I lock it, I don't have to punch in a code (like if I forgot to add a reminder or something). More than that and I want to have to enter the passcode.

If someone wants immediate lock, then passcode needs to be set to immediate and nothing longer.

This is not a flaw, it is expected behavior based on the settings.

The issue is NOT the one you describe... that post was meant to explain why I was not able to recreate the security flaw described in the referenced link... (This was not initially clear in the linked article, as the video that shows the flaw was not in the initial article. It has been added to demonstrate the flaw.)

The issue is that IF the Passcode Lock is NOT set to IMMEDIATE, one can bypass the security lock code via the lockscreen camera access.

To verify the flaw:

1. Make sure Passcode Lock is set to something other than IMMEDUATE
  2. Have a passcode lock set
  3. Lock your phone
  4. On the lock screen, slide the CAMERA icon up to open the camera app
  5. Tap on the little icon in the lower left corner of the app to access your Camera Roll
  6. From the Camera Roll app, tap the Home button
  7. You now have full access to your phone without entering the lockscreen code

THAT, sportsfans, is the security flaw.

Last edited:
Reactions: so.long.pre

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The issue is NOT the one you describe... that post was meant to explain why I was not able to recreate the security flaw described in the referenced link... (This was not initially clear in the linked article, as the video that shows the flaw was not in the initial article. It has been added to demonstrate the flaw.)

The issue is that IF the Passcode Lock is NOT set to IMMEDIATE, one can bypass the security lock code via the lockscreen camera access.

To verify the flaw:

3. Lock your phone
  4. Wait for longer than the time you set in step 1
  5. On the lock screen, slide the CAMERA icon up to open the camera app
  6. Tap on the little icon in the lower left corner of the app to access your Camera Roll
  7. From the Camera Roll app, tap the Home button
  8. You now have full access to your phone without entering the lockscreen code

If you do that extra step I show above, do you still get past the lock screen?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

To verify the flaw:

3. Lock your phone
  4. On the lock screen, slide the CAMERA icon up to open the camera app
  5. Tap on the little icon in the lower left corner of the app to access your Camera Roll
  6. From the Camera Roll app, tap the Home button
  7. You now have full access to your phone without entering the lockscreen code

Wow. I tried the steps you said and it worked. My passcode lock was set on immediate and I tried it that way and couldn't get past the lock screen. I changed to one minute and it worked. I bypassed the lock screen completely.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
That's a pretty big flaw. I never liked having camera access from the lock screen anyway...wish I could get rid of it...

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This does not work for me - when I do the steps above, I get taken to a screen that shows a pic of a camera in the middle and it says "Your phone is locked. Unlock your phone to see all of your photos and videos. If I then press the home button, the passcode screen comes up

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Steve28, is your time set to "Immediately"? That is what mine is set to and it does not work. I think people are saying if it's set to anything other than "Immediately" you can access your device without unlocking.

I don't know if this is really a security flaw. It's a flaw, sure, but if you have your time set to something like 1 minute doesn't it make sense that it won't ask you for the passcode because the time hasn't passed? :confused:

gwhelan

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Photo stream delete only deletes the photo from the stream on that device ? Better than none but would like to delete from all devices

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

It will delete from all devices if the picture was taken after installing IOS 5.1. Previous pictures only delete as per the device they are on.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So I was on the beta 5.1 and I downloaded the GM 5.1 ipsw from one of the sites and reloaded my phone. I dont have the new camera on the lock screen and my phone says im on build 9B5141a. I tried to resotore my phone again but i was not able to, I kept getting the your phone is not elidgeble for the req file error. I tried it on 2 diffrent computers. Any ideas??

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I had this same issue yesterday, but realized the problem after reading in another thread that it was due to my jailbreak..so I just plugged it in and updated. Not really concerned about losing the jailbreak either

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you do that extra step I show above, do you still get past the lock screen?

After your post, I started thinking that you may be right... that the timer is now involved... but my still bypassed the lockscreen... so I tested on my wife's iPhone 4 and you must wait for the timer (in her case, 1 minute) to elapse before it required the password... AS SHOULD BE EXPECTED.

So I did a hard reset on my iPhone 4S and now it, too will only bypass the lockscreen until the timer expires...

whew... after all of that, I'd have to agree that this is "working as designed".

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Steve28, is your time set to "Immediately"? That is what mine is set to and it does not work. I think people are saying if it's set to anything other than "Immediately" you can access your device without unlocking.

I don't know if this is really a security flaw. It's a flaw, sure, but if you have your time set to something like 1 minute doesn't it make sense that it won't ask you for the passcode because the time hasn't passed? :confused:

After testing, I have to agree, that there is NO security flaw... if you set it to IMMEDIATELY, it's, well, immediate. If you set it to some other value, there us a timer involved before you are required to enter the password - exactly as one would expect. Steve28 is correct.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Auto-Lock = 2 min.
Passcode Lock = 15 min.

With these settings, I cannot get access without entering the passcode (as long as it's been at least 15 min since I locked the phone)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73