Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

Default How's your 4s battery life with 5.1?

I just got my 4S and battery seems worse than my 4, but I'm playing with Siri a lot so it's hard to tell.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It seems worse on my 4S too... Might try a restore and set it up as a new iPhone if it doesn't level out.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
     iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray (64GB) iPad Mini White (16GB) Mid 2014 MacBook Pro 
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts

mine seems worse because I'm always playing with siri, and I think Siri uses more battery then we think.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,248 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Rather impressive, check here.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Mine seems about normal, same as 5.0.1. Maybe a little better. I'm at 3 hours 19 minutes usage and 14 hours 39 minutes standby and at 36%. That's pretty good if you ask me.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Should add that I have been using "4G" all day and not wifi.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I've seen no difference on either my iPhone or iPad 2.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I've seen no difference on either my iPhone or iPad 2.
    Same here...

Global Posts
    22,258 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My battery life was already pretty good, but I can't deny that I've noticed an definite improvement in battery life with both my iPhone & iPad.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Mine seems worse than with 5.0.1
    iPhone Intermediate

I think it's still too early to tell quantitatively, but from an initial observation mine seems marginally worse than with 5.0.1.
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

slightly better than 5.0.1. Maybe 10% better.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So far I haven't noticed any significant difference.
    iPhone 6 - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's better then 5.0.1 on my 4S
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,497 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I can't tell yet. gonna wait a few days as suggested above.
    Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad Air Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Yosemite 10.10
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

If apple can't get it's great battery life back on 3G I find it hard to relieve the battery life of an iPhone with lte would be any better than current lte phones
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mine has pretty good a lot better than before on 4s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's your 4s battery life with 5.1?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1331421114.744892.jpg  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have to say it is better. I used to keep my brightness around 20% and now it I about 80% and only lost 15% while usin 1 hour straight. That is a huge improvement for me.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Mine sucks Verizon 4s

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Adawg1203 and Premium1 like this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

Personally,I do not think 5.1 increased anyone's battery life substantially. From what I can tell, Apple seemed to have made adjustments for when the phone is in standby, reducing drain at idle.

There are examples of people going a day or two without charging, showing high usage and having excellent battery life remaining since, the update.

However, the key is, how is the device being used? If I use my iPhone strictly to playback music guess what, I can show extremely high usage and can easily go almost two days before having to charge again. Conversely, if I use my iPhone primarily for making calls and a little surfing, with a usage of around 5 hours then, you can bet the battery will be almost fully depleted (by days end). I would factor in a reasonable standby time of 12 hours to be fair. But not even close to a day or more. This I think is more the norm.

I feel the overwhelming majority of people under mixed usage, calls, email, surfing, messaging, facebooking, tweeting, etc will get through most of the day (14 hours?)) before having to charge.

Again, I feel Apple tweaked the idle drain, and not, specifically, the phones features. For example, if the talk time for the phone was 8 hours (on 5.0.1), I do not think the update (5.1) made it 9 hours so on and so forth.

To really know if battery life changed dramatically (as proclaimed by some), a controlled test would have to be done. Two phones with the different softwares being utilized exactly the same way. That's the only way of knowing for sure.

This is solely my take on things...
    BLiNK likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by Adawg1203 View Post
    Personally,I do not think 5.1 increased anyone's battery life substantially. From what I can tell, Apple seemed to have made adjustments for when the phone is in standby, reducing drain at idle.

There are examples of people going a day or two without charging, showing high usage and having excellent battery life remaining since, the update.

However, the key is, how is the device being used? If I use my iPhone strictly to playback music guess what, I can show extremely high usage and can easily go almost two days before having to charge again. Conversely, if I use my iPhone primarily for making calls and a little surfing, with a usage of around 5 hours then, you can bet the battery will be almost fully depleted (by days end). I would factor in a reasonable standby time of 12 hours to be fair. But not even close to a day or more. This I think is more the norm.

I feel the overwhelming majority of people under mixed usage, calls, email, surfing, messaging, facebooking, tweeting, etc will get through most of the day (14 hours?)) before having to charge.

Again, I feel Apple tweaked the idle drain, and not, specifically, the phones features. For example, if the talk time for the phone was 8 hours (on 5.0.1), I do not think the update (5.1) made it 9 hours so on and so forth.

To really know if battery life changed dramatically (as proclaimed by some), a controlled test would have to be done. Two phones with the different softwares being utilized exactly the same way. That's the only way of knowing for sure.

This is solely my take on things...
    agreed. standby, for me and for most i am sure, is not as important as actual usage. one thing users are not posting along with their "fantastic" battery performances is their 'Call Time' and 'Cellular Network Data' usage details. here is where we get to the meat & potatoes, yet nobody does it. i also feel that some people are to worried about how, what and where they use their device due to them trying to get the most out of one charge. this has to ruin "the experience". if im having a heavy usage morning i'm not afraid to slap it on the charger for an hour

at the end of the day if i can get through a day of work, whatever at night and then need to charge late evening/night i feel i'm doing well
    Adawg1203 likes this.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

So after a few days usage my battery life is very solid on the 4S. I drained the phone down all the way and recharged it to 100%. Yesterday I had over 8 hours of usage that included about 1 hour of navigation, calls, texting, web browsing iPod usage and 17 hours stand by.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0 Beta1

Mine is much better before all I got was 5 hours noes I got 10 hours usage and a day stand by
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's your 4s battery life with 5.1?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1331530631.062233.jpg  
    Owner of : Verizon iPhone 6+ Space Grey 128GB and iPad Air 16 GB Wifi / Cellular
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Buck1127 View Post
    Mine is much better before all I got was 5 hours noes I got 10 hours usage and a day stand by
    Looks like you actually use your iPhone, compared to some of the other people who posted screenshots that only have 2 hours of usage :P
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0 Beta1

Thanks lol
    Owner of : Verizon iPhone 6+ Space Grey 128GB and iPad Air 16 GB Wifi / Cellular
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast