How's your 4s battery life with 5.1?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Hey Guys,
Can someone please explain what constitutes a cycle in battery terms?
I understand our device battery has a limited life of so many cycles.
So is a cycle each time your charge regardless of the % left or does it have to be below a certain level.
And what if you only charge it to 85% cause you're press for time - is that considered a cycle?
TIA

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hey Guys,
Can someone please explain what constitutes a cycle in battery terms?
I understand our device battery has a limited life of so many cycles.
So is a cycle each time your charge regardless of the % left or does it have to be below a certain level.
And what if you only charge it to 85% cause you're press for time - is that considered a cycle?
TIA

When someone is talking about cycling their battery it's a full 100-0 (or really close) discharge followed by a full charge. What you're talking about is a partial cycle. So let's say you discharge to 50% and charge back up, that's half a cycle.

Don't worry, you're not "using" a cycle each time you plug in, it's cumulative.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
When someone is talking about cycling their battery it's a full 100-0 (or really close) discharge followed by a full charge. What you're talking about is a partial cycle. So let's say you discharge to 50% and charge back up, that's half a cycle.

Don't worry, you're not "using" a cycle each time you plug in, it's cumulative.

Got it. Tks big9erfan
Good Luck

minitt

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi there everyone i just got my 4s which came preloaded with 5.1
plss have a look at the pics. Do u think its ok or i should've gotten more usage??

-wifi was turned on only when needed. usage=2.5hr
-edge/gprs was turned on for 30-40 minutes for using map
-Push mail off. turned on Fetch instead.
-Display brightness 45%
-No vibration
-Fiddling with the phone 2.5hr to 3hr

Battery Remaining 9%

Last edited:

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi there everyone i just got my 4s which came preloaded with 5.1
plss have a look at the pics. Do u think its ok or i should've gotten more usage??

-wifi was turned on only when needed. usage=2.5hr
-edge/gprs was turned on for 30-40 minutes for using map
-Push mail off. turned on Fetch instead.
-Display brightness 45%
-No vibration
-Fiddling with the phone 2.5hr to 3hr

Battery Remaining 9%

That's actually really good usage! I get Much less on my Verizon iPhone 4S.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So here's one for y'all...I just went down 10% with 33minutes of usage and 46 minutes of standby. Me thinks something is awry with my phone. I've already restored once....

jman94

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
My battery is amazing! Much better than 5.0.1. I currently have 3hr41 for usage and 15h34 for standby and my battery is at 60%

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Now that I've been monitoring for a few days I see some consistency forming. I'm losing 12-14% per hour of usage. I think that's ok with me. It gets me from 5:45am all the way through my work day so I have no complaints.

I'm not the type of person that will 24-36 hrs of standby because, well, I USE my iPhone. LOL

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I turned off Siri today, and it seems that my battery lasts about the same as when Siri is turned on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I turned off Siri today, and it seems that my battery lasts about the same as when Siri is turned on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I turned it off as well and don't notice much difference. I definitely have it where I must hold the home button to activate it though.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Mine was terrible. Managed to run it down during a one hour train trip into NYC. Was listening to Internet Radio (WQXR) using a BT headset. It would run down overnight with no use.

Went into the Apple Store in Grand Central Terminal. They warned me about Bluetooth, Location Services (GPS), and Notifications. Turned all these off. Did not help. Of course, with all these off, I was back to an iPhone 2.

Suddenly the problem simply went away. No longer runs down overnight. Cannot relate it to anything in particular. No software changes. No settings. I still have BT off but GPS and Notifications on. I am careful about known energy hogs like TomTom.

It must be a software issue, perhaps settings. I am surprised that no one seems to have been able to identify it.