Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default iOS device on exchange server, what can they see?

Not sure if this is the right location for this topic. Sorry

I am an outside sales rep and everything with work is remote.
    My employer has always allowed us to expense our cell bills. i have been using my personal iphone for work for years . they now want to save money and have everyone transfer ownership of the cell account to the company so they can bundel us together to save money. My employer uses Microsoft exchange servers. They now want everyone using this server. I will still own the iPhone, but will no longer get the cell bill, it will be paid directly by the employer. The account will be owned by my employer ( but I still own the phone)

What info can they access on phone?

Can they read emails from my personal email account?
    Can they see what apps are installed?
    Can they track me?
    Can they read my text messages
    Can they access photos
    Can they access personal info on the phone?

Thanks in advance
    iMore Beginner

The answer to all is no. The only thing an exchange server can do is enforce a key lock password or remote locking and device wipe (incase of theft or loss) which any good IT dept would do anyway.

If your company was to use the iPhone configuration tool they could enforce other policies like stopping app installs etc but they would need your permission to install this profile.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

A couple of items.

I would look further into and be careful with text messages. Since the phone number will be in the company name I would assume until I learned otherwise that they will be allowed to view messages on what will be their account.

If you would leave the employ of the company who owns the phone number? I am assuming that you would need to execute a Transfer of Service or similar document for the company to assume ownership and billing of the phone number. I have seen more than a few instances where this has gone bad when either the employee leaves or the company terminates and with no up front agreement on the phone number one or the other gets surprised.

As far as allowing you to place apps, photo's, personal e-mail accounts, etc. on the phone have they issued a wireless policy yet for review?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

If you're using your cell phone for work stuff, such as you've described, your employer does have the right to go through it and check things out. The reason being the employer has a reason to be interested on what's going on (along with paying the bill) and you have no reasonable expectation of privacy, because it's a company phone. If it were me and I have personal stuff I want left personal, I wouldn't want my personal phone to be my company phone. With that being said, every time I use my phone at work I open myself up to having my phone records subpoenaed for any relevant court hearings or what not.

Moral of the story, they may not be able to remotely access your phones details but you have no expectation of privacy on it so be careful what you away or download.

Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    If you're using your cell phone for work stuff, such as you've described, your employer does have the right to go through it and check things out. The reason being the employer has a reason to be interested on what's going on (along with paying the bill) and you have no reasonable expectation of privacy, because it's a company phone. If it were me and I have personal stuff I want left personal, I wouldn't want my personal phone to be my company phone. With that being said, every time I use my phone at work I open myself up to having my phone records subpoenaed for any relevant court hearings or what not.

Moral of the story, they may not be able to remotely access your phones details but you have no expectation of privacy on it so be careful what you away or download.
    You are on point with your reply. Before I retired in 2009, my last assignment was at City Hall and I personally witnessed incidents where mobile devices supplied by the City as well as emails were accessed from time to time. Anyway, great reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts

I too am an outside sales rep. I personally would never give up my cell number. It's more valuable to me than any employer. If down the road, they terminate your employment, they would own all the information you've worked hard to acquire. The whole privacy issue is another debate.

I think your best bet would be to keep your phone & your number. Let your employer provide you with a new number & new device.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    ...(snipped)
    I think your best bet would be to keep your phone & your number. Let your employer provide you with a new number & new device.
    Excellent advice and I'm in agreement with you...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk