Wifi Sync is GARBAGE!

scionwest

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Any reason why everyone still syncs? All apps are in the cloud so no need to sync over. My iTunes automatically downloads what ever app I buy on my phone. I can see using it if you don't do iTunes match I guess. I haven't synced in months. I just back up to iCloud and if I need to restore my phone, browsing through the apps on my phone to re-install isn't to hard.

Why do you guys sync still? Curious to know :)

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am quite content with the w-fi sync on my Mac. Every blue moon I get a can't find phone message, but overall it works 99% of the time.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Any reason why everyone still syncs? All apps are in the cloud so no need to sync over. My iTunes automatically downloads what ever app I buy on my phone. I can see using it if you don't do iTunes match I guess. I haven't synced in months. I just back up to iCloud and if I need to restore my phone, browsing through the apps on my phone to re-install isn't to hard.

I sync solely for my podcasts. And for that wifi sync works just fine.

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Would be great if it worked consistently. It'll work perfectly one day. Then the next day when I go to sync again, I either get an error message saying the sync session failed to start, or it'll start to sync and stop within 15 seconds without an error. To get it to work again, I usually have to reboot my phone (sucked even more with tethered JB), then it'll work fine til the next day. Other times, rebooting my phone alone doesn't work and I have to reboot the whole computer. Then it works again until the next day. And I'm sure it's not JB related because the same thing happens with my wifes non-JB iPhone 4 on a different computer. Really disappointed in this. Thought 5.0.1 would fix it, nope! :mad:
If there is a problem in a past version of iOS that a newer version fixes, it is reccomended you restore to the latest version instead of updating.

anon(814679)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

1. No iTunes Match, as you mentioned.

2. My primary way of listening music is smart playlists designed to constantly change. iOS 5 doesn't live update them. For that, I must sync.

3. Restoring older app versions when an app update crashes or has other bugs.

4. I have an app which used to be in the app store but was pulled by Apple: VLC. I keep a copy on the Mac.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm a music producer, and studio engineer. So I often put new mixes and beats on my phone to play in the car or my ipod dock in the kitchen. Plus other music, like mixtapes and other friends music that isn't available on itunes. My avatar is my album cover.

HarmonicDissent

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm a mac user and I find the sync function in iTunes to be poor at this moment. To be honest everything has become really convoluted with all the different ways to do the same thing. The problem with that approach is simple: it becomes more to troubleshoot and the only benefit is pretending your Microsoft and allowing an IT "individual" to talk about how flexible things are. The fact is... if you give more flexibility... you must troubleshoot more. Apple should be about approaching things the best way... They shouldn't water it down to appease perception out of fear of being looked at as non-innovative or behind. If they want to wirelessly sync they should have went all in on it and gotten it right. I wouldn't be in here babbling and pissed off if they took the time to focus on one thing to do it correctly. All I want is to move my music to my damned phone. It shouldn't an exercise in troubleshooting ever. The fact is: the iPhone sucks as a primary music device. It's in your way most of the time... you have to look at it just to change songs unless you use Apple's earbuds... but there's inconsistency with how audio apps work and the entire experience gets messy. There isn't a need to adhere to a philosophy. And I think that's a sad thing. That sounds like a company directed at having no culture as a benefit to me...

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm a mac user and I find the sync function in iTunes to be poor at this moment. To be honest everything has become really convoluted with all the different ways to do the same thing. The problem with that approach is simple: it becomes more to troubleshoot and the only benefit is pretending your Microsoft and allowing an IT "individual" to talk about how flexible things are. The fact is... if you give more flexibility... you must troubleshoot more. Apple should be about approaching things the best way... They shouldn't water it down to appease perception out of fear of being looked at as non-innovative or behind. If they want to wirelessly sync they should have went all in on it and gotten it right. I wouldn't be in here babbling and pissed off if they took the time to focus on one thing to do it correctly. All I want is to move my music to my damned phone. It shouldn't an exercise in troubleshooting ever. The fact is: the iPhone sucks as a primary music device. It's in your way most of the time... you have to look at it just to change songs unless you use Apple's earbuds... but there's inconsistency with how audio apps work and the entire experience gets messy. There isn't a need to adhere to a philosophy. And I think that's a sad thing. That sounds like a company directed at having no culture as a benefit to me...

You don't have to sync anymore. Just turn on iCloud music library on your computer and phone. Anything song or playlist you drag into iTunes automatically goes to the phone. You can use multiple computers with one phone as well now using this method. Its actually pretty slick now. And your music integrates with songs from Apple Music really well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2